Gary oldman

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, March 28, 2003, 04:11:27 AM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

I've been thinking a lot about him, he did so much great work in the 80's and early 90's but he never became a household name.  I think he needed that one defining role that would of turned him from great actor to movie star, example sam Jackson in pulp fiction, or Kevin spacey in American beauty, mark whalberg boogie nights, George cloony whoever the fuck he played in ER .

I Know for us stuff like  Sid Vicious and Drexl Spivey were definitive performances, but they didn't make him a star, and now when i see him in stuff like in Hannibal and the contender, i just get that vibe from him that he may have missed his chance .

one theory im kicking around is that he should of developed a good relationship with a up and coming director . Someone who could of written for him a great part, or at least directed him in one, like in the case of Johnny depp and tim Burton.

maybe his lack of success has something to do with that fact that he got to fuck Uma in her prime, and no man deserves any more good luck then that.

anyways, im just wondering what you guys think about this

budgie

His lack of 'success', as far as I can tell, stems mainly from alcohol addiction and a healthy disdain for acting. He seems to have penchant for self-destruction.

I thought Prick Up Your Ears was the film that really established him, in the moderate way he is established. I guess he was never good-looking or safe enough off-screen to play conventional roles so he's ended up in pantomime and off-beat stuff, and being English hasn't helped him to become 'American'. But what's wrong with that? I'm looking forward to that Matthew Bright movie.

Another movie I love him in is Track 29, which I thought was really underrated.

©brad

He waz great in The Contender and in JFK as Lee Harvey.

Who can forget this performance?

americans love brits, how else would you explain our manic love affair with sam neil ???????????????

just this week work began on a new re make of the film superfly with sam neil playing the lead .

Quote from: cbrad4d
Who can forget this performance?

my point is he needs  1 right role to knock him out of quirky supporting parts. that one part that will let him shine and show the world who he is , like i said about kevin spacey in american beauty.

©brad

manic love affair with sam neil? the old dude in jurassic park? i think the only brit americans can't get enough of is Hugh Grant.

Cecil

gary oldman rocks. i like him in anything he does, no matter how "small" the part. he isnt a "superstar" i guess cause he doesnt do romantic comedies

Raikus

Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesmaybe his lack of success has something to do with that fact that he got to fuck Uma in her prime, and no man deserves any more good luck then that.

Lack of success?! Man, you are off your rocker. You're talking about THE Gary Oldman who just finished playing the Devil opposite James Brown AND Clive Owen for a BMW film.

Pssh! If that's not success, what is?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

phil marlowe

Quote from: cecil b. dementedgary oldman rocks. i like him in anything he does

ehm... the scarlett letter?

ProgWRX

-Carlos

Cecil

Quote from: Phil Marlowe

hmm, didnt even see that.

phil marlowe

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: Phil Marlowe

hmm, didnt even see that.

you be glad.

budgie

Quote from: ProgWRX5th element  8)

Are you saying good or bad? I love that movie, one of my favourites ever. Costume design superb.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: budgie
Are you saying good or bad? I love that movie, one of my favourites ever. Costume design superb.

Yeah.  What the hell?  I really liked the "5th Element," too.

Gary Oldman is one of the best actors around.  My favorite performance of his has got to be this one:

Love that movie!

MacGuffin

One of his best performances and in an equally great movie: "Immortal Beloved".

I'm sure he'll be a household name after millions of kids see him in the next Harry Potter movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks