I WANT ANOTHER MAGNOLIA CHAT!!!!

Started by Banky, November 12, 2003, 04:06:27 PM

Banky

Im just now getting to know this film and i cant beleive i missed out on the Magnolia chat during the PTA film festival.  Please lets do another one sometime.  Being that it is many of your favorite movie, i think it would be well received.

Kal

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

freakerdude

A bud and I just watched this last night. I am a huge Boogie Nights fan, so I had to see this movie.

All I can say right now was DAMN! That was fucking heavy and also hilarious at certain times. I loved Cruise's Frank character and this is a must buy for me now. I'm getting hooked on PTA's films.....what's next for me to see besides it, BN, & PDL? Sydney/Hard 8 looks like it might be hard to find to rent.
MC Pee Pants

Find Your Magali

Quote from: freakerdudeSydney/Hard 8 looks like it might be hard to find.

An decent-sized Borders or Barnes & Noble or Best Buy should have Hard Eight.

It's not tough to find.

Pedro

i would like another pta chat though....but i would say punchdrunklove as its a lighter film....more suited for lively chatter throughout

molly

well, let's chat then.
I saw Punch Drunk Love on Saturday and I have a guestion(actually, one of many): Those colors - remided me of that song "True Colors", I think the name of the singer is Cindy Lauper or sth like that. Does this make any sense?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mollywell, let's chat then.
may i apologize for the previous fellas for not clarifyin'...by chat they ment, kinda chat.

molly

oh...
Do you also have any thoughts about my question?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mollyDo you also have any thoughts about my question?
"It's  hard  to take  courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
And the darkness inside you
Can make you feel so small
But I see your true colors "

I can see the reference within that.  I think it's just a matter of what each to their own takes or gets out of pdl.  it reminds me of certain things too, with no point or explaination as to why.  the movie plays with emotions, so why wouldn't a viewer pull from anywhere?  And i think there is a lot of barry in everyone...not too mention lena is an alien, which finally confirms my belief that girls that sweet are not from this damn planet....

molly

I don't think that Lena is actually an alien. I have 2 theories:
1) she LOOKS LIKE an alien from Barry's perspective, because he has very low opinion about himself and thinks that there isn't a girl that would like him
2) she is a fantasy, an imagined woman that he daydreams about. She is a prototype of the woman he would like to be with.

It was really painful to watch Barry, so anxious, tortured, but the whole problem is that he hates himself and thinks that there is something wrong with him, and he is so sweat and dear man. The solution to his problems is so close, and he constantly runs in the wrong direction-he is putting so much effort to justify himself, to hide himself, and all he had to do is to do what he did with that blackmailer.
We know extremely little about Lena, so does Barry, the only important information is that she really loves him. That's why she is such a paper-thin character, because she is a fantasy. And that fantasy says that all Barry fantasizes about is being loved and accepted, withot having to pretend, lie, evade,... Pretending takes away so much energy.
I'm not sure about what I've written. These are just first impressions.

molly

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: mollyDo you also have any thoughts about my question?
"It's  hard  to take  courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
And the darkness inside you
Can make you feel so small
But I see your true colors "

I can see the reference within that.  I think it's just a matter of what each to their own takes or gets out of pdl.  it reminds me of certain things too, with no point or explaination as to why.  the movie plays with emotions, so why wouldn't a viewer pull from anywhere?  And i think there is a lot of barry in everyone...not too mention lena is an alien, which finally confirms my belief that girls that sweet are not from this damn planet....

That's that song? I don't know the whole song, just that part that everybody know...

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mollyshe is a fantasy.
that's what i ment about the alien comment, not a literal one...tho sum can argue that.

she is a fantasy, she is what we all want and need.  she is a there for no reson, and barry doesn't know what to do with her.  he is clueless.  i think the more and more i watch paul's movies, I like to think he is writing parts of himself in there too often...that it reassures me that he is in fact a human being.  there is nothing wrong with have a shitty day...or being unsure about something.
Quote from: mollyThat's that song?
yes, that's part of it.

molly

there's barry in me also, you know. I think people are in general insecure quite often, and they need to realize that's OK, and that they don't need to be perfect.

cine

Quote from: mollythere's barry in me also, you know.
Slut.