songs:ohia and/or magnolia electric co.

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 06, 2005, 08:12:58 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think it's mostly the order for me, too.  I didn't have any many gripes song to song, but as an album it wasn't too cohesive.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

Quote from: matt35mm on August 06, 2006, 04:29:33 PM
The last song they played was amazing.  He said it was new and not on any of the upcoming records yet.  He didn't say what it was titled, but I look forward to the next next album, I guess.
Well, I went to the San Francisco show and figured out that this song is called Shiloh.  Texas 71 is also a great unreleased song.

Last time I was 10 feet away.  This time I was... oh, 5 feet away?  Well, 2 feet from the stage, 5 feet from Jason Molina (and one foot from Lucid).

The new Magnolia songs come off better live, but every song sounds great live from them.  But seeing Molina play some solo stuff would blow my mind, I think.  I do officially love Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go now after several more listens.

Great night all around, despite the $30 worth of parking.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Check out Neon's guide on the last page to navigate through Songs: Ohia albums.

My favorite lately has to be Ghost Tropic, with Axxess & Ace following closely behind.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

jenkins

matt35m (and anyone), is your favorite Molina album Trials & Errors? more than any of his albums that one digs inside of me, although never does he fail me, i mean any album of his would be a proper album to mention.

my particular soft spot, based on initial entry, is Impala

from back then in Songs:Ohia days, The Lioness too, of course

usually the early stuff is what i like best. especially when it comes to sincere stuff. but i don't see Molina as having a bad phase at any point.

Robyn

I've heard everything from Axxess & Ace to The Magnolia Electric Co. but The Lioness is the one I like the most. Probably one of my top 10 albums of all time. I might listen to the rest of his discography in the near future, because I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff that I haven't heard yet.

matt35mm

Too difficult for me to pick favorites, honestly. I like to let them all blur together, especially since he sang about the same themes over and over again. The albums are different flavors of basically the same thing, though I mean that in a good way. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the bigger band feel of Magnolia Electric Co stuff, sometimes the stripped down feel of his solo stuff, and sometimes the inbetween of the Songs:Ohia stuff.

If I had to name an album I'd say there is something particularly transporting about Didn't It Rain. The album "Magnolia Electric Co" is a home run, no ifs/ands/buts about it.

There's a book about Molina that came out a few months ago. It's a gripping read and very illuminating for Molina fans, though devastating. It's called Riding with the Ghost.