Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

aclockworkjj

GT IS A YOOPER!!!!!!!!...hahaha, i love it!  Get a deer yet?  my old man pulled in a 10-pointer (nuttin' great, but enough for sum venison jerky...mmmm).

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTRGT,

I respect your opinion on this site but I think that sometimes you'd make a better literary or theatrical critic.  Often you ignore the importance of the actual filmmaking.  Godard is all about filmmaking and his stories, plot, etc is not important.  Godard's films are about an exercise in style.  I don't expect many of us to be moved that much by the story in My Life to Live or any of his other films.  The filmmaking is what is important.  My Life to Live, to me, is the best example of what someone can do in a film.  It has a little bit of everything and as I said before is an example of how to film a conversation 12 different ways.  There are so many interesting elements of My Life to Live that are there beyond the story of the film.  The social critique of prostitution (done in VO instruction manual style).  The relationship between Karina/Godard (the Poe story being told in Voice Over by Godard hilmself about a man who paints a portrait of his wife and takes all the life out of her).

I know how much you enjoy story and narrative construction, but when watching Godard you need to throw that out and just watch the film's aesthetics and style.  I'm not asking you to praise nor love Godard, just watch his films in a different way.

Fair argument, but with all due respect, I find that kinda funny. A few days ago, I was being criticized in one very large post for being too welcome to filmmaking over narrative and story. It was about City of God and my great praise of it when it first came out and how someone only saw it as an endless series of filmmaking tricks.

I'm fine with the idea of Godard operating as filmmaker. I just don't believe there is much quality in the filmmaking of his I've seen with the exception of Breathless. I think the high praise given to aesthetic's in being above other films are rationalizations for his shortcomings. I found the filmmaking in My Life to live not very exciting nor insightful nor really organic. I think these are filmmaking tricks. The fact that Godard revolts against convention of story does not mean in effect he has created an esthetics. You mention some of the ideas in which the film is to convey, but they are ideas conveyed in just one or two scenes. They like a dabs of paints thrown on a work that really is designated with stand still presence of Anna Karina than anything else. She wanders and idles through the entire film that  ideas and such are thrown but to no avvail because everything about her situation lacks motivation or spirit to really be anything involving or moving.

And you know what, some people have looked at this film as a great joy to watch because of its story. Roger Ebert, in his review of the movie for his Great Movies series, mentioned of the great charm and intrigue that Anna Karina's character had. People mention the physical similarity of Karina had in this film to one of my favorite people in all the movies, the silent actress Louise Brooks, but I'm glad none of them have gone so far to say they share the same quality of spirit and presence.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: aclockworkjjGT IS A YOOPER!!!!!!!!...hahaha, i love it!  Get a deer yet?  my old man pulled in a 10-pointer (nuttin' great, but enough for sum venison jerky...mmmm).

Naw. Haven't really had a chance. Too busy with work. Its been this deal for the last couple years. But don't worry, I make up by taking one out with my car. Nothing like protecting the environment.

pssstt....don't identify me as a "yooper". Most people don't know what that means and if they did know and also knew the stereotypes, it'd be quite bad.

Sanjuro

my 2 cents:

i think with godard its just a matter of preference.  for him, some things are just more important than other things. the way he makes a movie is because he think this is what makes it nice, this is what he thinks is beautiful, and so he shows it in that particular way.  i totally connect with him and get giddy with his films but i can understand why other people wouldnt.

spoilers
i love how in my life to live after his story is told he just BLAM kills of the main character just like that.  now some may say this is not that creative, but for a movie like my life to live this is the perfect way to end it.  its like saying the story has ended, we have no use of the anna karina anymore so why not just plain and simply without much drama just end it.  
end of spolers

godards films have these certain charm and it is in this charm where you find its drama, not in the story.  so i guess if you cant connect with this, it is impossible to like godard. he is just the type that is not for everyone.  

godards films are everything and nothing all at once.  he never set out to make a masterpiece. still i really believe he is one of the greatest that ever lived.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

SHAFTR

Quote from: Sanjuromy 2 cents:

spoilers
i love how in my life to live after his story is told he just BLAM kills of the main character just like that.  now some may say this is not that creative, but for a movie like my life to live this is the perfect way to end it.  its like saying the story has ended, we have no use of the anna karina anymore so why not just plain and simply without much drama just end it.  
end of spolers

I always looked at his endings like that, atleast in his earlier films, as a comment on Hollywood's all or nothing ending.  Either the main character dies or loves at the end, depending on their role (good or bad) in a Hollywood filmm, I think that Godard likes playing with that convention.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

GT you still haven't replied to what I said yet.
And no Kaufmann quotes.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenGT you still haven't replied to what I said yet.
And no Kaufmann quotes.

