Bruno Dumont

Started by wilder, November 27, 2011, 04:05:34 AM

wilder

Bruno Dumont & Juliette Binoche Team For 'La Creatrice' Based On The Life Of Camille Claudel
via The Playlist

Largely known as a filmmaker that specializes in employing amateur actors, it appears that the seventh film by Bruno Dumont will be led by none other than cinephile sweetheart Juliette Binoche. Considering the "Certified Copy" actress' determination to work with every auteur out there it seems like a logical next step for her, but for the French philosophy-professor-turned-movie-director it's some new ground. Maybe it's training for that eventual project with Tom Cruise (note: never gonna happen).

The source material is also quite different from his usual wheelhouse. Titled "La Creatrice," the film is based on the true account of the sculptor Camille Claudel who was injected into a mental asylum by her family, spending her last thirty years in the nut house without ever touching her art again. There's definitely plenty of meat in that tale, which fellow Frenchmen Bruno Nuytten would agree with -- his debut feature "Camille Claudel" shared the same topic and caught much acclaim, garnering two Oscar noms (Best Actress and Best Foreign) while taking a Silver Bear at Berlin and over seven Cesars (including Best Film) at the 1989 Cesar Awards.

wilder

Bruno Dumont Lines Up A New Project
via The Playlist

After taking something of a left turn with his latest, the lighthearted TV miniseries "P'tit Quinquin," Bruno Dumont is moving in yet another interesting, unforeseen direction. The filmmaker is sticking in the world of TV, preparing a musical titled "Jeanette" for the channel Arte. It is about the childhood of Joan of Arc, and is based on the works of writer Charles Péguy, who wrote poetry and plays about the religious figure and "her personal struggle to come to terms with evil and her despair regarding the coming of God's kingdom."

wilder

Google translation:

Bruno Dumont is planning a season 2 of "P'tit Quinquin"
via les in rocks

President of Arte Cayla said the director of the miniseries "P'tit Quinquin" Bruno Dumont, would be willing to make a season 2.

Just finished  P'tit Quinquin could already make a comeback. Guest of The Mediasphere on LCI this Friday, October 10, the president of Arte Cayla has delivered some confidences.

Asked about a potential Season 2 police mini-series directed by Bruno Dumont, she stated:

Quote"Bruno Dumont said he was willing to consider making a sequel. We were very keen I hope that it will happen."

wilder

Bruno Dumont Set To Direct Burlesque Period Comedy 'Ma Loute'
via Variety

PARIS– Cannes veteran Bruno Dumont ("Camille Claudel 1915″) will next helm "Ma Loute," a burlesque period comedy in the vein of his critically-aclaimed TV series "Li'l Quinquin," which world-premiered at Directors' Fortnight.
"Ma Loute" is produced by Dumont's regular collaborator, Jean Brehat at 3B Productions.

Set at the beginning of the 20th century, in a seaside village of the North of France, pic centers around the forbidden romance between Maloute and Billie who belong to two family clans who hate each other. On one hand, there are The Belforts, modest fishermen and cannibals, and on the other, the Van Peteghems, upper-class bourgeois known for being consanguineous and crazy thieves. Embroiled in raft of mysterious disappearances, the families are being investigated by two cops.

Dumont's latest – and seventh — feature film, "Camille Claudel 1915″ with Juliette Binoche, world premiered at Berlin. The helmer is best-known for bold, intimist dramas like Cannes players "Hors Satan," which opened in Un Certain Regard, as well as "Flanders" and "Humanity," which both won the Grand Jury Prizes.

Brehat told Variety 3B Productions will be casting high-profile thesps for the four main roles while other characters will be played by non-professionals as in his other movies.

Budgeted around 7 million Euros, the film will start shooting in August or September. Franco-German net Arte is co-producing.

wilder

Memento, Juliette Binoche board Bruno Dumont's 'Slack Bay'
via SCREENDAILY

Ensemble cast features Juliette Binoche, Fabrice Luchini and Valeria Bruni Tedeschi; sales to launch at Cannes Marché.

Memento Films International (MFI) has secured sales rights to Bruno Dumont's Slack Bay (Ma Loute), co-starring Juliette Binoche, Fabrice Luchini and Valeria Bruni Tedeschi.

The quirky, dark comedy revolving around an investigation into a series of mysterious disappearances on the beaches of northern France.

The film follows Dumont's Li'l Quinquin, the four-part TV series that premiered at Cannes in Directors' Fortnight last year to rave reviews and marked a change in genre for the director of Cannes Grand Prix winners Humanité and Flanders. Some 1.4 million viewers watched the series when it was broadcast in France in September 2014.

