Jon Favreau

Started by MacGuffin, September 01, 2009, 10:39:25 PM

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Lottery on January 19, 2016, 07:34:01 PM
There are some moments where Favreau vaguely reminded me of Louis CK too.

YES.
I think that's what kept me in the movie at the beginning, especially his self-aware, sad and pathetic face while watching the Dancing Skeleton marionette on the street. Would I like it as much if I wasn't a CK guy who saw this?? Possibly. There's something about that attitude, man.

It got a bit cheesy at parts, but it oddly enough felt LESS commercial than some of his more recent films, even with Twitter popping up onscreen as a storytelling device.

Reel

Quote from: polkablues on January 19, 2016, 07:44:18 PM
it's just so perfunctory. It has the narrative momentum of a tour bus.

What a perfect word to describe it. I like Jon Favreau and was willing to go wherever he'd take us, but once they hit the road, it's like "This movie is OVER!" I was really disappointed in their making Cubano sandwiches the central focus of the menu. I've always thought it was one of the ridiculously simple sandwiches to make ( in terms of ingredients, seems like a lot goes into the pork ) and I find it hard to believe that everyone across America would be raving over them, as if it's such a rarity to find. I was hoping he'd specialize in more 'fusion' cuisine like we've been seeing more and more in food trucks these days. That kind of stuff, I could watch people make forever. There just didn't seem to be a lot of heart in the cooking. I wanted Favreau to throw in some recipe he whipped up in his kitchen late one night, and see THAT take off. Just to make it more interesting, even if not very believable.

This movie also proves my theory that John Leguizamo can ruin anything simply by showing his face