1000 posts and SoNowThen's Excellent Adventure...

Started by ElPandaRoyal, August 06, 2004, 09:23:48 AM

SoNowThen

Thrindle: I'm actually not much of a drinker, and have been poorly representing my redneck roots. Also, these fucking Brits can POUND IT BACK, lemme tell ya. I have not the money, nor the stamina. However, my roommate (from BC) could, I'm quite sure, go pound for pound (no pun intended) with them, and come out on top. We have a planned Vodka drinking contest between him and some Poles and Russians, and then we'll see who's boss.

Walrus: Yes, most of them have sick teeth. But, as I said a few posts up, sometimes it's more amusing/endearing than disgusting.

Slick: Indeed!! One of my new favorite expressions.

Walrus: I would recommend the trip to every human being, regardless of budget. Though, the exchange rate is quite a rape. Best to come and live/work here, then once you're earning pounds, spending them becomes less painful.

I saw the original (or as close as possible) cut of Il Bidone last night, at the National Film Theatre complex. Afterwards, I headed out to gaze upon the Thames at night, lit up by a myriad of streetlights beyond. Beautiful.

"If you're tired of London, you're tired of life." Who was it who said that? Wilde? Anyway, it's true...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Thrindle

Who ever thought I'd be jealous of SONOWTHEN?
Classic.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThen"If you're tired of London, you're tired of life." Who was it who said that? Wilde?
Hah, don't say that too loudly in London... Samuel Johnson said it.

rustinglass

Quote from: SoNowThen
I saw the original (or as close as possible) cut of Il Bidone last night, at the National Film Theatre complex.

Dude, I had an oportunity to see that cut the last time I was in Lisbon, in the cinemateque, but I didn't. How good is it? (mind you that I haven't see either cut, so don't spoil)
I bet I'll end up seeing it soon, since I'm moving there in less than two weeks.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

GodDamnImDaMan

it's odd I was the third member who signed up for these boards and I have yet to reach 1000....

Alittle oddaroonie.
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: SoNowThen"If you're tired of London, you're tired of life." Who was it who said that? Wilde?

i laughed at the tought of Zakk Wylde saying that.

context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Cinephile
:oops:

Rust: The extended cut of Bidone is much better than the North American dvd version available. Strangely enough, the cuts were made in different places than I would have guessed when I first saw the shortened version.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

So I see by SoNowThen's location that he's now in England permanently, or semi-permanently.  So tell us stuff!  I'm just really curious 'cause it's gotta kick ass moving halway across the world.  What've you been up to in the past couple months?