What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Reel

sometimes you just try to read too many books at once. Usually the only books I have success with completing are memoirs or novels that movies are adapted from. You just gotta be invested in it or else you'll get bored, there's no shame in that.

I just read this:

It was good. The Coen's really captured all of the minutiae in this, especially with the dialogue. From what I hear, they kind of did the same thing with True Grit but I'll save myself from reading that. I'm going to see it today.

Myxo

Got this for Christmas. It's HUGE!! Can't wait to start reading. Never actually read a book this big before, cover to cover.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Reelist on December 24, 2010, 10:47:06 AM
It was good. The Coen's really captured all of the minutiae in this, especially with the dialogue. From what I hear, they kind of did the same thing with True Grit but I'll save myself from reading that. I'm going to see it today.

Oh god, how can you feel they captured anything well from that novel? They took the main character, Tom Bell, and made him a background figure. He drives the outlook of the novel. The cat-and-mouse game between Moss and Chigurh is driven by the context of Bell's observations and experience. However, in the film, the chase between the two of them is what drives the film. The Coens don't even try to honor the tone of the novel until the very end when Bell is given more than a few minutes to speak and reflect. It's a gratification handjob with little effect to offset the other inconsiderations. I don't mind change when a film is adapting a novel, but all the changes here just low balled or nullified the themes of the story.

Reel

They made it way better than the book.

mogwai

Quote from: Myxo on December 25, 2010, 02:21:23 PM
Got this for Christmas. It's HUGE!! Can't wait to start reading. Never actually read a book this big before, cover to cover.

Fuck the book, when's the movie adaptation coming out? :yabbse-wink:

Gold Trumpet

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek

Quote from: modage on January 09, 2011, 01:24:53 PM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on December 26, 2010, 01:04:35 AM
Quote from: Reelist on December 25, 2010, 11:31:07 PM
They made it way better than the book.

Fucking, nerd.

Is this comma confusing to anyone else?

Yes. Though he has to have the last word, Fucking, nerd. is a nice respite from some windy, winding essays from an obscure, manufactured point of view that I usually look forward to giving up reading after the first paragraph.

I preferred the movie too.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

Cormac McCarthy novels always feel to me more like a long outline for a movie than a novel, anyway.  I admire sparseness of language, but not that fucking sparse.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Just finished reading On the Road (must be my favorite book) again, and will start with The Dharma Bums now.

Stefen

Just about to start it. HOPEFULLY.

I was thinking today about how ever since I got an iPhone, I've stopped reading. I haven't read a single book this year.  :yabbse-angry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Neil

Although it seems there are some quite absolutist statements in this book that very few could get away with, it is a very very  cutting edge voyage into genetic predisposition versus environmental surroundings with regards to opportunity and intelligence.  Definitely worth a read.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

SiliasRuby

Got finished with listening to these two audiobooks: The War For Late Night and The God Delusion.

Now starting 'Then everything changed stunning alternate histories of american politics jfk. rfk. carter. ford. reagan' By Jeff Greenfield

Thank You Audible...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Thrift store find.  I had always heard mention of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but never a strong enough recommendation to try it out, but I picked this up on a whim and it's absolutely brilliant.  In the first chapter alone I was just stunned by the language and detail used.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

He's only one of the most celebrated authors of all time and the book you posted is an undisputed masterpiece..

That common knowledge wasn't strong enough recommendation for you?

Better late (and cheap) than never I guess.
under the paving stones.