50 First Dates

Started by MacGuffin, December 18, 2003, 09:04:26 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: February 13th, 2004 (wide)  

Cast: Adam Sandler (Henry Roth), Drew Barrymore (Lucy Whitmore), Sean Astin (Doug), Missi Pyle (Noreen), Rob Schneider (Ula), Pomaika'i Brown (Nick), Blake Clark (Marlin), Lynn Collins (Donna), Allen Covert (10 Second Tom), Adam Del Rio, Amy Hill (Sue), Kevin James (cameo), Lusia Strus (Alexa), Katheryn Winnick.

Director: Peter Segal (Anger Management, Tommy Boy, My Fellow Americans, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult, Nutty Professor II: The Klumps)

Screenwriters: George Wing (feature film debut); rewrite by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel (writing team of Ed-TV, Parenthood, City Slickers); production rewrites by Tim Herlihy (Mr. Deeds, The Wedding Singer) & Adam Sandler (writing team of The Waterboy, Happy Gilmore) and Allen Covert (cowriter of Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights).

Premise: Henry Roth (Sandler), a veterinarian at an aquarium in Hawaii, falls in love with a girl, Lucy (Barrymore), with short-term memory loss (ala Memento), so that he has to keep getting her to fall in love with him every time they meet in order for them to have a relationship (since she never remembers the last time she met him). (Rob Schneider plays Ula, the Hawaiian "surfer buddy" of Sandler's character; Astin plays Drew's brother, who has a lisp).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

NEON MERCURY

..... :roll: ...this will suck

A question for the PTA fanboys:

"After Adam's performance in PDL(which he did do a great job in) do you guys now think he's a "real" actor?  Or do yoou think that his choice of doing PDL was a fflash in the pannts kind of thing annd nnow it 's back to doing the same sh*t he always does?"

Pubrick

man i don't give a shit if he makes more PDLs.

i'll pay to see this.
under the paving stones.

cine

It's this part I do not like:
"production rewrites by Tim Herlihy (Mr. Deeds, The Wedding Singer) & Adam Sandler (writing team of The Waterboy, Happy Gilmore) and Allen Covert (cowriter of Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights)."

Fishbulb

Didn't he do ANGER MANAGEMENT after he did PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE? I don't think he's going to change the formula for his own movies. He knows what works and what audiences want to see him doing. PDL didn't do very well at the box office, even though it was a critical success.

Find Your Magali

Umm, way to rip off one of the plot points of "Finding Nemo"...

No thanks...

Gamblour.

311 DOES SOUNDTRACK WORK:
On the summer tour, Adam Sandler came out to 311's show in Orange County, California. He hung out with the band on the tour bus before the show and watched the show from the side of the stage. A few months ago, Adam asked 311 to contribute a song to his upcoming movie "Fifty First Dates" (starring Adam & Drew Barrymore). The movie takes place in Hawaii - so Adam wanted a soundtrack of classic 80's songs re-created with a reggae-island vibe. 311 covered the Cure's "Love Song." Nick also produced a few other songs for the movie and soundtrack, including songs with artists Seal ("Lips Like Sugar"), Jason Mraz ("Melt With You") and Dryden Mitchell ("Friday I'm In Love") contributing vocals.
WWPTAD?

bonanzataz

the newer adam sandler movies (mr. deeds, anger management, and, from the looks of it, this movie) are so near to being perfectly rounded comedies. they ALMOST have it down, but somewhere in the scriptwriting or direction, sandler or whoever wants to go somewhere that the material shouldn't be going. i loved anger management, but the script needed a lot of work and it could have been directed a million times better. the director for anger management is back on this movie. i listened to his commentary track and he's kind of a tool. i can see why AM turned out the way it did. to me, billy madison and happy gilmore are just great comedies, and wedding singer blended everything a sandler comedy tries to achieve and it did it perfectly. it was funny, it had a strong romance, it had bizarre peripheral characters that the audience liked, and overall, it just worked. the later ones just seem to take the points i just mentioned and exaggerate them at times, which just makes the movies uneven and not believable. i know exactly what to expect from this movie, and i'm sure i'll enjoy it, but i'll be pissed off that they didn't get it right again.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gamblour.

Quote from: taz.the newer adam sandler movies (mr. deeds, anger management, and, from the looks of it, this movie) are so near to being perfectly rounded comedies. they ALMOST have it down, but somewhere in the scriptwriting or direction, sandler or whoever wants to go somewhere that the material shouldn't be going. i loved anger management, but the script needed a lot of work and it could have been directed a million times better. the director for anger management is back on this movie. i listened to his commentary track and he's kind of a tool. i can see why AM turned out the way it did. to me, billy madison and happy gilmore are just great comedies, and wedding singer blended everything a sandler comedy tries to achieve and it did it perfectly. it was funny, it had a strong romance, it had bizarre peripheral characters that the audience liked, and overall, it just worked. the later ones just seem to take the points i just mentioned and exaggerate them at times, which just makes the movies uneven and not believable. i know exactly what to expect from this movie, and i'm sure i'll enjoy it, but i'll be pissed off that they didn't get it right again.

Yeah like PDL, what the fuck was that??
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

I recognize the text at the top of that poster. Where's it from?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI recognize the text at the top of that poster. Where's it from?

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI recognize the text at the top of that poster. Where's it from?
mac, unless you were ironic, i think jb meant this one:

anyway, i'd pay to see any sandler movie set in hawaii.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Gamblor du Jour

in my mind, that's not an adam sandler movie. it's a paul thomas anderson movie. two different types of comedy.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gamblour.

Quote from: taz.
Quote from: Gamblor du Jour

in my mind, that's not an adam sandler movie. it's a paul thomas anderson movie. two different types of comedy.

I know, just trying to pan to that fact by playing the 'typical' Sandler fan, "he doesn't scream really loud! this movie sucks!"
WWPTAD?