QT in Rolling Stone

Started by A Matter Of Chance, October 18, 2003, 06:59:34 PM

A Matter Of Chance

I just read the Tarantino article/interview in Rolling Stone, and if I recall correctly, he said that when David Fincher made Se7en he was walking down a trail that he [Quentin] blazed. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

Gamblour.

Was it a negative comment? It sure sounds like it, and I think Tarantino can be too fucking arrogant a lot of times. He might have the right to say that about something like "Go" but not Se7en. The movies are too different.
WWPTAD?

Weak2ndAct

Is there a link the article, or it just in print?

modage

Quote from: GamblorWas it a negative comment?

he was referring to the level of violence that was acceptable in films at the time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

coffeebeetle

I think Quentin's stretching it a bit...besides, Se7en wasn't incredibly violent and neither Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction had much on-screen violence either...

Correct me if I'm wrong, please...
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Alethia

no, se7en wasnt that violent.  it was just really fucking unpleasant.  i really liked it tho.  a true testament to how great fincher COULD be if he did more movies like this.

Ravi

Quote from: coffeebeetleI think Quentin's stretching it a bit...besides, Se7en wasn't incredibly violent and neither Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction had much on-screen violence either...

You're not wrong.  Tarantino is pretty good at making a film seem more violent than it is.  In Kill Bill, when The Bride cuts the nurse's foot.  I winced because I imagined she cut his Achilles tendon, but we only saw a hole in the sock.  The sword to Zed's gut in Pulp Fiction is barely below the frame line.

I haven't seen Seven (I refuse to write it Se7en.  7 does not look anything like a V.)

Cecil

Quote from: RaviI refuse to write it Se7en

you will after you see it

coffeebeetle

Quote from: ewardno, se7en wasnt that violent.  it was just really fucking unpleasant.  i really liked it tho.  a true testament to how great fincher COULD be if he did more movies like this.

Amen.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

©brad

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: coffeebeetleI think Quentin's stretching it a bit...besides, Se7en wasn't incredibly violent and neither Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction had much on-screen violence either...

You're not wrong.  Tarantino is pretty good at making a film seem more violent than it is.  In Kill Bill, when The Bride cuts the nurse's foot.  I winced because I imagined she cut his Achilles tendon, but we only saw a hole in the sock.  The sword to Zed's gut in Pulp Fiction is barely below the frame line.

yea, but i would argue that the more u pull back the worse it can be. a lot of the 'in ur face' violence in kill bill comes off cartoonish. i didn't really flinch when lucy liu cut that dude's head off. however, when the bride cuts the nurse's foot really quick, that made me cringe. its the stuff u don't really see or only see in bits that r much more eerie b/c ur mind kinds in.

Alethia

i cringed when she cut his heel too, but that's only because i knew it was coming, having read the script.  it actually wasn't that bad, but the anticipation was horrible.

A Matter Of Chance

yeah, I think the anticipation is always the wost

Weak2ndAct

I don't know what the heck to say about this, except... um... I don't know.

From www.filmthreat.com, which excerpts the RS article:

TARANTINO TALKS 9/11
(2003-10-17)
One could write a whole ramble rant about Tarantino's recent comments on 9/11, but we'll just let the man speak for himself. The following interview segment was taken from the new issue of Rolling Stone.

Q: Has 9/11 or the war on terror had any impact on you personally or creatively?

A: "9/11 didn't affect me, because there's, like, a Hong Kong movie that came out called 'Purple Storm' and it's fantastic, a great action movie. And they work in a whole big thing in the plot that they blow up a giant skyscraper. It was done before 9/11, but the shot almost is a semiduplicate shot of 9/11. I actually enjoyed inviting people over to watch the movie and not telling them about it. I shocked the shit out of them...I was almost thrilled by that naughty aspect of it. It made it all the more exciting."

Q: But on some level you must have been caught up in the reality of 9/11.

A: "I was scared, like everybody else. 'OK, what is this new world we're going to be living in? Is it going to be fucking Belfast here?' And I didn't want to fucking fly nowhere. I remember thinking at the time - this was when they were shooting the 'Matrix' sequels in Australia - 'What if everything, all this shit, breaks out, man?' And all that's left in Hollywood are the 'Matrix' people? That would be a fuckin' drag' (Laughs)."

cine

Wow.. he really hates the Matrix... unless he just wanted to segue into something more topical for him.

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileWow.. he really hates the Matrix... unless he just wanted to segue into something more topical for him.

Which must be based on the first one, because if they were in the early stages of shooting "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" at the time, how would he have known what the results would be?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks