Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

Sunrise

Quote from: Pubrick on October 30, 2007, 12:43:11 AM
still my favourite movie of all time (so far).

That just might prove prophetic.

It's great that this project is finally looking like it will go forward with Ledger and Penn on board. That's great news. On the Days of Heaven commentary Malick's collaborators mentioned multiple times how many projects has been developing over the last couple of decades...he just can't turn the corner and get them made. This one doesn't appear to fall into that category but it does make you wonder what other gems could be on deck.

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 19, 2005, 04:34:48 PM
I finally got around to seeing Days of Heaven. The only Malick film I haven't purchased. Beautiful film but I don't think I'll buy this one. Really gorgeous movie.

If this is still true...you're missing out. Certainly Days could fit into your buying schedule. And the new transfer is extraordinary.

MacGuffin

Pitt in talks to star in 'Tree of Life'
Sean Penn to co-star in Malick drama
Source: Variety

Brad Pitt is in talks to climb into "Tree of Life," a drama Terrence Malick wrote and will direct.

River Road is financing, and Bill Pohlad is producing with Sarah Green ("The New World") and Grant Hill.

Pitt, who recently ankled the Universal Pictures drama "State of Play," would replace Heath Ledger, who was skedded to star with Sean Penn in the Malick-directed drama, which begins production in the spring. Though Penn is booked to play the title character in the Gus Van Sant-directed "Harvey Milk," he's still expected to play a supporting role in "Tree of Life." Penn has an allegiance to River Road's Pohlad, who co-financed with Paramount Vantage the Penn-directed "Into the Wild."No deals have been made with Pitt or Penn. Pitt would have earned $20 million against gross to star in "State of Play," but he'll likely sign on to "Tree of Life" for nearly no upfront money.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Bigelow, Malick eye 'Held by the Taliban'
Based on New York Times reporter's five-part series
Source: Hollywood Reporter

How hot is Kathryn Bigelow?

Hot enough that mere interest in the project has sent waves across the town and the Internet, making it seem that the director of "The Hurt Locker" is attached to something she is not. And she's not the only one, because Terrence Malick is also circling.

"Held by the Taliban" is a package that has been out to studios that aims to adapt a five-part New York Times series about David Rohde's experience as a captive of the Taliban in Afghanistan for seven months. (The reporter was kidnapped with two Afghan colleagues on Nov. 10, 2008, as they traveled to an interview with a Taliban commander outside of Kabul.)

Stephen Belber, who most recently wrote and directed the Jennifer Aniston comedy "Management," is attached to adapt, and Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall is attached to produce in a package that went out to certain studios.

Bigelow's name was linked to their package, as the director expressed interest in the articles, which seem right up her alley in light of "Locker." But she is not attached, according to CAA, which reps her, or ICM, which reps New York Times.

In the latest development, Malick has tossed him name into the "Taliban" ring, saying he wants to act as a producer and pitch his take on the material to buyers. At this juncture, it is unlikely that Malick's and Kennedy/Marshall's projects could coexist unless there were talks to bring the parties together.

It's a testament to the strength of the material that "Taliban" is attracting Malick, a filmmaker reknown for being extraordinarily picky about his projects. While Malick's past projects, including "The Lost World" and "The Thin Red Line," keep him in the director's chair about once per decade, he has been slightly more active as a producer in recent years, including "The Unforeseen" and "Amazing Grace."

The deal for the articles, and who will direct or produce, is likely to be decided by the end of this weekend.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

If you had told me a year ago that in 2010, Terrence Malick and Kathryn Bigelow would be competing for projects, I would have punched you right in the pants.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 18, 2010, 02:46:09 PM
Bigelow, Malick eye 'Held by the Taliban'
Based on New York Times reporter's five-part series
Source: Hollywood Reporter

It's a testament to the strength of the material that "Taliban" is attracting Malick, a filmmaker reknown for being extraordinarily picky about his projects. While Malick's past projects, including "The Lost World" and "The Thin Red Line," keep him in the director's chair about once per decade...

INVALIDATED

Stefen

They got their dinosaur movies mixed up!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Terry Malick Romances Next Drama Film
By Nikki Finke

The notoriously reclusive filmmaker has lured no less than Christian Bale, Javier Bardem, Rachel McAdams, and Olga Kurylenko into the as yet untitled love story he's written and directed. Shooting begins this fall. Now FilmNation Entertainment has come on board to handle the international sales and distribution of the pic which will be available to foreign buyers for the first time at the European Film Market in Berlin. The film will be produced by Nicolas Gonda, Sarah Green and Bill Pohlad. Malick's previous films include: Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and The New World. His latest The Tree of Life is due for release this year.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

He's lining shit up like mad! Is Terrence Malick the new Steven Soderbergh?

Fernando

yeah, what a wonderful time for cinephiles.

now...where's the goddamn trailer of tree of life?!

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on February 03, 2010, 02:49:54 PM
untitled love story he's written and directed. Shooting begins this fall.

uh.. is he time travelling?

of course! that explains EVERYTHING.

including his 20 year hiatus.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

Yes, please!

Olga Kurylenko Talks Silent Audition With Terrence Malick For Untitled Romantic Drama
via: The Playlist

In a profile of thesp in the print edition of Total Film, Olga Kurylenko has taken to discussing an interesting audition she took for Terrence Malick's upcoming romantic drama which also has Christian Bale, Javier Bardem and Rachel McAdams attached to star.

"[The audition] was mute," Kurylenko reveals. "I spent an hour doing five different scenes that he had described. I had to say nothing. It was all in the eyes. Can you believe that? That was difficult, believe me."

However, the actress was well prepped for the audition having just finished playing a mute warrior in Neil Marshall's "Centurion" something she found humorously coincidental, "exactly, interesting isn't it? Every movie does it's own thing."

"Oh... I can't really say [anything about the film]," Kurylenko concludes. "You know how it is. But it's going to be cool."

Interestingly, the article also noted that Kurylenko had recently been in contact with Lars von Trier. No mention was made but the Danish auteur is currently casting female leads for his psychological disaster flick, "Melancholia." Coincidence?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on April 08, 2010, 09:40:51 AM
"[The audition] was mute," Kurylenko reveals. "I spent an hour doing five different scenes that he had described. I had to say nothing. It was all in the eyes. Can you believe that? That was difficult, believe me."

he stole that from kubrick. he is kubrick.

but then everyone would know that if they'd seen the Aryan Papers video installation i posted (please ignore the thread derailment). kubrick's audition process for Johanna ter Steege was similarly focussed on physicality of her performance. Olga Kurylenko's idea of what malick was looking for, that it was all in the eyes, may well be true but it's quite possible that he was also just looking at her hands or more likely her whole being. the idea is that this upcoming romantic drama might be Malick's first full on representative foray into the female theme.

to be honest his first exploration of the fairer sex is better phrased as the first time he distanced himself from masculine introspection. in this sense the first such instance would have been after the thin red line. the impenetrability of the female mindset is also too pessimistic a term for it, instead it's closer to an attempt to get at the nature of that which is most distant from our core definition of self -- and finding that it is a part of us too. in any case this all actually started with The New World, with its direct allusion between the mother and the earth, the mother and the water, pocohantas and the water. not so bluntly as that but i hope you get the bigger picture. just look to the start of the film, with pocohantas (UNNAMED OF COURSE) speaking directly through and with the water, her fluid motions as she dances with the wind in the fields, and the ending of the film as a return to the source. take my word for it, it's there.

and so while the film ostensibly is still necessarily about the conquerors, at least allowing them to drive the plot, the medium by which it plays seems to flow without restriction,. the narrative feels as freeflowing as the spirit that is released at the end of the film. malick is not concerned with male/female as he is concerned with the illusion of division in general. the good/evil ambiguity in thin red line transitions to the foreign/native in The New World. assigning oppositional values to things, as any Derridean knows, brings about the realisation that the one invariably embodies or has elements of the other. the journey that MAN takes in the new world is that of encountering, opposing, and ultimately surrendering to nature. the expedition from one land to another lies on the idea that stability awaits at either end. the journey itself is accepted to be transitional but what john smith learns is that the earth is all in transition, he returns to pocohantas with the illusion that her affection remains unchanged but any desire she had (she has his traits too) has given way to the effects of time.

while Tree of Life seems to be about men and boys again, the coming of age and specifically VERBALLY focussing on the father figure in any plot description we've seen so far, the female force must be the life cycle of the universe. the foreign/native illusion of the new world gives way to an exploration of the notion that our nature is shaped at all rather than gradually revealed. shaped/revealed. the differece in those two statements is the pull of time, one is caused the other is discovered. discovered in the sense of unveiling. the progression of the main human narrative which is shaped internally is now to be directly contrasted with the utterly massive life of the universe which is incomprehensibly distant in time, size, and all other measurements of scale. the connection between these two narratives is as natural as the relation between male and female, between native and foreign, us and the other, they all exist in a state of becoming each other.

the image this conjures in my mind is perfectly described at the end of the thin red line. it elucidates with such clarity all the things that i've discussed, it describes the feeling caught in the moment where the child becomes the man - looking back at the moment in childhood where the change occurred, the source, which is an instant as miniscule and incomprehensible as the passage of human life in the scale of the universe -- malick in the Tree of Life is looking at nature as an instant where everything meets itself, the release at the end of the thin red line corresponds directly to that in the new world, the scene i'm thinking of is where the soldier is looking at the land fading in the distance as he travels across the water and says the following:

I'm getting older now.
By no means old, but older.
Where is it that we were together?                  
Who were you that l lived with?
Walked with?
The brother.
The friend.
Darkness from light.
Strife from love.
Are they the workings of one mind?
The features of the same face?
Oh, my soul,
let me be in you now.
Look out through my eyes.
Look out at the things you made.
All things shining.

-0-
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Quote from: cine on March 03, 2007, 02:47:06 AM
hey pubrick, maybe stop posting your personal thoughts.

Pubrick

and now i flush myself..

under the paving stones.