any ryan adams fans?

Started by abbey road, May 21, 2003, 03:41:41 PM

polkablues

Ignoring... ignoring....

Just listened to "Jacksonville City Nights".  Um... that's, like, really country.  We're talking more country than "Faithless Street".  I'm not sure I'm cool with that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

ok honestly i've heard a few whiskeytown songs which i wasn't impressed with at all and i've not heard every single Ryan Adams song so i can't make general assumptions like i usally do...i'm a huge fan of Wilco...if that means anything...so some of you passionate Adams fans...give me at least a couple songs to dl that you think could convert a non-fan...
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Quote from: squintsIt must be said:

Ryan Adams.....

sucks....
period.
why? / he doesn't.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

noyes

it's funny. country is the genre of music that, like, the world is told to hate. and even if one does hate it from the bottom of their heart, if you're a real music lover, a lover of any fuckin' melody, despite what genre its in, is bound to unexpectedly like something like it that comes along. it's strange but not so strange that i really love this record. even as i'd never loved real country music, and hadn't ever listened to any Gram Parsons records or anything. ryan adams to me was the kind of artist that i can't really relate to when i first got into him, which was only about a couple of months ago (and i still can't to a certain extent). he's too eclectic, in a really bad way. gold has it's really good songs, and then songs that just don't speak to me. and rock n roll is just a jumble of rock n roll. with also a few sparks of goodness. i heard love is hell and was confused.. like.. "what genre is this guy? and why can't he just pick one?" (although i really love love is hell). then i heard cold roses and my pov changed. as Stephen Thomas Erlewine said on his allmusic review, "It's an assured, comfortable collection of 18 songs that play to Adams' strengths because they capture him not trying quite so hard." and i got that the second i read it. i'm no ryan expert, but i got that. he wasn't trying so hard and it was utterly and audibly evident. he was in a groove and it must've been the whole band thing. and then comes jacksonville. a record that, fan or not, if you listen to, you know comes from ryans heart. he's not trying to be cheeky or anything of the sort. he's writing music the way his heart would. so i ask the people that kind of like him, like polkablues, to really give it a shot. cause this record, in my mind, is undoubtably his best yet. as for squints, you like wilco and that's cool, as do i. but ryan, in essence, as shit to do with what tweedy and the guys are doing. listen to "the end" off the new record, or a really superb song called "firecracker" off his sophemore record Gold. if you don't like these songs, ryans not for you. maybe not just yet, maybe not ever.
south america's my name.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: squintsso some of you passionate Adams fans...give me at least a couple songs to dl that you think could convert a non-fan...

i'm a newly converted fan. but here are some songs that would make your assumtions about adams seem invalid.

whiskeytown:
wither, i'm a flower[i really, really like this song..if you dont like it...you can stop here]
dancing with the women atthe bar
bottom of the glass
the bar is a beautiful place

solo:
jacksonville skyline
oh my sweet carolina
to be young
bartering lines
this house is not for sale
magnoli amountain
sweet illusions
meadowlake street
mockingbird sing

theres some good ones imo.

the only thing that worries me about adams is that i hope he doesn't fall into the same category as john mayer would and all his fans are 15 year old girls wearing tacky lip gloss.

Reinhold

i can't get into him. i don't wanna hate him cause he doesn't SUCK, per say. but he's really not my style right now.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Reinhold Messneri can't get into him. i don't wanna hate him cause he doesn't SUCK, per say. but he's really not my style right now.

just out of curiosity, what's in your cd player right now?

EDIT:  just checked "now playing"

polkablues

Songs that will turn you into a Ryan Adams convert almost instantaneously:

"Sweet Illusions"
"So Alive"
"This House Is Not For Sale"
"Cherry Lane"
"To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)"
"My Winding Wheel"
"English Girls Approximately"
"Magnolia Mountain"
"Harder Now That It's Over"
"Political Scientist"
"Anybody Want To Take Me Home"
"Chin Up, Cheer Up"
"Come Pick Me Up"
"Firecracker"

modage

Sweet Illusions
Meadowlake Street
Mockingbird

Firecracker
Touch Feel & Lose
Goodnight Hollywood Blvd.

To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)
My Winding Wheel
Come Pick Me Up

Anybody Want To Take Me Home
Love Is Hell
I See Monsters

A Kiss Before I Go
The End

and i love rock n roll, but that's probably not the album to start convincing with unless you already listen to that type of stuff.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

the songwriting and arrangements for the new record are great, but am i the only one that thinks he should have done some more vocal takes on several of the tracks? they just don't seem as strong or in tune as on the last two releases. otherwise, i would really like this album.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

Quote from: modageSweet Illusions
Meadowlake Street
Mockingbird

Firecracker
Touch Feel & Lose
Goodnight Hollywood Blvd.

To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)
My Winding Wheel
Come Pick Me Up

Anybody Want To Take Me Home
Love Is Hell
I See Monsters

A Kiss Before I Go
The End

Nice, nice list, Mod. I would add Dear Chicago, Easy Plateau, and Silver Bullets and Trains from the new one.

That Mockingbird Song off of Cold Roses is currently devastating me. Fucking BE-A-U-tiful...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

ra & the c's performing come pick me up on letterman last week:

http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1M01ISKXSUKHY30JDBAEU791QY

i haven't seen it as the file is too big, but i imagine someone out there might want to see it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideas on November 08, 2005, 10:57:40 PM
ra & the c's performing come pick me up on letterman last week:

http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1M01ISKXSUKHY30JDBAEU791QY

i haven't seen it as the file is too big, but i imagine someone out there might want to see it.

Right you are, sir.  Thanks for the link!

modage

meatwad

Quote from: modage on November 19, 2005, 09:37:21 PM
the new Ryan Adams album 29 has leaked here:

what is the password?

EDIT: found it, it's "thenightmakesmoves"