the marquee

Started by (kelvin), June 25, 2003, 03:32:33 PM

NEON MERCURY

other examples of a joke would be:

Duck Sauce

Quote from: godardianI've actually found that the Communists I've known watch wayyy more movies than, say, the Christians (with the Christian Communists falling somewhere in between), but, um, I don't think I'll be submitting a banner saying "Christians don't watch movies."

That Communist banner should only run with a cap from an Eisenstein film, or something from Bertolucci or late Godard. Now that would be funny!

do you really have to be so sensitive about everything?

godardian

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: godardianI've actually found that the Communists I've known watch wayyy more movies than, say, the Christians (with the Christian Communists falling somewhere in between), but, um, I don't think I'll be submitting a banner saying "Christians don't watch movies."

That Communist banner should only run with a cap from an Eisenstein film, or something from Bertolucci or late Godard. Now that would be funny!

I didn't realize that an untiring capacity for critical thought and analysis was equivalent to being oversensitive... but I'm definitely not going to stop thinking. I found the celebrated joke lame and unfunny- does having an opinion mean I'm oversensitive, too?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: godardian

I didn't realize that an untiring capacity for critical thought and analysis was equivalent to being oversensitive... but I'm definitely not going to stop thinking. I found the celebrated joke lame and unfunny- does
having an opinion mean I'm oversensitive, too?

only when its always whiney.

dont twist things too much, you might get knots

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianI found the celebrated joke lame and unfunny
It's actually my banner, so hopefully that changes the context...  :shock: ...

godardian

Quote from: godardian

I didn't realize that an untiring capacity for critical thought and analysis was equivalent to being oversensitive... but I'm definitely not going to stop thinking. I found the celebrated joke lame and unfunny- does
having an opinion mean I'm oversensitive, too?

only when its always whiney.

dont twist things too much, you might get knots

:?:   Some people find anything that challenges their opinion to be "whiney," which is a complete (and likely purposeful, judging from the source) mischaracterization of the tone of my posts. I guess if opinions contradicting yours force you to get small and stoop to name-calling, that's your business; it only reflects poorly on you.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

I figured so, and that it was probably something to do with the Presidents thread talk of yesterday, and I found it very witty!!

EDIT -- haha, "open mouth, insert foot" is great, too.

May I propose: Too much posting can make you a bad filmmaker.

Or some such variation on my bizarre thread...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianI found the celebrated joke lame and unfunny
It's actually my banner, so hopefully that changes the context...  :shock: ...

That is surprising, but... I definitely don't find it nearly so clever as some of the banners that have been popping up. The problem iwith banners is that there is no context... it can only say what it says, and it would have to be meticulously worded for any irony to come through. Anyway, I'm not saying to remove it or anything remotely like that- some people were exploding with "LOL"s and I saw fit to give my opinion. That is all.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianI definitely don't find it nearly so clever as some of the banners that have been popping up. The problem iwith banners is that there is no context... it can only say what it says, and it would have to be meticulously worded for any irony to come through.
I definitely agree.

But starting now, let's just all assume that anything offensive up there is ironic.

ono

I think the "Open Mouth Insert Foot" banner up there sums up this little spat quite nicely.  :-D

godardian

I love the Criterion/crack one. I'm wondering, though, if some of them are too old-timer-centric and would be really confusing or even off-putting to anyone new/unfamiliar with the personalities here. The God Damn Im da Man joke is funny, but only if you've gone through and read his posts and have been familiar with him and his pants-creaming thing for a while.

SoNowThen

In jokes are the best jokes because they make you feel more important than the people who don't get them.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

MacGuffin and themodernage02 should get credit for lots of these banners... I personally think the Honda one is brilliant.

Fernando

What about: 'Say monkey and you'll be banned.'
Feel free to change whatever you like or not.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenIn jokes are the best jokes because they make you feel more important than the people who don't get them.
Exactly!  :-D

And, they give people incentive/reason to stick around.

EDIT: "From Movie Lover to Movie Snob in Six Months."  Ain't it the truth.  Hehe.