Outkast Double CD Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Started by Banky, September 11, 2003, 10:30:04 PM

SHAFTR

why are people talking about Christina Augiliera?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pete

you haven't really heard outkast 'til you checked out Dungeon Family!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

Quote from: ©bradalright i really like christina's "the voice within." the video is good, too. one long take in black and white; simple, nice (kinda reminded me of a pta video)

hahah, i meant to put this in the pop music thread!

i need to get a new dealer b/c i think this crack i've been smoking lately is tainted.

i don't know what's sadder- that i had to edit this post or that it took me this long to realize the original christina one was in the wrong thread. feel free to make fun of me, by all means.

Pubrick

that christina song sounds like an old shania twain song i half-remember, could be From this Moment On. that's why it sounds alrite, sort of.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Cartoon project for Andre 3000
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- Cartoon Network is developing a potential series project with Andre 3000, one-half of the chart-topping hip-hop group OutKast.

The rapper is hashing out ideas with the cable network for a half-hour special pegged for Cartoon's "Adult Swim" block. If Andre 3000 and Cartoon -- both based in Atlanta -- are happy with the results, the channel will greenlight the special for series treatment.

Mike Lazzo, senior vp of Cartoon's "Adult Swim" program block, quickly got over his reservations about collaborating with celebrities upon meeting with Andre 3000, who has worked as an illustrator. "I'm extremely wary of it, but in Andre's case, I think he is a creative genius," he said. "He has definite opinions of what he likes visually."

While still in the early stages, the project is expected to be inspired by the rapper's life or possibly his alter ego, Johnny Vulture, the guitar-playing wildman seen in OutKast's video for the hit single "Hey Ya!" The special will likely have a musical component similar in style to such off-kilter animated films as "Cool World" and "Yellow Submarine." The rapper is expected to contribute music to the project.

Andre 3000 also is enjoying a burgeoning film career with a role in the "Get Shorty" sequel, "Be Cool." He also is gearing up for a starring role in a Jimi Hendrix biopic, to be directed by the Hughes brothers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Quote from: MacGuffinHe also is gearing up for a starring role in a Jimi Hendrix biopic, to be directed by the Hughes brothers.

why? why? why? why?  :evil:
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

mogwai

Quote from: El Duderinowhy? why? why? why?  :evil:
who do you prefer? denzel washington or wesley snipes?

Pas

mogwai

haha!! yes, and he narrates it shawshank redemption style.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

As far as looks and musical talent go (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on his acting talent), Andre is the best 'name' to fill Hendrix's shoes. If they wanted to cast someone else, he'd probably have to be an unknown; I could see Mos Def doing it, but I think I'd give Andre a shot over him.

bonanzataz

OR they could just NOT make biography films about sixties rock stars (pink as janis joplin? i think not...).

bio films are so boring anyway, because they try to cram everything in from birth to death in 2 and a half hours - usually following a very definite structure. child had to endure many hardships and was a genius since birth. as a young adult, more hardships endured b/c nobody will let him get his foot in the door. he gets his foot in the door. makes it big. does stupid shit. dies.

why can't they just make straight documentaries. those are so much more interesting. and they don't star pink as janis mother fucking joplin.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

El Duderino

Quote from: bonanzatazOR they could just NOT make biography films about sixties rock stars (pink as janis joplin? i think not...).

YES! THANK YOU!

El Duderino

could this be it? sounds like what you were talking about, i dunno about Jimi Hendrix though

ANDRE 3000 IS SET TO STAR IN HIS OWN FEATURE FILM
Source: Variety
Date: May 17, 2004, 11:30 am

Andre Benjamin, better known as "Andre 3000" of OutKast, has inked a deal for his first starring vehicle with Sam Nazarian's Element Films and Paris Barclay attached to direct.

Benjamin will star in the yet untitled pic, which was written by Charles and Janice Raiteri. In the film, set in the mid-'70s, he will portray an upper-middle-class musical prodigy who falls in love with a lower-class free spirit who happens to be white. Production is skedded to begin in October in New Orleans.

Barclay's feature directing credits include "The Big Time" and "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood." He has directed episodes of "Fastlane" and "The West Wing."

