Aimee Mann and Michael Penn - the official thread

Started by filmcritic, July 07, 2003, 11:41:44 AM

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

phil marlowe

don't take it seriously, sigur ros doesn't even know what the fuck he's doing here.

TheVoiceOfNick

I think Aimee Mann is one of the greatest songwriters of our generation (along with Billy Corgan... which is also the most prolific songwriter of just about any generation)... If you've only heard the stuff from Magnolia, its only the begining... you can pick up her greatest hits to hear more, or pick up "I'm With Stupid" and "Lost In Space" for a real treat.

I first heard about her because she did a live cover of "Wasn't Made For These Times" by the Beach Boys (one of my favorite bands), so I downloaded songs of hers and they were awesome... I went out and bought all the albums... my PTA obsession began around the same time as my Aimee Mann obsession did.

If you have the Magnolia soundtrack, but not Bachelor #2, go out and get it! There are some awesome songs on there that aren't on the soundtrack.

Nick

EDIT: Did anyone else notice that both Aimee Mann and Michael Penn  both have last names that are misspellings of real words, and both misspellings are because of the double 'N's?!?! Eeeeenteresting

ono

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickEDIT: Did anyone else notice that both Aimee Mann and Michael Penn  both have last names that are misspellings of real words, and both misspellings are because of the double 'N's?!?! Eeeeenteresting
"But it did happen."

Pubrick

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickEDIT: Did anyone else notice that both Aimee Mann and Michael Penn  both have last names that are misspellings of real words, and both misspellings are because of the double 'N's?!?! Eeeeenteresting
i believe that was michael's pick-up line.
under the paving stones.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: P
i believe that was michael's pick-up line.

Did he say "Eeeeenteresting" too? I bet that was the clincher.

Nick

Pubrick

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickDid he say "Eeeeenteresting" too? I bet that was the clincher.

Nick
funny u mention it. u would think that was enuff to bag a broad, but the real clincher was straight after when Michael asked her "how come u talk funny?".. and she was like "how come u smell funny." true story.
under the paving stones.

filmcritic

I was sitting in a coffee shop at an airport several days ago and then I heard Michael Penn's "No Myth" over the speakers. I was really surprised. I had never heard any of his music outside of my cd player.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Finn

Tomorrow Aimee Mann will be coming out with her special edition 2-disc version of Lost in Space. It has several live and unreleased tracks.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

From Entertainment Weekly:

Twelve CDs Aimee Mann Says You've Gotta Get - By Any Means Necessary - Right Now!

1. Elton John - "Madman Across the Water"
This is the first album I ever bought. I had never heard of Elton John, but I liked the cover. Just goes to show the value of a great package.

2. Badfinger - "Straight Up"
I used to call the radio station and request 'Baby Blue' relentlessly--until someone there asked why I didn't just buy the record.

3. Randy Newman - "Good Old Boys"
Someone played this for me when I was a teenager, and I remember how great and shocking and sweet I thought it was.

4. Elliot Smith - "XO"
He's probably been the single greatest influence on my songwriting. I can't tell you how upset I was when I heard about his death.

5. Loud Family - "Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things"
I love the arrangements, I love the little bits between songs...just perfectly conceived all throughtout.

6. Coldplay - "A Rush of Blood to the Head"
There are songs here I can't listen to without bursting into tears.

7. Liz Phair - "Exile in Guyville"
This record was really a bolt from the blue and completely changed my perception about how honest one could be in a song and the topics one could deal with lyrically.

8. Elvis Costello - "Imperial Bedroom"
Classic Costello lyrics and endlessly entertaining production--some of his best songs ever.

9. Honeydogs - "10,000 Years"
[My husband] Michael Penn turned me on to this. It's a concept album [due in Jan.] about the second coming of Christ... Oh, if every rock opera could be this well conceived.

10. Frank Sinatra - "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim"
The quietest, slinkiest, saddest record ever. Reminds you why 'The Girl From Ipanema' is one of the greatest jazz standards of all time.

11. Neil Young - "Harvest"
My babysitter brought this record over one night when I was a kid and I was fascinated. It had such a haunting and mournful quality.

12. The Zombies - "Odessey & Oracle"
Produscer Jon Brion introduced me to this record. I still think Colin Blunstone has one of the greatest voices in rock ever.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffinFrom Entertainment Weekly:

Twelve CDs Aimee Mann Says You've Gotta Get - By Any Means Necessary - Right Now!

Does she think i'm going to go out right now and get these CDs?  Who does she think she is?... ok, fine... she's only one of my favorite artists... time to go spend some money on Half.com again... (and just when I thought i was done spending money this holiday season)...

Jingles

Hey, I'm new here. I've been listening to Aimee Mann non-stop since I saw Jerry Maguire and Wise Up was in that. I got the Special Edition CD last year and that's the only CD I've been listening to since it was released. Puts Coldplay to shame Aimee does.
This is something that happens.

matt35mm

Her live cover of "The Scientist" is awesome.  And hey, she's not trying to put Coldplay to shame!  She's paying homage to a band she OBVIOUSLY and RIGHTFULLY LOVES!  So just... jingle on THAT, Mr... Jingles!

Finn

I actually think her version is better than Coldplay's.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Just Withnail

Quote from: JinglesHey, I'm new here. I've been listening to Aimee Mann non-stop since I saw Jerry Maguire and Wise Up was in that.

Coming to Xixax saying Jerry Maguire is the movie you connect with Wise Up ain't a good idea  :P But, welcome!