"Bruno Dumont's brilliant and hilarious script is a breath of fresh air," said MFI sales chief Tanja Meissner.

"We've always loved Bruno's cinema but Li'l Quinquin truly surprised us, becoming a cult item at once. We're very excited to work on this project which is bound to become one of the most unique, inspired, dazzling films of next year."

MFI will kick off sales on the picture in Cannes, during which a high-profile cast will be announced.

Summer shoot

Set in 1910, Slack Bay unfolds against the backdrop of an area along the northern French coast known as La Slack, after a local river that only flows into the sea at high tide.

Following the mysterious disappearance of several tourists as they relax on the bay's beautiful beaches, famous inspectors Machin and Malfoy are called in to investigate.

Their enquiries bring them in to contact with two families from opposite sides of the social spectrum: the troublemaking Bréfort ferrymen clan, led by a patriarch nicknamed "The Eternal", and the Van Peteghems, a decadent, bourgeois family who spend every summer in their imposing holiday mansion overlooking the bay.

When the Bréforts' most boisterous son Ma Loute and the Van Peteghem's mischievous daughter Billie embark on a peculiar love story, the lives of both families are unexpectedly shaken to the core.

Binoche, who previously starred in Dumont's Camille Claudel, has signed to play the matriarch of the Van Peteghems. As in previous Dumont films, several roles will be filled by amateur actors drawn from the locality of the shoot.

The production is due to shoot this summer in northern French, for a planned delivery in mid-2016.

The film, budgeted at $7.5m (€6.9m), is a French-German co-production involving Dumont's long-time Paris-based collaborator 3B Productions, French-German broadcaster Arte, Nord-Pas de Calais audiovisual fund Pictanovo and Berlin-based TwentyTwenty Vision with the participation of France's National Cinema Centre (CNC), Canal+, Cine+, Arte,  Arte WDR and the Nord-Pas de Calais Region.

MFI's sister company Memento Films Distribution will handled the release in France.

wilder

Berlin: Bruno Dumont Set for Joan of Arc Musical Drama
via Variety

Bruno Dumont, whose 2013 Juliette Binoche starrer "Camille Claudel 1915" competed in Berlin, will next be directing "Jeanette," a musical drama based on Charles Peguy's play "Le Mystere de la charite de Jeanne d'Arc.

Produced by Jean Brehat for 3B Prods., "Jeanette" the musical will focus on the part of Peguy's play that deals with Joan of Arc as a child, from age 8-12, when she started to embrace her sacred mission.

Arte France Cinema is co-producing. Like 2014's "Li'l Quinquin," Dumont's comedy-drama TV mini-series that premiered at Cannes' Directors' Fortnight and sold worldwide, "Jeanette" is being produced for television but will be repped by a sales agent for theatrical distribution abroad.

"Jeanette's" rock and techno score will be composed by Gautier Serre (aka Igorrr) and choreographed by Philippe Decoufle, whose credits include "Le Dernier Chaperon rouge" and "New Order: Substance."

Shooting will start in August.

3B Prods. is co-owned by Rachid Bouchareb, who is presenting his latest film, "Road to Istanbul," at the Berlin Film Festival. Sold by Elle Driver, the movie turns on a mother and her only daughter, a 20-year-old who has left Belgium to join Isis.

wilder

This apparently came out on blu-ray from Kino in November with absolutely zero fanfare

Quinquin is now a grown-up and goes by the nickname CoinCoin. He hangs out on the Côte D'Opale and attends meetings of the Nationalist Party with his childhood friend Fatso. His old love, Eve, has abandoned him for Corinne. When a strange magma is found near the town, the inhabitants suddenly start to behave very weirdly. Our two heroes, Captain Van Der Weyden and his loyal assistant Carpentier, investigate these alien attacks. The Extra-Human invasion has begun.

wilder

Early 2022

Twentynine Palms (2003) on blu-ray from Fractured Visions (UK)

David, an independent photographer, and Katia, an unemployed woman, leave Los Angeles, en route to the southern California desert, where they search a natural set to use as a backdrop for a magazine photo shoot. They find a motel in the town of Twentynine Palms and spend their days in their sport-utility vehicle, discovering the Joshua Tree Desert, and losing themselves on nameless roads and trails. Frantically making love all the time and almost everywhere, they regularly fight, then kiss and make up, with little else going on in their empty relationship and quite ordinary daily life--until something horrible and hideous brutally puts an end to their trip.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilder on November 09, 2021, 06:46:04 PM
Early 2022

Twentynine Palms (2003) on blu-ray from Fractured Visions (UK)

29 Palms remains a destination for hippies and independent-minded-filmmakers. I know peeps renting out AirBNBz there hoping to host the next Duplass breakout.

