What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

gob

Just finished:

Really good. Never read any Roth before. Has a great style.

Now reading:

Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller

Gold Trumpet

Wow, a Philip Roth reference. I'm estastic. I'm going to read Everyman, but I'm waiting for it to become cheap on the used book market. Read his best novels like Sabbath's Theater or American Pastoral and you get a sense of how crazy he is. From what I've heard Everyman is pretty restrained.

I've been on a Saul Bellow kick all summer. I just finished The Adventures of Augie March and am going to get into Humbolt's Gift in the next day or so.

But right now I am reading Christopher Hitchen's God is Not Great. I'm a major fan of him and again he impresses. I've read numerous topical books by political pundits or essayists and each book they write is always underwhelming. They write too casually and don't add enough details to the subject. Hitchens always has more details than enough to cover the subject well.

context, context, context.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: gob on July 19, 2007, 04:25:08 AM
Tropic of Cancer

Unmade Beds & your post have inspired me to finally read this one.

context, context, context.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Poobread

Ravi

I like how that Seinfeld still is not a DVD capture but a picture of the TV.

I'm currently reading Perfume by Patrick Susskind.

Poobread

Quote from: Ravi on July 31, 2007, 07:40:38 PM
I like how that Seinfeld still is not a DVD capture but a picture of the TV.

I'm currently reading Perfume by Patrick Susskind.

Only the best on wiki.

By the way, I'm reading

samsong

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The Perineum Falcon

I've been reading quite a bit lately, the majority are Photo and Graphic Novels (which I think have their own thread, no?). But, here are two books that I've enjoyed most recently:

My friend's letting me borrow this, and I plan on buying the uncensored 50th shortly after its release.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

i didn't like On the Road either. i'm hoping the movie's better.

and a recent wiki expedition led me through Ginsberg to WCW's Paterson, which i'm looking forward to checking out sometime this year.
under the paving stones.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Little bit of Marrs, little bit of Sitchin.  They complement each other fairly well.  Sitchin explores the conspiracies laid out trillions of years ago, Marrs explores modern day conspiracies and they both sort of meet up in the middle in a strange fashion.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye