Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 86508 times)

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +113
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 13, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
Six more days wait for me, tortuous.

d

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #511 on: January 13, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
Need to watch it before the Oscars.

Why before the Oscars? It's your choice but you really wanna spoil the experience by watching poor quality screener? Look at the trailers or at least the thumbnails if you're staying away from the trailers and clips!

And from what I've read the screener may not leak anyway - this has something to do with the limited number of screeners being sent and those sent being audio watermarked but I might be wrong.

samsong

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +284
    • http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=samsong
« Reply #512 on: January 13, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »
+1

csage97

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #513 on: January 16, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
+1
Phantom Thread is finally playing at my local theatre on Friday. I'm so happy. :') I got a ticket for a screening just after noon in the best seat in the house.

Riley Jonathawinn Drake

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +7

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1466
« Reply #515 on: January 18, 2018, 01:56:55 AM »
+6
I was greeted with this tonight:
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #516 on: January 18, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »
+1
Fun facts from my theater experience:

Arrived early, so had to literally cover my ears like a crazy person as people walked out openly discussing spoilers.

In the auditorium, a large group to the back left came in chatting up a storm. Then I realized they were chatting about how they hate people who talk during movies. Sure enough they were silent except for the girl who giggled delightfully at appropriate moments.

Right before the movie started, guy to the back right inexplicably began reading a detailed plot synopsis to his companion. Had to shield my delicate ears once again.

Drenk

• Respect: +585
« Reply #517 on: January 18, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
You've made it! Unfortunately, I've been spoiled. Just some keywords...But by my own fault.

I remember this couple who was probably on a first date or something just after TWBB:

"So...? That's not your kind of movie?
óNo."
I'm so many people.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +398
« Reply #518 on: January 18, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
+2
I was greeted with this tonight:

Marquee it?
Some people have a fear of snakes. That was a somewhat rational fear. And you could do something about it at least. Stay away from long grass and nature documentaries. Easy. Others have a fear of heights. That was manageable too. Avoid tall ladders. But how do you cope when your fear is something you canít avoid? That you have no hope of staying away from? Being afraid of the sky, where are you going to go?

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #519 on: January 18, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
It looks like Rian Johnson will be on the Slashfilmcast next week to discuss Phantom Thread! I'll update if/when it materializes.

https://twitter.com/davechensky/status/954103552460206080

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #520 on: January 18, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »
Phantom Thread is finally playing at my local theatre on Friday. I'm so happy. :') I got a ticket for a screening just after noon in the best seat in the house.

Awesome, I'm excited for you! Hope you dig it!

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +783
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #521 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
+1
It looks like Rian Johnson will be on the Slashfilmcast next week to discuss Phantom Thread! I'll update if/when it materializes.

https://twitter.com/davechensky/status/954103552460206080

Very cool. Fun tidbit: I had emailed with Rian about writing a little something about The Master for C&RV back in 2012. I think he was into the idea but for whatever reason it never ended up happening.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

d

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #522 on: January 19, 2018, 05:48:37 AM »
You've made it! Unfortunately, I've been spoiled. Just some keywords...But by my own fault.

Does one of the keywords begin with "p"? Cause that's the one I have learnt before seeing it, saldy. Seems major but hope that that's not the biggest surprise. Well, in terms of the plot it probably is but I'm trying to convince myself that it's not a big deal. Spoiling the scenes, the way they are put together, lines of dialogue etc. is much worse for me. But then again it's so fuckin' hard to avoid that at this point with all the clips, gifs, headlines, even the giggles of PTA and/or the interviewer in spoiler-free podcasts. Movies should be released everywhere at the same time, right? Why aren't they?! At least PTA's movies.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:06:33 AM by Jeremy Blackman »

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #523 on: January 19, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »
Unfortunately, that probably is the majorest of the spoilers. But at the same time, this movie isnít quite as spoilable as you might think.

I actually wish I hadnít watched the trailer, not even once, so I could have discovered some of those beautifully idiosyncratic lines for the first time in the film.

eward

• Respect: +110
« Reply #524 on: January 19, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
Even if that detail IS spoiled as such, it's (while unfortunate) nearly impossible to spoil exactly how it factors in and what ultimate meaning it takes on.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy