TV on the Radio

Started by hedwig, August 29, 2008, 01:38:39 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: pete on August 31, 2010, 03:36:19 AM
they're like TV on the Radio meets Muddy Waters meets Black Sabbath (I stole that description from Waxpoetics) so you should check 'em out:
http://www.myspace.com/thejuggsband

Ehhh... This is a bit of an oversight on all the comparisons.  Maybe they have some amazing songs that they for some reason don't post on their myspace, but as it is they sound less like TV on the Radio / Muddy Waters / Black Sabbath and more like Monster Magnet / Butthole Surfers / Reverend Horton Heat.

Not that the latter comparison is bad, but as far as I can tell, it feels more accurate of a description.  I can't really dig my teeth into their TVotR/MW/BS comparison other than to hype them up on the success of these other bands.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

I like TV On The Radio a lot.  Saw them twice last summer.  From what I remember the sound on SNL was horrible during their performance though normally they're great live.  The band even commented on it, maybe it's been adjusted for rebroadcast/NBC player, I'm not sure.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on August 31, 2010, 12:45:37 PM
Quote from: pete on August 31, 2010, 03:36:19 AM
they're like TV on the Radio meets Muddy Waters meets Black Sabbath (I stole that description from Waxpoetics) so you should check 'em out:
http://www.myspace.com/thejuggsband

Ehhh... This is a bit of an oversight on all the comparisons.  Maybe they have some amazing songs that they for some reason don't post on their myspace, but as it is they sound less like TV on the Radio / Muddy Waters / Black Sabbath and more like Monster Magnet / Butthole Surfers / Reverend Horton Heat.

Not that the latter comparison is bad, but as far as I can tell, it feels more accurate of a description.  I can't really dig my teeth into their TVotR/MW/BS comparison other than to hype them up on the success of these other bands.

ehh now you have to explain how they sound like those three bands that I don't listen to.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The singer sounds like the singer from Monster Magnet, they share a strong, masculine tone, almost kind of Nick Cave-y.  Vocally, they also share almost a gruff crooning quality with the singer of Butthole Surfers.  They share a rockabilly sensibility with Reverend Horton Heat, but that was a stretch because of it's semi-southern kind of riffs.  They are certainly not Black Sabbath riffs, nor do they maintain the heavy, doom-metal qualities.  I am at a loss as to how they even compare to TV on the Radio.  And maybe the Muddy Waters comparison could be reconciled with these southern vibes, but it bears no semblance to Muddy Waters' trademark frankness in lyrics or soulful voice.  In fact, the intricate guitar work of Muddy is just totally separate from the tricky guitar work of The Juggs.

Don't get me wrong, I really did dig these guys.  I guess just because they do have some loose comparisons to the bands you listed, but the shortcomings of some reviews is that they tend to exaggerate likenesses in order to hype a band, but it can lead to disappointments when those links are not vividly apparent.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Hallelujah! Now I don't have to search google every week for morsels of hope. I can now check every week for real news and developments.

TV On the Radio Return This Spring with New LP

Source: Spin
By Kevin O'Donnell
February 7, 2011 3:43 PM

TV on the Radio will return this year with a new album — their first since 2008's Dear Science, which was SPIN's album of the year — the band announced on their official site today.

Details are scant, but the Brooklyn-based art-rockers have revealed the LP will be titled Nine Types of Light and will be released by Interscope sometime this Spring.

TVOTR are also plotting their return to the road. They will kick off a national headlining tour on April 13 at New York's Radio City Music Hall, with more dates to be announced shortly. Tickets will go on sale Friday, February 18.

http://www.spin.com/articles/tv-radio-return-spring-new-lp

Gold Trumpet

First song, Will Do, is out: http://blogs.1077theend.com/aharms/2011/02/23/world-premiere-tv-on-the-radio-will-do/

Album drops on April 12. Tour begins soon after. First song sounds simplistic for them. Lyrics aren't too intricate and wrap around a soulful love feeling. On Dear Science, you could tell Tunde was in love by the lyrics. He still sounds in love so I hope it won't stunt the whole album the way it does with other bands.

Jeremy Blackman

With this band, I could never get past the vocals. It's nails on a chalkboard for me... sounds like some kind of primal pretentious screech. The lyrics just compound the problem.

modage

I would continue to give them a shot, sonically/texturally they're really interesting.  Additionally there are 2 different vocalists, one sounds more like David Bowie and the other is prob the one you're thinking of. Most of my favorite bands I couldn't stand the singers voice when I first heard it (Joanna Newsom, Magnetic Fields, etc. etc.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Which singer is the screechy one?

Gold Trumpet

What is your deal with the lyrics? That is their highlight to me.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm normally not in the position of bashing a band, but I'll explain...

The song that really gets to me is "Dancing Choose." It has the screechy/nasally vocals, and the delivery is so pretentious, like it's this amazing poetry, when it's basically a random collection of unclever ironies and nonsense. The whole thing sounds like a more arrogant (and more annoying) version of "We Didn't Start The Fire." As I've always said, when you make the lyrics so central to the song, they have to deliver. In this case, they just make it worse.

http://lyrics.wikia.com/TV_On_The_Radio:Dancing_Choose

Gold Trumpet

Could not disagree more with comparison to We Didn't Start the Fire. All the lyrics in that song are is a collection of references to timely events when the song was written. There is an aspect of random in Dancing Choose, but the build up is more in how a journalist becomes embedded in his own ego and is allowed to get away it because the people criticizing him will tend to become self interested after a little while of protesting. It's the modern youth generation.

Gold Trumpet

Heard the new album a dozen times without the aid of official lyrics. Sonic wise, they are going for density more so than any other. They continuously allow different textures of music to play off of each other. The music is engrossing and you keep hearing new parts of a track with every listen. The dedication reminds me of Return to Cookie Mountain. That album is amazing for its continuous repetition of beats and how it lulls you into the mindset of the lyrics that are personal but revolve around a historical basis. It allows the intended allusions to be elevated and felt on multiple levels.

Spin's review of the new album says the themes are restrained compared to their other work, but if this album is how they are going to relax their content, wow. There is a lot of ambition in the production. The possible fail point is that the lyrics are embarrassingly bad and do not ring true with either experience or good philosophical thought. TV on the Radio dances more than most bands in trying to find the most poetry out of their lyrics. When they are good, they leave you thinking they captured a fair amount of your experiences in just one song. When they are bad, all they are doing is imitating over embellished poetry. A few discernible lyrics in the new album are bad, but few of their songs are perfect all the way through. However, the music is always half of the story with this band. They have the best lyrics so I want to see how they grow with me.

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.