Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

modage

this coming sundays episode is great.  everyone watch.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

Mod, have you seen it already?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Spoilers I guess for this weeks episode....
The interplay between Peggy and Bobbie was great. Elisabeth Moss is SO sharp. And I loved the gags this week - Pete looking at the girly mags readying to produce a sample... cut to Sterling furiously paddling the ball. And Joan's line about the ring not needing to mean everything, and yet... the timing these actors have for the material is just excellent.  It BRILLIANT that Don and Peggy have some "thing" between them. And NO, I don't want it to be romantic. The thing is dirty and necessary and ugly and only the two of them know this stuff about each other. And I LOVE Don's quote to Peggy, "It'll shock you how much this didn't happen!" EFFING Masterful! I can't wait to unravel more the the Don and Peggy mystery. Again, not a romantic one.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

This show is the only one I'm watching during the summer and it just gets better and better with each episode but I have to say every one has their own heavily guarded demons. The weighty depression is as heavy as it is in 'Magnolia'. It becomes so palpable in some moments its tough to watch. Peggy, (Elizabeth Moss) looks sooo fucking hot in that second to last scene in the club. Duck letting the dog go was heartbreaking and said something about how he is dealing with his family as well as dealing with Draper. The last scene, the shaving scene with Don and his little girl is a bit disturbing. My hunger for this show is growing every moment. I can't wait till we get to see what happens next year IF the cover the kennedy assassination....

Anyone else seen tonight's episode? Its 3:30AM LA time so its a bit late to be saying tonight, but you get my point.

My Collection

pete

I'm ok with this show - its backdrop in the upper middle class 60s provides something very comfortable for the viewer - it's a world where everyone is infinitely more sophisticated and beauty but it's also a world where everyone is infinitely more stupid.  I don't know how many more lingering shots of the black elevator operator I can take.  siding with an asshole (albeit a tortured one) is riveting, but by now the gag's a bit obvious and played.  In season 1 there was a shroud of mystery surrounding the character, but now he's just an asshole who might feel less entitled than his peers, and feels like, guilty, for being an asshole, but bad boys are better left mysterious, rather than stupid.  just because the writer was aware of how backwards these beautiful people are didn't make me any less impatient.  I much rather watch a show like Burn Notice where even though the show's really dumb, the characters are much smarter than the viewers (as they might know foreign languages and physical properties of steel doors).  As for Mad Men, everyone on this past week's episode was stupid, though glamorously so, as often the case with television.  Fuck it, turn back the clock and give back your Emmy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

this flew way under my radar for long, but i think i decided i will go buy the season 1 dvd tomorrow... too many awards, critics and xixax cant be wrong.

MacGuffin

'Mad Men' Season 3 set for summer
AMC president optimistic creator will return
Source: Variety

AMC prexy Charlie Collier went right to the question on every reporters' mind at the start of the cabler's Television Critics Assn. panel on Thursday afternoon: The fate of the net's Emmy-winning drama "Mad Men."

The period skein will return for its third season this summer as skedded, despite the prolonged contract negotiations between producer Lionsgate TV and creator/exec producer Matthew Weiner, Collier assured.

"As long as we get the writers' room up and running over the next few months, we're fine (for a summer launch)," Collier told reporters after the sesh, adding that he's optimistic that an agreement with Weiner will be reached soon.

The return of "Mad Men" will lead into the launch of "The Prisoner," the six-part series remake of the classic 1960s Brit drama of the same name.

On hand for the TCA panel was star James Caviezel, who will star as "No. Six," the bewildered secret agent who wakes up imprisoned in a strange village in which everyone has a number but no name. Appearing with Caviezel was Ian McKellen, who plays "No. 2," the mysterious village official charged with extracting secrets from "No. Six."

Noting that the No. 2 character was replaced every time he failed to extract information from No. 6 in the original - the role was actually passed off between three actors in the 1967 version -- director Nick Hurran confirmed that McKellen will be around for the duration of the remake. "Perhaps you don't screw up," he noted.

