Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

dufresne

i thought The Thin Red Line was a masterpiece...many people will probably disagree with me on this one.  I also thought Badlands was fascinating.
There are shadows in life, baby.

xerxes

i really didn't like the thin red line

dufresne

Quote from: xerxesi really didn't like the thin red line

lol, i honestly meant to write 'disagree' in my first post.  it's been edited. hehe.
There are shadows in life, baby.

phil marlowe

malick only makes movies when he has something to say, unlike many others.

SoNowThen

If ever the word "perfect" could be used for a movie, it would be Days Of Heaven.

...and Badlands is my nomination for best first film by a director.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

Mallick is a solid director with three equally ecsquisite films under his belt. I only pray (and you should too, and daily) he does at least one more film before he is done forever.

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

Quote from: SoNowThenI do.

And for that, I thank you...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenIf ever the word "perfect" could be used for a movie, it would be Days Of Heaven.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't seen TTRL...I am interested of course.

godardian

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: SoNowThenIf ever the word "perfect" could be used for a movie, it would be Days Of Heaven.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't seen TTRL...I am interested of course.

I think Badlands is still my favorite.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yeah, me too.

But ebs, you gotta go see TTRL fucking NOW! I mean NOW, son. GO! GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xerxes

one of the funniest moments i've ever had in a theater happened when i saw the thin red line.

i won't say which, but there is a scene near the end of the film that looks like it could be a final scene... like it looked like it was going to end there... so we get to that scene and everyone in the theater thinks it is going to end, but it goes on to another scene, and as it does the entire audience lets out a collective groan. it was amazingly funny.

Pastor Parsley

Badlands is my favorite, but Days of Heaven is by far the best of his works.  The Thin Red Line is well done but it didn't do anything for me. I've watched it several times and am amazed and bored at the same time.

Badlands is great....True Romance is basically a Badlands rip off.....they copied the music as well.  True Romance, although it's enjoyable in a sort of superficial way, doesn't pull it off.  Badlands on the other hand, is great.  Among many other things, it has the character development that True Romance skipped, and it goes a long way.

Malick is one of my favorite directors.  Many seem to think that in order to be considered a great director you have to produce a bunch of consitently great films.  One great film and everyone is anxious to see if you're a one hit wonder and just happened to get lucky.  If your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th films suck...in many peoples' mind, you suck and the 1st is considerd a fluke.

Those of you who have attempted or made a film, of any sort, know how difficult making a solid film is.  In my opinion, if you pull it off just once, that's enough for me.

Ernie

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyBadlands is my favorite, but Days of Heaven is by far the best of his works.  The Thin Red Line is well done but it didn't do anything for me. I've watched it several times and am amazed and bored at the same time.

Badlands is great....True Romance is basically a Badlands rip off.....they copied the music as well.  True Romance, although it's enjoyable in a sort of superficial way, doesn't pull it off.  Badlands on the other hand, is great.  Among many other things, it has the character development that True Romance skipped, and it goes a long way.

Malick is one of my favorite directors.  Many seem to think that in order to be considered a great director you have to produce a bunch of consitently great films.  One great film and everyone is anxious to see if you're a one hit wonder and just happened to get lucky.  If your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th films suck...in many peoples' mind, you suck and the 1st is considerd a fluke.

Those of you who have attempted or made a film, of any sort, know how difficult making a solid film is.  In my opinion, if you pull it off just once, that's enough for me.

Yeah, I blind bought True Romance before I saw Badlands and thought it was decent. Then when I heard about how it ripped it off, I saw it and fucking threw TR away. I still have to buy Badlands actually.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: ebeamanYeah, I blind bought True Romance before I saw Badlands and thought it was decent. Then when I heard about how it ripped it off, I saw it and fucking threw TR away. I still have to buy Badlands actually.

The only two things I really like about TR is the scene where Alabama is getting beat up in the hotel room, it's so wrenching to watch ......and Brad Pitt's little bits. "don't condescend me..."  He's great in that part.