palace music/brothers will oldham bonnie prince billy

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 06, 2005, 10:25:09 PM

NEON MERCURY

i just got into this shit...

i own:

and

most of hi ssong ssound like he's writing a suicide note...and his voice is fragile...its great stuff to listen to when you are in a drunken stupor..

lo-fi-neo-folk

you dig?
and recomendations for my small collection?

life_boy

I dig, but I'm also a relative newcomer.  I have Master & Everyone (2003), which is a Bonnie "Prince" Billy record.  It is really soft and at first it all kind of jumbles together and sounds the same.  Only after you've let the album sit for a while will it start to really take on any life and become more than background music or nondescrpit acoustic ballads.  There's some good songwriting on here, but nothing really catchy.  It is about as subtle as an album can get.  

Although I haven't picked it up yet, I'm looking forward to getting his 2005 release with Matthew Sweeney entitled Superwolf.  I downloaded "Only Someone Running" off that record to get a taste for it, and now I'm excited.  I will be purchasing very soon.

if u wait another day,
i will wait a day

agnes queen of sorrow is the bestestest.
context, context, context.

NEON MERCURY

Will Oldham to Star in Yo La Tengo-Soundtracked Film
Matthew Solarski reports:
Like Tom Waits before him, Will "Bonnie Prince Palace Superwolf" Oldham has cultivated a distinct outsider mystique, maintaining the image of a wise but wayworn vagabond adrift in desolate seas of sound and vision. Which is to say, Will is way cool, and about to get cooler: Oldham will co-star alongside Daniel London (Rent, Minority Report, Patch Adams) in Old Joy, a movie premiering later this week at the Sundance Film Festival.

Old Joy, based on the Jonathan Raymond short story, tells the tale of Kurt (Oldham) and Mark (London), "two lifelong friends...who reunite for a weekend camping trip in the Cascade mountain range," according to the press release. Directed by Kelly Reichardt (Travis, Ode, River of Grass) and produced by Todd Haynes (director of Far From Heaven and Velvet Goldmine), Old Joy will show four times at the festival but is not in competition.

Not unlike Waits, Will's no stranger to the silver screen, having acted before in such films as Junebug, Radiation, Elysian Fields, Thousand Pieces of Gold, and Matewan. What's more, longstanding indie trio Yo La Tengo will provide Old Joy's soundtrack. You may recall that YLT portrayed the Velvet Underground in Mary Harron's I Shot Andy Warhol, and a marching band in Hal Hartley's kooky The Book of Life (also starring PJ Harvey!). They also soundtracked French avant-garde filmmaker Jean Painleve's underwater films, which resulted in the album The Sounds of the Sounds of Science in 2001.

Sundance festival director Geoff Gilmore had this to say about Old Joy: "For me it is a strong story, very minimalist and very powerful, formal, and delicate." But just how powerful, you ask? Find out when Old Joy does compete in the Rottendam International Film Festival, beginning January 28.

And that's not all: as previously reported, Willy-O will wreak havoc on CD shelves in the coming weeks, as the covers-collaboration-with-Tortoise The Brave and the Bold finally drops on January 24, followed a week later by the re-release of I Am a Cold Rock. I am Dull Grass., an Oldham tribute starring Mark Kozelek, Jolie Holland, Court and Spark, Elephant Micah, Viking Moses and Unbunny. You dig?

Man about the world Oldham is, the Old Joy boy ships off to Oceania later this month for some tourin'. Check it:

01-27 Raglan, New Zealand - AquaVelvet Café
01-28 Leigh, New Zealand - Sawmill Café
01-29 Leigh, New Zealand - Sawmill Café
02-02 Wellington, New Zealand - Indigo Bar
02-03 Nelson, New Zealand - Mean Fiddler
02-06 Golden Bay, New Zealand - Mussel Inn
02-09 Oamaru, New Zealand - Penguin Club
02-10 Dunedin, New Zealand - Sammy's
02-11 Christchurch, New Zealand - Creation
02-16 Melbourne, Australia - Forum
02-17 Melbourne, Australia - Forum
02-18 Sydney, Australia - Newtown
02-19 Sydney, Australia - Newtown
04-10 Aberdeen, Scotland - Lemon Tree
04-11 Glasgow, Scotland - ABC
04-12 Edinburgh, Scotland - Queens Hall
04-13 Gateshead, England - Sage
04-16 Perth, Scotland - Perth Theatre
context, context, context.

I Love a Magician

Will Oldham is one of my favorites. Such a strange dude. Two favorite albums of his are Superwolf and Viva Last Blues.

life_boy

Pedro

Quote from: life_boy on January 27, 2006, 01:57:20 PM
Has anyone picked up Summer in the Southeast
I did.  It's not bad, but it's not really incredible either.  It's really interesting to hear a more rocked out oldham reinvent some of his material, but it's a mixed bag.  Some songs, like "Death to Everyone", sound poor compared to the studio version. Others are really great and feel like they're being played for the first time.   Something tells me that I would love to see oldham at a concert like that, but just hearing it is nothing electrifying.