Started by SoNowThen, June 09, 2003, 11:24:07 AM

SHAFTR

according to imdb.com

PDL cost 25 mil
Magnolia cost 37 mil
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, but almost $30 mill... I mean, Magnolia cost the same as this?? Magnolia was like War And Peace to it's Tv Guide.

$25 mil doesn't seem like much money for PDL, to me. Flying a cast and crew to Hawaii and shooting there is probably tremendously expensive; Magnolia locations were stable and Hollywood-local.

Also, production costs soar every year. There was probably a significant change between 1999 and 2001.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenI think it was budgeted at 30 and came in around 34, and pdl came in at the higher 20's, but y'know, what's an extra couple mill here and there. I guess my point was that pdl looks like it cost $5 compared to Magnolia...I wanna know where the money went. Seriously, does anyone know Sandler's salary for this flick?

No...I totally see where you are coming from.  I thought for sure Magnolia would be a lot higher in budget than that.  But yes, compared to PDL, Magnolia is a gem for that kinda money.  Not taking away from PDL, but other than the Hawaii trip, what possibly was the major expenses (other than the usual)?

Ghostboy

I think Paul just took his time with this one, and time is money. Aside from scrapping the first week or so of photography, it costs a lot to stop and restart a production -- which they did, to accomodate Deeds. And Emily Watson said they'd often only shoot at magic hour -- which means they probably only got two hours of shooting tops on some days. Doing things like that are unheard of on most shoots...but PTA clearly had the clout to do whatever he wanted. And he didn't go over budget one penny (or so he claims)!

children with angels

Quote from: GhostboyPTA clearly had the clout to do whatever he wanted.  

"Final cut: it's a scary thing to give to a guy like me..."
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Gold Trumpet

PTA is getting more freedom because he is taking a page from Kubrick's book and that is you get more time and resources when you cut down on production people on set working every day. Kubrick averaged 5 to 7 guys tops on a set at a time during any major movie. I know PTA has cut back big time and is working with a familiar crew because he said so some time back and referenced visiting Eyes Wide Shut set, but I wonder how far he has cut back.

~rougerum

ono

Quote from: GhostboyI think Paul just took his time with this one, and time is money. Aside from scrapping the first week or so of photography, it costs a lot to stop and restart a production -- which they did, to accomodate Deeds. And Emily Watson said they'd often only shoot at magic hour -- which means they probably only got two hours of shooting tops on some days. Doing things like that are unheard of on most shoots...but PTA clearly had the clout to do whatever he wanted. And he didn't go over budget one penny (or so he claims)!
Why exactly does stopping and starting production cost money?

And magic hour would be?  I'm guessing it has something to do with weather in Hawaii, but I could be wrong.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyAnd Emily Watson said they'd often only shoot at magic hour -- which means they probably only got two hours of shooting tops on some days.

Which must be why, to me, it looks like it cost a helluva lot more than $5 to make... I think the look of the film is very textured, very palpable. I love when they meet and Watson looks angelic in the after-dawn sunlight.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: GhostboyI think Paul just took his time with this one, and time is money. Aside from scrapping the first week or so of photography, it costs a lot to stop and restart a production -- which they did, to accomodate Deeds. And Emily Watson said they'd often only shoot at magic hour -- which means they probably only got two hours of shooting tops on some days. Doing things like that are unheard of on most shoots...but PTA clearly had the clout to do whatever he wanted. And he didn't go over budget one penny (or so he claims)!
Why exactly does stopping and starting production cost money?

And magic hour would be?  I'm guessing it has something to do with weather in Hawaii, but I could be wrong.

It's a fairly common film term. Robert Benton sez:

"magic hour" is a film term for those last couple of hours of daylight, when the light, coming through a polluted atmosphere, is the most golden and most beautiful. Cinematographers always wait; they always want to start shooting about two hours before sunset. They have to shoot all day long, but they try to save the big shots, the shots that mean something, until those moments. The light on the faces is so beautiful, that kind of golden light, and what it does to the landscape is so extraordinary."

See anything by Terence Malick for what it looks like.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnd magic hour would be?  I'm guessing it has something to do with weather in Hawaii, but I could be wrong.

It's the time of day when the last bit of sunshine appears at sunset, giving soft light instead of the hard, brightness of say around 12 noon.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sal

Did PDL lose money at the box office?   Granted it should make it back with foreign sales and the upcoming DVD, but IIRC the imdb listed its total theatre revenue overwhelmingly low compared to its budget..

Reed Rothchild

It was the Piano shot at the first, they had to use 1894803 of those little piano's.
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SalDid PDL lose money at the box office?   Granted it should make it back with foreign sales and the upcoming DVD, but IIRC the imdb listed its total theatre revenue overwhelmingly low compared to its budget..

Did very bad...but DVD will help.....(speaking only of what they were expecting)......

dufresne

hmm...very surprising figures.  i would have guessed that the budget for PDL would have equaled the budget for the intro to Magnolia alone.
There are shadows in life, baby.

SHAFTR

According to IMBD it made $17,791,031 in the US, so it didn't really lose that much.  I'm thinking once you add international it came close to breaking even, and once DVD sales/rentals come in...
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"