Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

MacGuffin

MGM gets another shot at 'Fame'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- MGM is backing a remake of the 1980s musical "Fame" with "300" producer Marc Canton and Lakeshore Entertainment, MGM COO Rick Sands said here Tuesday.

Sands also said that Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner's United Artists is "weeks away" from concluding a $500 million film financing fund with Merrill Lynch.

"We're just finalizing the paperwork," Sands said. Press reports had suggested that Merrill Lynch was struggling to deliver a partner to fund the estimated $100 million equity portion of the debt-driven fund, but Sands dismissed the report as "just wrong."

The $25 million "Fame" remake is slated to hit theaters in summer 2008 and will be based on the Alan Parker film set at the New York Academy of Performing Arts, which starred Irene Cara and Debbie Allen and launched a generation of wannabe performers.

Sands said MGM has hired a writer and director for the project but offered no further details. Casting has not yet begun. He said the studio plans to retain many of the musical elements of the original movie that also launched a global television hit and international stage show.

"We'll update it, (but) we'll still keep some of the songs. The script is being written right now, but we are keeping it under wraps. There will be a strong musical component, though," Sands said.

Speaking at a lunch at the Riviera-side market, Sands said MGM aims to launch a European version of its movie download deal with Apple's iTunes as early as the end of the year but was being held up by music rights clearance hurdles.

Last week, the studio signed a deal for a limited amount of library products to be available on iTunes in the U.S. but said that repeating the deal in Europe will take time.

"The big issue for all studios is getting the music rights cleared for all these movies," Sands said. "We have a really big staff working on rights clearance, but there's still a lot of work to be done."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i was just noticing...

i hate that this thread is 16 fucking pages long
:doh:
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

one day this will be the longest thread on xixax. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: modage on April 18, 2007, 08:34:08 AM
one day this will be the longest thread on xixax. 
It's become so popular that we MUST make another! and another!! and another!!! and another!!!! and another!!!!! and another!!!!!!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

"All Quiet on the Western Front" Finds A New Voice
Ex-Washington Post managing editor takes a journalistic approach to a new big budget feature film based on the classic anti-war novel

/24-7PressRelease/ - LOS ANGELES, CA, April 16, 2007 - The sentiments of the classic World War One anti-war novel "All Quiet On The Western Front" are as applicable today as they were more than 75 years ago when it was first published. That is why writer-producers Ian Stokell and Lesley Paterson have optioned the world famous book with the intention of making it into a big budget sweeping Hollywood epic.

Stokell, for many years a managing editor and journalist with The Washington Post organization, believes that, for a new interpretation to work, the new screenplay requires a gritty, journalistic approach.

In writing the brand new script, Stokell/Paterson are taking a bold stance by using the novel only as a starting point.

Said Paterson, "By creating new storylines ourselves, we believe this modern rendition will encompass greater depth and historical context, but still remain congruent with the spirit of Erich Maria Remarque's work."

Stokell/Paterson plan on producing the film through their own production company, Sliding Down Rainbows Entertainment Inc.

While a large emphasis will be on recreating the brutality and day-to-day horror of the trenches for the ordinary German infantryman, the intention is also to add substantially to the development of the main characters.

For Stokell/Paterson, realism is the key. Towards that end, they have already attached ex-US Marine Captain Dale Dye to the project as Senior Military Advisor to bring the harshness of life in the trenches to the silver screen. (Captain Dye was Senior Military Advisor on Steven Spielberg's "Saving Private Ryan" and Oliver Stone's "Platoon" and "Alexander".)

The only time the novel has been made into a U.S. theatrically released film was in 1930, as one of the first "talking pictures," when it won Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director.

Added Stokell, "However, modern audiences are more cinematically sophisticated than those of 1930. As a result, while we plan on recreating the spectacular visual ambience of trench warfare - miles and miles of desolate, bombed out and cratered landscape - we also intend to add more texture and emotional layering to the overall story."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'All' in: Latifah, Shankman, NL

Queen Latifah and Adam Shankman are reteaming to do a remake of the Steve Martin-Lily Tomlin comedy "All of Me" for New Line Cinema.