MacGuffin

Andre 3000 Stewing Over What To 'Cook Up' For New Outkast LP
He also explains his flurry of recent guest appearances: 'It wasn't like a divine plan or anything.'
Source: MTV

Andre 3000 has been one of the most prolific rappers in hip-hop in recent months, dropping lyrical gems on a variety of artists' singles, remixes and mixtape tracks. He's also been its most elusive figure, ducking the spotlight when inquiring minds — and reporters — come calling.

But Dre finally came out of hiding on Wednesday in Los Angeles while on the set for the upcoming UGK video "Int'l Players Anthem," which features Dre and his Outkast partner, Big Boi. In an exclusive interview with MTV News, he addressed his string of guest verses.

"Really, [it's been] all by chance, it wasn't like a divine plan or anything," he told MTV News from his trailer. "It was locally-charged. You had some guys that are from Atlanta that I know, that are producers, that had a couple of beats. They were like, 'Would you get on the remix?' I said, 'Sure.' "

On Outkast's "Idlewild" soundtrack, Dre responded to critics of his more adventurous musical forays by returning to his tried-and-true rapping style. Compared to previous multiplatinum sales of Outkast albums, though, the soundtrack was considered a commercial disappointment, and little had been heard from Dre since.

His emergence recently on a seemingly random assortment of tracks has come out of nowhere. The spots include guest verses on the remix to Rich Boy's "Throw Some D's" (also featuring the Game, Nelly, Murphy Lee and Jim Jones); the latest Devin the Dude single, "What a Job" (also featuring Snoop Dogg); Lloyd's "You" remix (also featuring Nas); and the Outkast cameo on UGK's single. It actually started in October, when he appeared on the remix to DJ Unk's hit single, "Walk It Out" (also featuring Big Boi and Jim Jones).

"I think [Outkast DJ Cutmaster Swift] told me that it would be a good idea to get on 'Walk It Out' 'cause I like the song anyway," he said. "You know, Atlanta [is] a whole 'nother thing. The song was a jamming song, and it's like, why not? They sent an instrumental — let me see what I can do to it.

"It's all about if I can write to it, because I actually get a lot of offers to be on songs I would really like to be on, but I just can't write in time. I be doing so much, it's crazy. But I wrote my little piece, went to the studio, put it down and they dug it. That was it. To me, it's all about the beat. If it's jammin' so hard when you writin' to it, you just wanna say something."

Part of the reason Dre has been so elusive lately is because he's been focusing on his burgeoning acting career. Currently, he's been in Los Angeles shooting "Semi-Pro," a Will Ferrell sports comedy set against the 1970s-era American Basketball Association.

Still, the movie couldn't hold Dre back from working with Bun B and Pimp C again — Outkast and UGK first collaborated on the "Shaft" soundtrack song "Tough Guy" in 2000. "We grew up listening to those guys," Dre beamed. "They're living legends."

Outkast's participation on the new UGK single came courtesy Three 6 Mafia, who produced the song and were originally to appear as the guest MCs.

"Juicy J did the beat and sent it over," he said. "It was jammin' and I started writing. I hit Bun B on text [message], and said, 'Is it too late for me to get on this song?' — because they were a weekend away from finishing up the album. Bun sent me back a message: 'What? Of course not.'

"What's funny is I tried to rap my verse to the beat so many times and it just didn't feel right," he continued. "[My verse] is more like a conversational piece. So I told the engineer to drop the beat out, and we tried it that way. It worked and we just left it in like that. Honestly, I never thought we'd get away with it because that's a long-ass motherf------ verse!"

Dre admitted that he and Big Boi are talking about the next Outkast album, which may be another dual-solo release, like Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below. "Really, I gotta find out what I'm tryin' to say," he said. "It's almost like a picnic — you call your auntie and say, 'You bringin' some greens? Yeah? OK, I'm not gonna bring any greens.' I gotta find out what I gotta cook up. But to quote James Brown, 'Whatever it is, it's got to be funky.' "

The video for "Int'l Players Anthem" is due to be completed at the end of this month. UGK's next album, Underground Kingz, is due July 17.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks