Jon Stewart or Bill Maher

Started by classical gas, November 06, 2003, 02:57:16 PM

pete

they could've at least talked about all the political stuff that gates was involved with like the aids foundation and whatnot...
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Trevor Noah will be the new host of The Daily Show.

He seems a little stiff. But apparently the writing staff is staying on, so I'm sure they can make it work somehow.

Side note: I need to watch The Daily Show more often. Even in this one clip I was able to identify an Elliott Kalan joke, thanks to my Flophouse listening. (Mousetrap.)

This is a bit better:

polkablues

Here's some good stuff of him:

I like the decision. He's clearly a bright guy with a point of view and huge upside potential. And it's just a flat-out more interesting choice than if they had gone with someone more established. I'm intrigued to see how much the show will feel like Jon Stewart's Daily Show with a guest host, and how much his own sensibilities will shape the new version.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

I only know of him from one brief radio interview, but I liked him a lot. Seems to have come out of nowhere, I haven't watched The Daily Show in years but this will definitely encourage me to check it out again. You can become closer acquainted with him through his one hour special on Netflix

Jeremy Blackman

Any opinions of Trevor Noah's performance so far? I'm on the fence.

There's something about his hyper-enunciation that is not necessarily suited for this type of delivery. Some adjustments may be required. That's just the way he talks, though, so what can you do?

The writing is as strong as ever, but it kinda sounds like they're still writing for Jon Stewart. I don't know.

He seems delighted and entertained by the material, so that helps. But they'll need to find things for him to do that Jon Stewart couldn't do, right?

polkablues

I think he's doing fine, but it might take a while before the writers figure out what his distinctive comedic voice is, because like you said, right now it feels like he's reading off of Jon Stewart's cue cards. That'll come with time. I feel like it took Stewart a few years to become JON STEWART after taking over the show.

I'm really liking the current crop of correspondents, too. Especially Roy Wood Jr.
My house, my rules, my coffee