Pulp fiction vs. reservoir dogs...

Started by nevereven, April 02, 2003, 06:01:53 AM

nevereven

I know we shouldnt really compare movies but everyone does compare these two, therefore it`s time for the ultimate showdown...which do you prefer?

I am more of a Pulp Fiction fan, i have to say.
Your face isnt a question....

Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of the day...Set a man on fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of his life.

Cecil

tough one.

i prefer reservoir dogs, but pulp fiction really is a superior film.

Jeremy Blackman

I turned this into a poll. Hope you dont mind...

MacGuffin

In some respects, Jackie Brown is better than both of them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffinIn some respects, Jackie Brown is better than both of them.

I've been thinking the same lately,

phil marlowe

my vote goes to pulp fiction. i mean in wich of his other movies do get to see ving rhames gettin buttfucked by a gay police officer?

oakmanc234

'Dogs' is an excellent, tense and frightening film but 'Pulp' is just so fun and original. I could (and have) watch(ed) 'Pulp' billions of times. 'Dogs' leaves me cold and un-nerved. I also feel that 'Pulp' is superior character, storytelling and flat-out entertainment wise. It really can't lose.
On that note, 'Jackie Brown' is an excellent movie too, but didn't have the kenetic energy of 'Pulp' and 'Dogs'. It just kinda jump-started every now and then.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Ghostboy

I watched Reservoir Dogs  last year for the first time in years and didn't enjoy it that much. I used to love it to death, though, but it hasn't aged for me well. Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, is still revitalizing every time I happen to watch it.

I agree that Jackie Brown is, in many ways, a better and more mature film, but Pulp Fiction still take the cake. It has the grittiness of Reservoir Dogs, but it completely transcends its pulp origins in that last scene in the diner. For that reason, I think it takes the cake over Jackie Brown.

©brad

i think jackie brown holds up better on repeat viewings.

budgie

I just couldn't choose between all three. I think Pulp Fiction has a few drags and that the ending is transcendent but also a bit of a sell out to conventional morality and storytelling. I haven't watched Jackie Brown tho I bought the DVD a while ago cause I haven't been in the mood but I remember thinking it was tough going for an hour and then absolutely brilliant, and my inclination is to think it's the best*. Reservoir Dogs is less enjoyable than PF but may be a better movie in that it's tighter and harder. Tight and hard are good.

*More 'mature' = better, though? Dubious.

nevereven

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI turned this into a poll. Hope you dont mind...

Good idea

I havent actually seen Jackie Brown yet, maybe i should.
Your face isnt a question....

Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of the day...Set a man on fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of his life.

Raikus

From Dusk Til Dawn.

but seriously... Four Rooms.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

Resevoir Dogs acts as one of the many ideas and stories that are within Pulp Fiction. The problem with that, is that it overplays its welcome and tries to extend itself into a feature length movie. While within Pulp Fiction, it would have been kept to an appropiate length and importance. In Resevoir Dogs, the idea that this movie is playing of crime movie cliche and injected with realism is well known in ten minutes, but the movie just continues to pound it on the level of the one idea and story it has. It really becomes a tiresome movie. Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, is overwhelming in all the different ideas and stories it has not to just suggest one gangster movie is being remade, but that all of them could be being remade and it is done at such a level, that they could be being made new with how they are being told and what the realism injected through violence and how people act are doing for the movie. Jackie Brown is also a great movie, but really is more of a straight forward movie than what Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs are as being remakes of sorts of a genre film. But within the confides of the poll, Pulp Fiction is the clear victor.

~rougerum

©brad

cine

I, too, once again fully agree with GT.