Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

Gold Trumpet

AMC announced today that it will renew Mad Men for a second season.  The second season will consist of 13 episodes beginning in the summer of 2008.  The Season One finale will air on Thursday, October 18th at 10PM | 9C.

"AMC's first foray into original scripted series has been a success right out of the gate" said Rob Sorcher, Executive Vice President programming and production for AMC.  "We're grateful that our quality-driven programming instincts connected with a passionate fan base, and we're looking forward to an exciting second season which will continue to spark broader cultural conversation. Mad Men clearly fulfills AMC new promise to be The Future of Classic.

------------------------------------------------------

That was the headline back in October announcing a second season. Season 1 is currently re-airing on AMC at midnight on Sunday nights. I was able to watch the first episode tonight and it's really good stuff. I'm only judging based on one episode, but the dialogue is well crafted without being unbelievable and the plot set up isn't being made to render standard television affair. All the characters have different motivations and the story continually references the sociological issues of the time. Plus the plot is unpredictable. It goes from situation to situation within the character's lives without the concerns of building smaller stories. Bad television shows seem to live and die on the essentials of 30 minute stories (some good ones do as well).

The other good quality the show has going for it is that isn't afraid to take on the subject matter. The first episode already delved full on into the racism and sexism of the world of big business advertisers in the 1950s. The show doesn't take on these issues with modern contexts, but offers realistic characterization to how people would have behaved then. The fact that the show is on basic cable makes one assume the show will avvoid the necessary adult situations to render a realistic portrait, but the show has few fears. I think it gets past the language limitations because corporate higher ups weren't overly swearing in the 50s, but they were committing adultery and leading a life without little concern. The show emphasizes their bravado well.

I don't know. I guess I'm not the best advertiser myself, but I hope people check it out.

modage

i want to watch this show.  i was going to wait for the dvd but maybe i'll try to catchup if AMC is playing them again now...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage on January 21, 2008, 08:51:48 AM
i want to watch this show.  i was going to wait for the dvd but maybe i'll try to catchup if AMC is playing them again now...

First episode just aired last night, but if you have Tivo or something, you're in luck.

SiliasRuby

itunes has them. Decent Show I've watched 3 episodes
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

last days of gerry the elephant

Mad Men Receives 16 Emmy Noms: Season 2 July 27 @ 10PM | 9C

Returning for its second season, the Golden GlobeĀ®-winning series for Best TV drama and actor will continue to blur the lines between truth and lies, perception and reality. The world of Mad Men is moving in a new direction -- can Sterling Cooper keep up? Meanwhile the private life of Don Draper becomes complicated in a new way. What is the cost of his secret identity? Season 2 Premieres Sunday, July 27 @ 10PM | 9C.

--
Anyone else staying home tonight for this?

pete

not rooting for it just because it's nowhere near the wire on any level.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SiliasRuby

Quote from: omuy on July 27, 2008, 07:37:21 PM
Anyone else staying home tonight for this?
I am, less than 30 minutes till season 2.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

amazing premiere

Spoiler...

who do you think don sent the book to?

End Spoiler...

My Collection

picolas

i've been watching this. i've been LOVING it. because it's a totally original version of the early 60's and makes every other fictional portrayal of it look like a caricature.

SiliasRuby

Last nights episode..
Just keeps getting better and better. No Pete Campbell in this one. Waiting for Don Draper to have sex with Joan...hasn't happened yet.

Spoiler
Don Draper getting a hold of Bobbie Bartlett's Vagina and threatening her husband to be kicked off basic cable was the ballsiest thing on TV I've seen in a while.
"I will RUIN Him!"
End Spoiler

Also, for anyone who is interested, wasn't it great to see actor who played 'Jimmy Bartlett' has been in many famous TV shows and movies such as Twister, Speed, Full Frontal, Ghost World, The Black Dahlia, Swimming With Sharks, but most of you might remember him from Mulholland Drive, as 'Dan' the crazy man who talks to his psychologist in the coffee shop. Am I the only one who saw last nights episode on this board?

My Collection

picolas

spoils

i just caught it. i was very surprised to see that guy. i have seen most of his appearances. he's always SO WEIRD and yet captivating. he should be one of lynch's regular ensemble. what happened to pete? i really really enjoy pete. is he on vacation?

"you're the head of the tv department. which consists solely of you." that whole scene was so good and cathartic after the build-up ..which is hard to come by. it seems like they're introducing a lot of new characters. which i'm all for. interesting season so far.. can't see the major thread yet.

cinemanarchist

You definitely don't see much vagina grabbing on the tube these days. I love it when Mrs. Utz says she doesn't have the stomach for it and it cuts away just as Jimmy B. starts to bite his fist. Awesome.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Ghostboy

I just watched the pilot tonight on DVD. Sorta kinda hooked already.

RegularKarate

I've watched the first disc and I dig it... not as much as everyone else seems to (though it's hard to watch anything after coming down off the wire), but I still enjoy it.

My wife watched it too though, and she's not so big into it.  This is going to make it harder to watch... can anyone tell me, without spoiling, if it gets better after the first three episodes?  Like something that will really hook her?  I really like the show's aesthetic... I'm in love with the time period.. handsome men in handsome suits acting unhandsomely.. fun fun, but if there's some kind of hook soon, let me know (without telling me what it is), so I can convince my wife to at least watch it until that happens.

SiliasRuby

Not sure when it really starts to pick up. I would suggest you stick with it though..

Regarding sunday night's episode:

It was wonderful to see colin hanks as the priest and some background to Peggy's family. I really enjoyed the end with Don and his wife in their bed.

My Collection