CRASH

Started by Finn, April 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM

killafilm

Quote from: analogzombieAt any rate, Crash strikes me as the moron's 'moving ensemble emssage film'. Much like Million Dollar Baby was. Both are overwrought and as blunt as a ballpeen hammer, completely lacking any nuance in the thinly drawn characters.

I totally agree, even though I have no clue what a ballpeen hammer is.  How are you supposed to care or relate about any of the characters when they are all stereotypes in the worste way possible.  I think I'll go as far to say that I hate this movie.

I think Crash is more likely to cause hate crimes than stop them.

cowboykurtis

the writer's efforts made me hate the color of my own skin.
...your excuses are your own...

Figure 8

I thought some of those racist slurs were just so bad.  They seemed like they were attempting to put in racist slurs where they didn't fit AT ALL.  But the movie did have some really clever (for lack of a better word) moments to it.

matt35mm

Okay, just so I have an idea... is this so bad that I should spare myself and never watch it, or watch it just so I have an idea what the hell everybody's talking about?

pete

nah, I think it's entertaining, just really dumb.  if you can somehow watch it and realize it has nothing to do with real racism, but, just a morality play with good actors, then you'll really enjoy it, like I did at the time.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Thanks.  I figure that I should, yeah, just because I'm kinda curious as to why so many people think it's great, and why so many think it's crap.  I don't think I'll think it's great, but I'm curious either way.

I keep confusing this movie for the Cronenberg movie.  Someone will say that they loved Crash and I'll say "ohh you kinky little devil," and they don't know what I'm talking about.

analogzombie

Quote from: andyk

What is so great about it? What made it so special that everyone loved it

it's the average person's ensemble drama. i.e. the poor man's short cuts/magnolia

the actors are familiar and not too deep (except for Cheadle and Dillon who offer the credibility), and the topic is overt and not too "artsy".

brenden fraser+ sandra bullock+ ludicris+ rascism= bullshit movie
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think Encino Man covered more about racism than this did.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

haha, speaking of movies that try to cover racism.
anyone remembers die hard with a vengence?
- Buster Keaton

modage

"i hate niggers"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I remember seeing it on Fox, edited for tv, and they digitally changed it to "I hate everybody".
- Buster Keaton

modage

i saw that too, which makes the scene totally hilarious that all the black people are getting so upset and offended at such a ridiculous sign.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

I love me some Die Hard. Remember the game for playstation? Die Hard was a third person shooter, Die Harder was a first person arcade shooter, and with a Vengeance was a car game. Vengeance was just fucking awesome as hell, trying to beat the clock and shit. Damn, I need to download that.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: modagei saw that too, which makes the scene totally hilarious that all the black people are getting so upset and offended at such a ridiculous sign.

No wonder the NAACP is in an uproar about the portrayal of Blacks on TV.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: GamblourI love me some Die Hard. Remember the game for playstation? Die Hard was a third person shooter, Die Harder was a first person arcade shooter, and with a Vengeance was a car game. Vengeance was just fucking awesome as hell, trying to beat the clock and shit. Damn, I need to download that.

First off, the movies are pure happiness for me. Especially the first one.

But, the games were great too. Again preference was the first. It felt like its own really good game at the time and I really don't like video games. You can download....how and where? I would love to play that again.

Apologies for going off topic.