Preceding the "Prisoner" panel, Bryan Cranston led members of the cast and crew from "Breaking Bad" through a round of Q&A. Sporting a head of hair that was absent during his best dramatic actor acceptance speech at September's Emmys - Cranston shaved his head for the season three shoot - the thesp rehashed the experience of winning his first Emmy for "Bad" after being nommed three times before for his prior series, the Fox comedy "Malcolm in the Middle."

"I was pretty comfortable with not winning, and I was prepared not to win," Cranston said. "And the first millisecond of that went by after they called my name, I thought, That sounds familiar. Then I realized, Oh my god, that's me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

'Mad Men' creator Weiner inks deal
Source: Variety

After months of negotiations, "Mad Men" creator and exec producer Matthew Weiner has cut a two-year deal with Lionsgate TV that will keep him at the helm of his Emmy-winning AMC drama.

Details of the pact were sketchy Friday, but it is said to cover Weiner's services on "Mad Men" for the show's third and fourth seasons as well as other TV development. It also includes a component for a feature project through Lionsgate.

Weiner's negotiations with Lionsgate became highly public last year after the showrunner let it be known that his contract on the show ran out after the second season, which wrapped in October.

Weiner sought a hefty pay raise for himself and in the show's budget after all of the pop culture buzz, kudos and critical acclaim the period drama has garnered.

Weiner in a statement said that "Mad Men" had been "a charmed experience" for him and credited AMC and Lionsgate as being "two companies who love taking risks and value creativity."

It's understood that AMC stepped up to help Lionsgate finance the seven-figure pact with Weiner. The talks were tense at times, as word spread that Weiner's reps were seeking an eight-figure deal and that Lionsgate was inquiring with talent agencies about the availablity of other showrunners.

Weiner nurtured "Mad Men," which he wrote as a spec, for seven years before it got a greenlight from AMC in 2006. Its third season is skedded to bow this summer, and now that Weiner's deal is set the writing staff is expected to go back to work immediately.

"It's a happy day," said Lionsgate TV prexy Kevin Beggs. "We're glad to have Matt back in the family. We look forward to next season and many more to come."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

So after finishing the second season I can't wait until the next one. The characters and storytelling reminds me so much of The Sopranos (probably because of the same people involved), and I never thought they could structure the episodes and story lines so well like Sopranos with a totally different setting and complex characters.

Great show and once again disagree 100% with what Pete said.

pete

what are you disagreeing with?  you didn't think the show was impossibly glamorous or hilariously un-pc?  Those two gimmicks costed them my patience, that was all I said.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

Quote from: pete on February 21, 2009, 02:33:44 PM
what are you disagreeing with?  you didn't think the show was impossibly glamorous or hilariously un-pc?  Those two gimmicks costed them my patience, that was all I said.

I dont see it that way, and I don't see the characters as stupid, and I don't think they need to give back the Emmy.

SiliasRuby

DVD and Blu-ray coming out in July. Already preordered mine.

My Collection

picolas

god i hope they do multiple commentaries on every episode again. that's the kind of thing i gladly surrender lots of money for.

picolas

Quote from: picolas on February 24, 2009, 01:28:14 AM
god i hope they do multiple commentaries on every episode again. that's the kind of thing i gladly surrender lots of money for.
i don't know what happened, but a lot of the commentaries this time around aren't nearly as interesting. it's like, 'you do realize you're being recorded, right? and people are listening for anything interesting about this obviously complex process you went through.' weiner is the most reliable commentary guy but he often slips into the deadly commentary sin of simply recounting what's happening in the episode as though you've never seen it. out of pride. which he deserves. every episode so far keeps giving, revealing more and more little amazing details i didn't catch the first time. obviously it's a very fascinating, layered show. but people: you're being recorded!!

Stefen

Christina Hendricks may be one of the most beautiful women in the world.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.