Well, it's been that spot for a minute, with good reason. And I look forward to what Bruno created there well before it became what it iz now -- a hub of poisonous potential.

WorldForgot

Well shit. If I had ever known that Quandt coined The New French Extremity for Twentynine Palms, I had forgotten. What I anticapted was something pensive, Antonioni esque perhaps. Immediately it's clear that there's ferocity in the relationship. But I didn't know it was New French Extremity canon - for good reason. A nihilistic, bleak Edward Hopper nightmare.

an excerpt from Quandt's now necessary review of whinging.
"The critic truffle-snuffing for trends might call it the New French Extremity, this recent tendency to the willfully transgressive by directors like Francois Ozon, Gaspar Noe, Catherine Breillat, Philippe Grandrieux--and now, alas, Dumont. Bava as much as Bataille, Salo no less than Sade seem the determinants of a cinema suddenly determined to break every taboo, to wade in rivers of viscera and spumes of sperm, to fill each frame with flesh, nubile or gnarled, and subject it to all manner of penetration, mutilation, and defilement. "

And then goes on to bemoan that Claire Denis too joins in on the 'fashion' with Trouble Every Day.

Gonna watch La Vie de Jesus and L'humanité on criterion channel next.

WorldForgot

La vie de jesus - definitely plenty to say about this film, but I'm not well versed enough in French cinema of the 80s and 90s to completely describe its place in history or contextualize it. I mention this because both of Bruno Dumont's first filmz sit wholly distanced from New French Extremity (which I am familiar with across different filmmakers and years). As a debut, you're assured immediately that Dumont has an interest in giving every actor a personhood. You also get the sense that within it; symbols exist, although nothing within the realism would dare ask you to depart from the realism experience into analysis.

Appreciated it as a work but didn't affect me like L'humanite or Twentynine Palms.

L'humanite - what a stroke of pleasant fate that this film was judged by Cronenberg's jury. Dumont's first two films aren't exactly slow cinema - but I wouldn't personally say they are as objective as the Bresson allusions in critique of his work might imply. Leaning more Haneke in my mind - its design as a film here leans on a thematic statement. Like its protagonist, this isn't experiencing detachment so much as the full weight of insubstantial transcendence. What if you were to know a totality, and your world changed not at all for it? In line with Pharaon De Winter's genre paintings, the scenes hold drama like auras around its cast.

Watched these both so late into the night that they gave me the same calm as Burning or Cronenberg's Cosmopolis. If I knew more about 'slow cinema' and its descendants I'd write more! Twentynine Palms must have been a shock to certain audiences after L'humanite, it's so different in approach (yet the photography remains engrossing).

wilder

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 26, 2021, 01:24:11 PMboth of Bruno Dumont's first filmz sit wholly distanced from New French Extremity (which I am familiar with across different filmmakers and years). As a debut, you're assured immediately that Dumont has an interest in giving every actor a personhood.

Dumont's first two films aren't exactly slow cinema - but I wouldn't personally say they are as objective as the Bresson allusions in critique of his work might imply. Leaning more Haneke in my mind - its design as a film here leans on a thematic statement.

Really liked the way you put this, WorldForgot.

wilder

'L'Empire': Bruno Dumont's New Sci-Fi Film Will Star Lily-Rose Depp, Adele Haenel & Virginie Efira
The Playlist

According to the French outlet, Les Inrockuptibles, Bruno Dumont has announced the cast for his upcoming sci-fi film, "L'Empire." The film is said to star Virginie Efira, Fabrice Luchini, Lily-Rose Depp, and Adèle Haenel and tell the story of extraterrestrial knights who land on the Opal Coast in France.

WorldForgot

UK imprint FRACTURED VISIONS is releasing Twentynine Palms

special edition extras:
  • Collector's Edition Slipcase with new artwork by Drusilla Adeline/Sister Hyde
  • Collector's Edition Booklet: Includes new writings by Martyn Conterio and Chris Campion
  • 6 Art Cards
  • Limited to 2,000 units
also including:
Audio commentary by Alexandra West
Audio Commentary by Travis Crawford
Road to Nowhere: Video Essay by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
Self-Annihilation: An interview with David Wissak
Two archival interviews with Bruno Dumont
Archival interview with producer Rachid Bouchareb
Uncut archival 'Making of' documentary
Trailer

In the U.S. you can order from Diabolik here ~