Latifah is attached to star and will exec produce, while Shankman will produce with his Offspring Entertainment partner Jennifer Gibgot. He is not attached to direct at this time.

Released by Universal in 1984, "All of Me" was one of the comedies Martin did with director Carl Reiner. One of the better entries in the body-switching genre, the story centered on a dying spoiled heiress (Tomlin) whose soul ends up in the body of a lawyer (Martin). She controls the right side of his body while he controls the left, which causes friction and comedy.

The new take would see the movie set in the world of politics, where a female Jesse Jackson-type finds herself in the body of a conservative.

The project is out to writers.

Ira Posansky, who held the rights, also is producing. Latifah's partner-manager Shakim Compere of Flavor Unit Entertainment also is exec producing.

Posansky set up the project at New Line, which then turned to Offspring.

"When New Line told us that they wanted to remake it with an African-American actress in the role, we said it's got to be Latifah," Gibgot said. "Adam adores her and thinks she's great with physical comedy, and as it happens, she wants to go back to doing physical comedy."

The project marks Latifah and Shankman's third project together. Latifah is starring as Motormouth Maybelle in Shankman's adaptation of "Hairspray," which New Line releases in July. Their first collaboration was the 2003 hit comedy "Bringing Down the House," which also starred Martin.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Kidman, Fox married to 'Millionaire'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Nicole Kidman is going to the altar with 20th Century Fox for a remake of "How to Marry a Millionaire."

The actress will produce the project through her Fox-based Blossom Films shingle as a potential starring vehicle.

Sacha Gervasi, who wrote Steven Spielberg's "The Terminal," has been tapped to pen the screenplay, which will be a contemporary-set reinterpretation of the Marilyn Monroe classic. The original, a Technicolor comedy that was released by Fox in 1953, vaulted Monroe to stardom.

Plot details for the updated "Millionaire" are being kept under wraps, but it is described as a complete overhaul of the original story.

Fox's Lisa Ellzey is overseeing the project for the studio, while Per Saari is shepherding for Blossom Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 27, 2007, 12:34:43 AM
Sacha Gervasi, who wrote Steven Spielberg's "The Terminal," has been tapped to pen the screenplay

ugh...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pozer

should change the subject of this thread to: Nicole Remake Fucking Kidman

OrHowILearnedTo

MacGuffin

Anderson Helming Good Friday
Resident Evil director to redo Brit gangster classic.

Filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil, Alien vs. Predator) has been tapped to direct the remake of the 1980 British gangster classic The Long Good Friday. Handmade Films has hired Anderson to helm the remake, which will be a contemporary retelling set in the U.S. rather than London. Production is set to begin in Miami next year.

Blade II's Luke Goss was rumored to be starring in a Good Friday follow-up back in 2003; no word yet if he remains attached.

Handmade chairman Patrick Meehan told BBC News, "The original was a highly praised classic and one of Handmade's most prized films, but its reach was limited primarily to the UK. Following continued interest from the US, we realised this remake could attract audiences worldwide with an updated setting and contemporary overtones."

Meehan added, "When Paul presented his creative vision for this project, we were instantly convinced that this is a story that could be successfully refreshed, yet leave the integrity of the original intact."

Anderson informed the BBC, "I am delighted to have the opportunity to put a new spin on this classic film which promises to reveal today's gritty underworld in an equally shocking fashion."

The original Long Good Friday is a character-driven thriller that remains as relevant for the current war on terror as it did when it debuted in 1980. Starring Bob Hoskins in his breakthrough film performance, this Barrie Keeffe-penned tale followed Harold Shand (Hoskins), a Cockney crime boss at the top of his game. Harold is trying to seal a lucrative London real estate deal with an American mobster when a mysterious foe starts killing his friends and henchmen, and bombs destroy his places of operation. Harold thought there was peace in the underworld. So who is out to get him and why? It turns out Harold's trouble is the result of his treacherous right-hand man who ripped off money from the wrong guys: the IRA. This revelation provides LGF with a provocative political subtext missing from other gangster films. No word yet if the remake will also include terrorists in its storyline.

The original film also starred Helen Mirren and marked Pierce Brosnan's screen debut.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Fox taps Flowers for 'Taps' remake
Davis, Brenner to produce military drama
Source: Variety

Twentieth Century Fox and New Regency will remake "Taps," the 1981 military drama that launched the careers of Tom Cruise, Sean Penn and Timothy Hutton.

Frank E. Flowers will write the screenplay with an eye toward directing.

The film will be produced by John Davis; Robbie Brenner will exec produce.

In the Harold Becker-directed original, a group of loyal cadets seize control of their military academy just as construction crews arrive to tear it down and make room for condos. "The political climate and the psyche of the country make it an exciting time to tell that story," Flowers told Daily Variety. "When you are at war, kids are forced to make decisions normally reserved for adults, like fighting for your country and standing up for what you believe in."

Flowers, who last directed "Haven" and has been readying the Jamaica-set drama "The Gardens," will begin writing immediately.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Suspiria remake?
Source: JoBlo/Hollywood Reporter

Just as the legendary and influential 1977 horror flick SUSPIRIA is about to celebrate its 30th anniversary at the Cannes Film Festival comes word that an English-language remake is in the works. David Gordon Green (ALL THE REAL GIRLS) is in talks to direct the film from a script by Scott Heim (MYSTERIOUS SKIN). For the uninitiated, Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA is a horror classic and follows a young girl who travels to Germany to study ballet. Upon her arrival she witnesses a number of mysterious deaths and begins to suspect all is not as it seems as her new academy. But don't just take my word for it - horror guru Arrow in the Head gives it 4 stars and Entertainment Weekly put it at #18 on their list of the scariest movies of all time. Green is currently finishing up the Seth Rogen/James Franco comedy THE PINEAPPLE EXPRESS and, if a deal is reached, could make SUSPIRIA his next film. So: a SUSPIRIA remake a good idea or tarnishing a legend?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ginger on April 11, 2005, 11:24:42 PM
I'm waiting for the Vertigo remake.

Kaufman, Roach project a fit at Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up an original comedy project from Ken Kaufman, with Jay Roach on board to direct. Roach also is producing with his Everyman Pictures partner Jennifer Perini.

The project, described as an off-center comedy and bought as a pitch, follows two party-loving male friends who are as close as brothers. When one of them dies in a fluke accident, the other succumbs to grief, until he meets a stranger who eerily resembles his dead friend, only shorter and nerdier. He then sets out to corrupt him and refashion him (a la "Vertigo") into his lost buddy.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners along with Elishia Holmes.

Kaufman's credits include Universal's "Curious George" as well as Columbia's "The Missing," directed by Ron Howard, and Warners' "Space Cowboys" for director Clint Eastwood.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 23, 2007, 11:37:01 AM
Quote from: Ginger on April 11, 2005, 11:24:42 PM
I'm waiting for the Vertigo remake.

Kaufman, Roach project a fit at Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up an original comedy project from Ken Kaufman, with Jay Roach on board to direct. Roach also is producing with his Everyman Pictures partner Jennifer Perini.

The project, described as an off-center comedy and bought as a pitch, follows two party-loving male friends who are as close as brothers. When one of them dies in a fluke accident, the other succumbs to grief, until he meets a stranger who eerily resembles his dead friend, only shorter and nerdier. He then sets out to corrupt him and refashion him (a la "Vertigo") into his lost buddy.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners along with Elishia Holmes.

Kaufman's credits include Universal's "Curious George" as well as Columbia's "The Missing," directed by Ron Howard, and Warners' "Space Cowboys" for director Clint Eastwood.

apologies to Ken Kaufman but he needs to change his last name so headlines arent as startling.