Jim Carrey -- WAY too underrated

Started by cine, April 01, 2003, 10:20:30 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Film Studentexcept for P, who just constantly suckles at my teet.... ( he loves attention.. he's momma's favorite)

u better not try n pull budgie outa this chair

she's warm

[/tever]

Pubrick

Quote from: Pu better not try n pull budgie outa this chair

she's warm

[/tever]

Excuse me, Pubrick, but I do believe Budgie is currently gay with me and no one else. Refer to the lack of flirtatious shenanigans with yourself, indeed blah blah I hate my life. Except when I'm with you Budgie! And Jim Carrey. If Budgie looked like Jim Carrey I'd be a happy chappy, as my british 39 fork eating counterparts might say, pinky in the air of course.

NOW WHERE ARE MY GOLF CLUBS.
under the paving stones.

underdog

Quote from: CinephileJim Carrey is incredibly underrated as an dramatic actor. "The Majestic" did a terrible box office but it was a terrific film. Carrey's performance could've been nominated for Best Actor but no.. the Academy steered away from it.. but we can also thank that on part of the AUDIENCE WHO DIDN'T GO SEE THE FILM IN THEATRES. folks, this is the same director, Darabont, who made "Shawshank Redemption" and "Green Mile", two successful films (not so much SR in box office but when released on video)... why do people snub Carrey when he isn't doing something where he is effortlessly hamming up his colourful character role??
i think he did some that piss off he people who nominmated people. i think he should of  won best actor in the truth man  show
"This is my week off, so pack up,
take the kids, and I'll see you in a week"

Pedro

Quote from: Cinephilei think he should of  won best actor in the truth man  show

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?!!!

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiAnyone else who've had one of those dreams?
yeah dude back in the day i dreamt i saw the end credits of Wayne's World and it was almost identical to the real jokes at the end of it.. i was 10 at the time.

Quote from: mogwaiThis movie is gonna rock!
under the paving stones.

Duck Sauce

I watched Dumb & Dumber twice today and am seriously convinced its Jim Carreys best performance.

Duck Sauce

Does anybody know what Jim Carrey thinks about them making a prequel to Dumb and Dumber? Maybe a link, Mac?

USTopGun47

Is he not in it???  I honestly hate Jim Carrey and his work.  I found his substance very weak comedically and just a complete failure in his attempts at drama.  Too cartoonish in my opinion.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Ghostboy

I saw Bruce Almighty earlier this evening, and it is AWFUL. I love Jim, and was hoping (although the trailers didn't help) that this would be something in the vein of Liar Liar. No luck. Patch Adams was funnier than this. Every single funny gag is in the trailer, so you should just save your money and wait for Eternal Sunshine later this year.

modage

i agree that they used way too many of the gags in the trailer.  very disappointing.  i started a Bruce Almighty thread over in now showing in case anyone else will admit to seeing it!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sphinx

i taped carrey on letterman, it aired just about a week ago, he walked on stage with a bunch of cameras taped in different places on his body with cables running from them.  pure genius

the conversation shifted to the new movie and then dave started talking about the dumb and dumber prequel, in which jim said that they got people that looked remarkably like him and 'jeff', but he made it very clear that he was in no way associated with the movie.

the interview was hilarious overall, i might just post it up on xixax later today

Pozer

Quote from: GhostboyI saw Bruce Almighty earlier this evening, and it is AWFUL. I love Jim, and was hoping (although the trailers didn't help) that this would be something in the vein of Liar Liar. No luck. Patch Adams was funnier than this. Every single funny gag is in the trailer, so you should just save your money and wait for Eternal Sunshine later this year.

just about everyone in the theater I saw it in would disagree with you I think

It was good fun entertainment, I thought

godardian

I think the word "underrated" is being entirely misused on this board...

Is Jim Carrey a no-talent? Absolutely not.

Is Jim Carrey a genius (on film)? Probably not.

Does Jim Carrey get a lot of respect and a lot of slack cut for his often terrible films because he's just as often the one good thing about them? Absolutely.

Therefore, Jim Carrey, while not universally praised, is hardly underrated. He gets a lot of respect and deference, sometimes when, in my opinion, he doesn't deserve those things at all.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

sphinx

as many of the veterans know, i despise ______-rated.  i don't think it has any bearing on anything and is quite useless and difficult, if not impossible to judge.

cheers

modage

Jim Carrey is The Hypnotist at Revolution
Source: Variety Monday, October 13, 2003

Revolution Studios is in final talks to purchase Sacha Gervasi's romantic comedy pitch The Hypnotist, with Jim Carrey attached to star and Bob Cooper's Landscape Entertainment to produce.

The story concerns a world-renowned hypnotist who exhibits a completely different personality when not onstage. When he loses his powers, he has to woo a girl and fall in love with her in order to get them back.

Cooper, who is also working with Carrey on New Line Cinema's I Know That You Know That I Know brought the actor to the project.

Gervasi wrote the screenplay for DreamWorks' The Terminal, which Steven Spielberg is currently directing and stars Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones. He's also writing Comrade Rockstar for DreamWorks and Hanks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.