I haven't replied yet because I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and am going to rewatch it. I haven't rewatched it yet because it is a holiday and I am in the middle of family business. I'm going to try to watch it again later tonight.

And why no Kauffmann quotes, huh? You disagree with him as you do with me so why can't I use him? You seemed to have disliked him ever since you saw him slam Mean Streets, The Shining and Roma. I haven't seen Roma nor read any of his reviews for those films, but I don't like Mean Streets nor The Shining and have been vocal about it. He has very interesting things to say but you don't even give him a chance. Are you going to give me the ignorant button when you are giving me the ignorant label of not understanding Godard's methods? I think I've said some valid criticisms of Godard in my last three posts on him, but I seem to be hitting the wall to what all fans of his say, as Susan Sontag nicely puts it, "What his detractor's don't grasp, of course, is that Godard doesn't want to do for what they reproach him for not doing." In my mind, thats just nice wording to excuse Godard of many of his shortcomings, but hopefully, with watching the film again, I can better adjust the opinion to fit the art of Godard.

SoNowThen

Don't get pissy. I just want your words. I didn't quote anybody for you, so I just don't want you to take that route out on me.

Funnily enough, I was gonna watch this again last night after it came up on this thread.

I sincerely hope you can find something to enjoy in it, as it is (I've stated before) my 3rd fav film of all time.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: aclockworkjjGT IS A YOOPER!!!!!!!!...hahaha, i love it!  Get a deer yet?  my old man pulled in a 10-pointer (nuttin' great, but enough for sum venison jerky...mmmm).

Naw. Haven't really had a chance. Too busy with work. Its been this deal for the last couple years. But don't worry, I make up by taking one out with my car. Nothing like protecting the environment.

pssstt....don't identify me as a "yooper". Most people don't know what that means and if they did know and also knew the stereotypes, it'd be quite bad.

This is my first thanksgiving no in NW Wisconsin, for various reasons.  I'm spending it in Chicago.  It feels strange without all the blaze orange.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sanjuro

Quote from: SoNowThenI sincerely hope you can find something to enjoy in it, as it is (I've stated before) my 3rd fav film of all time.

hey would this happen to be your fav godard then?
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

foray

GT, I am madly in love with you. Will you marry my yellow moldy ass?

yarof
touch me i'm sick

Gold Trumpet

SoNowThen, sorry I couldn't respond earlier like I promised. Family business took up more time than expected on thanksgiving and I was busy all day yesterday. Soon, my friend, soon. P.S. I can't promise no quotes, but I'll do my best.

Quote from: forayGT, I am madly in love with you. Will you marry my yellow moldy ass?

I can't marry anyone who really doesn't believe in the institution of marriage or finds it interesting enough to experiment with it the way you are now. And besides, I'm a hellraiser to you. Nice guys are in line for your willing hand. Not I.

P.S. nice to see you finally surface on this board. Try to stick around.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI can't marry anyone who really doesn't believe in the institution of marriage or finds it interesting enough to experiment with it the way you are now. And besides, I'm a hellraiser to you. Nice guys are in line for your willing hand. Not I.

P.S. nice to see you finally surface on this board. Try to stick around.
so GT, introduce us to ur old buddy.. is she a hot chick?
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pso GT, introduce us to ur old buddy.. is she a hot chick?

Hah, an old forum mate who use to chat movies with me. Is she a hot chick? Her words can be sexy, indeed, but I'm guessing she's the kind of girl that would slam you in a second for approaching her that way, P.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetPeople mention the physical similarity of Karina had in this film to one of my favorite people in all the movies, the silent actress Louise Brooks, but I'm glad none of them have gone so far to say they share the same quality of spirit and presence.

How do you feel about this bit of news?:

Neve Campbell Set to Play Louise Brooks
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Neve Campbell will play the silent-film star-turned-elusive actress Louise Brooks. She has purchased Peter Nickowitz and Bill Oliver's screenplay Lulu as a starring vehicle for herself.

The script tells the life story of Brooks, who was born in 1906 in Kansas. She went on to star in more than two dozen films, most notably Pandora's Box, A Girl in Every Port and Beggars of Life. Known for her strong-willed ways - and her trendsetting bobbed hair - Brooks then moved to Germany, where she starred in several German productions. It was in Europe that she became a recluse, hiding away from the public eye until she was rediscovered in her later years after she was given a typewriter that she used to write a series of essays about her life.

The beginning of Campbell's project finds Brooks in her solitude and then traces back the story of her life. No director or finacier is on board the film yet.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks