Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

modage

It's the best show on TV.  Every interview I see/read with Weiner only makes me respect it more.  This season is pretty different in tone from the previous 2 but I trust him enough to let him lead me anywhere.  I also feel like the last couple episodes have been knocking the closing shot out of the park. 

"And who are you supposed to be?"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

i've yet to read a really great weiner interview, but everything i've read makes me think he's super interesting. didn't see last night's episode, but i did see pete campbell coming out of a bar about a block from my house. dude was dressed like a mad man!

squints

Quote from: modage on October 26, 2009, 10:44:31 AM
I also feel like the last couple episodes have been knocking the closing shot out of the park. 

"And who are you supposed to be?"

completely agree with this.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

©brad

"I'm maybe more forgiving than the audience is, because they love the feeling of saying sometimes, 'Oh, this is so disgusting, so disgusting. [But if] he'd knock my door right now I'd fuck him for an hour.'" —Matthew Weiner on viewers' love-hate relationship with Don Draper

Full interview here.

picolas

yeah that was an incredible episode. i lived through don draper. when he felt trapped out of nowhere i felt trapped out of nowhere. when he let everything out i felt a massive burden being lifted, but in its place a whole new series of questions and problems. this is what moving pictures are all about.

SiliasRuby

One of the greatest episodes of this season. When I heard Joan's Husband say he's going into the army as a surgeon and mentions vietnam, my heart went out to him.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

we all must realize this season is all leading up to the kennedy assassination right? i wonder what they'll do with it.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

They'll probably pin it on oswald...fucking idiots
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

Quote from: squints on October 27, 2009, 05:32:45 AM
we all must realize this season is all leading up to the kennedy assassination right? i wonder what they'll do with it.

like everything else, brilliant.

there is so much going on i cant believe there is only one episode left. and it was great how they did the teaser with scenes from older episodes and didn't show anything that will happen in the season finale.

tpfkabi

i caught the JFK episode since my usual FBI Files wasn't on.

don't they put themselves in a little hole by giving the show an exact date (maybe they have done this throughout the series for all i know)?

it will cause a problem with the growing child actors i would think (unless they'll just throw a "my, you've really had a growth spurt" in there).
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Quote from: bigideas on November 02, 2009, 09:32:51 AM
it will cause a problem with the growing child actors i would think (unless they'll just throw a "my, you've really had a growth spurt" in there).
No, because they have no guarantees how much time will pass between seasons and Weiner has no scruples about recasting the children, (Bobby is #6, Sally is #2).

Quote from: kal on November 02, 2009, 02:59:52 AM
and it was great how they did the teaser with scenes from older episodes and didn't show anything that will happen in the season finale.
I also noticed (and loved) this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on November 02, 2009, 09:36:03 AM
Quote from: bigideas on November 02, 2009, 09:32:51 AM
No, because they have no guarantees how much time will pass between seasons and Weiner has no scruples about recasting the children, (Bobby is #6, Sally is #2).
[/quote]

Kinda like the National Lampoon Vacation children.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

JG

I'm predicting a huge jump in time next week! Maybe like 3 years or something.

Kal

Quote from: JG on November 02, 2009, 05:33:03 PM
I'm predicting a huge jump in time next week! Maybe like 3 years or something.

I didn't think of that. Could be very interesting but unlikely. Matthew Weiner loves details too much to skip through this whole mess and show us the outcome directly.

©brad

Last night's episode kind of sucked. The Kennedy thing brought everything to a screeching halt and wasn't nearly as emotionally impactful as it should have been. I don't buy Betty and the politician's affair at all, nor do I understand why he wants to marry her all of a sudden. Line deliveries continue to sound forced and over-rehearsed. And jesus christ who has been cutting these last few episodes. So many scenes are inexplicably truncated or interrupted for no rhyme or reason while other scenes just drag on and on. And why the fuck can't someone teach Matt Weiner how to effectively cut to a commercial. I've also had it with these filler moments of Don standing alone in the dark, making himself a drink, staring longingly out a window. Shit is tired and lazy.

I still love it though!  :yabbse-grin: