Best Crowe Film

Started by Banky, January 19, 2004, 08:19:52 PM

Reel

I got that, literally my parents. Really scratched up though. I'll give it to you. $5.

my first album I ever bought was Led Zeppelin II, I'll sell you that one. $10

Not much of a crowe fan, but I gotta say this is my favorite of his. PSH playing Lester Bangs? Come on.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Bethie on August 09, 2012, 12:40:10 AM
I'm working on collecting all the records that William fondles in the beginning of Almost Famous.

I need Pet Sounds. Anyone want to raid their parents record collection for me?

Oh come on.... Save yourself some trouble. Just Torrent it and burn it to a CD.  :)   (Yes, I am THAT guy)

* My favorite Crowe movie has to be JERRY MAGUIRE, pretty much because of Tom cruise's performance, but also of course, the writing is excellent. ALMOST FAMOUS comes close second, but Cruise's performance as Jerry Maguire just blows my mind everytime I watch it. Should've gotten the Oscar for that..
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Reel

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 10, 2012, 12:30:44 AM
Quote from: Bethie on August 09, 2012, 12:40:10 AM
I'm working on collecting all the records that William fondles in the beginning of Almost Famous.
I need Pet Sounds. Anyone want to raid their parents record collection for me?

Oh come on.... Save yourself some trouble. Just Torrent it and burn it to a CD.  :)   (Yes, I am THAT guy)

"Please! Compact discs blow! People were not meant to hear music with such clarity. People need to hear snaps and pops and that shit."

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Reelist on August 10, 2012, 11:26:30 AM

“Please! Compact discs blow! People were not meant to hear music with such clarity. People need to hear snaps and pops and that shit.”

Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Bethie

Quote from: Reelist on August 10, 2012, 12:23:48 AM
I got that, literally my parents. Really scratched up though. I'll give it to you. $5.

I'll take it. am i giving you 5 bucks or donating it to xixax?
who likes movies anyway

Reel

DONATE!

but you have to give $920. That's my new rule, whatever your post count is. Trying to raise $$$ to bring down voting back.

MacGuffin

Alec Baldwin Joining Cameron Crowe Pic
BY MIKE FLEMING JR

EXCLUSIVE: When I saw him in Cannes while he and Jim Toback were unveiling their hilarious documentary Seduced And Abandoned, Alec Baldwin made it clear that any roles he takes in the near future would have to square with his commitment to being a new dad. His wife Hilaria was close by, looking adorably pregnant. It looks like the Cameron Crowe-directed untitled film for Sony fits that bill because I hear that Baldwin is negotiating. Crowe and producer Scott Rudin have been discreet about the movie, but it looks like Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams and Danny McBride are all part of it. Look for Baldwin to lock his role shortly. By the way, that documentary, which showed Baldwin and Toback shopping a movie package to foreign sales moguls like Avi Lerner, will make its debut on HBO. Baldwin's repped by CAA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

I made one of the zep shirts from almost famous. (To be a rock and not to roll)

I just want Cameron to tweet @ me. Is that too much to ask?
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Bill Murray in Talks to Join Bradley Cooper in Cameron Crowe's New Movie (Exclusive)
Murray's frequent collaborator Scott Rudin is producing the film, which co-stars Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams
Source: The Wrap

After working with producer Scott Rudin on numerous Wes Anderson movies, Bill Murray is in talks to join the new Cameron Crowe movie that Rudin is currently producing in Hawaii, an individual familiar with the untitled Sony project has told TheWrap.

Sony did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment.

The romantic comedy stars Bradley Cooper as a defense contractor who's assigned to oversee the launch of a weapons satellite from Hawaii, where he falls for an Air Force pilot (Emma Stone). With the help of mystical island forces and a talking computer, they team up to scuttle the launch.

Rachel McAdams co-stars alongside Danny McBride, Alec Baldwin, Edi Gathegi and Jay Baruchel, who joined the cast last week as Cooper's step brother. He previously worked with Crowe on "Almost Famous."

Should a deal make, it would mark the first time writer-director Crowe has worked with Murray, whose role is being kept under wraps.

Sony and Rudin plan to release the movie, which is a revamped version of Crowe's old script "Deep Tiki," sometime in 2014.

At age 63, Murray shows no signs of slowing down following a stellar 2012 campaign in which he played FDR in "Hyde Park on Hudson" and co-starred in Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom." He just reteamed with the quirky auteur again on "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and also wrapped the title role in "St. Vincent de Van Nuys," which is expected to be an awards contender next year.

Murray will soon be seen alongside George Clooney and Matt Damon in the WWII movie "Monuments Men," which Sony will release on Dec. 18. He's represented by attorney David Nochimson of Ziffren, Brittenham.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Cameron Crowe Teams With J.J. Abrams & 'My So-Called Life' Creator For Showtime Comedy Series 'Roadies'
via The Playlist

Nearly ten years on, and Cameron Crowe's career is still putting itself back together after "Elizabethtown." Before that, Crowe was riding high with a number of hits in a row, most notably "Jerry Maguire" and "Almost Famous," but the much-derided Orlando Bloom/Kirsten Dunst film ended his run of success, and Crowe had trouble getting another project set up for a while, with six years passing until his next film, 2011's "We Bought A Zoo," and even that (while solid enough) was something of a work-for-hire gig.

But things are looking up in a big way. Crowe's currently in post-production on a still-untitled comedy (once known as "Deep Tiki"), with the A-grade rom-com pairing of Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone (along with ace supporting players like Rachel McAdams, John Krasinski, Jay Baruchel, Bill Murray, Danny McBride and Alec Baldwin) that hits at Christmas. And now news has revived from the freshly resurrected Nikki Finke that Crowe has another project, and it involves switching mediums.

According to the sorceress of gossip, Crowe is developing a TV comedy pilot for Showtime called "Roadies" with J.J. Abrams and his production company Bad Robot. As the title suggests, it seems to be a return to the kind of setting of "Almost Famous," being an ensemble comedy set on a U.S. rock tour, and Crowe has written, and will direct the pilot. The creator of "My So-Called Life," Winnie Holzman, who also wrote musical "Wicked," would serve as showrunner after that.

wilder

Christina Hendricks To Star In Cameron Crowe Showtime Pilot 'Roadies'
via Deadline

Mad Men's Christina Hendricks is set to star opposite Luke Wilson and Imogen Poots in Showtime's hourlong comedy pilot Roadies, written, directed and executive produced by Cameron Crowe and executive produced by Winnie Holzman and J.J. Abrams. Roadies follows the day-to-day life of a successful rock tour as seen through the eyes of the crew members who help get the show on the road. Hendricks will play Shelli, the band's production manager – Bill's (Wilson) ingenious work partner, tough, but privately emotional, married to her job... and scary-good at it. Rafe Spall, Peter Cambor and Keisha Castle-Hughes co-star in the pilot, which will shoot in Vancouver in early 2015.

wilder

Vanilla Sky comes to blu-ray in 2 weeks. I haven't watched it in over 10 years. Was 15 in its release year and this was one of the first movies I remember being conscious of being panned but thinking there was something more to...sort of one of the first movies that "woke me up". No idea what I'd think of it now.

Anyway, let's all just have a moment of silence for a time long passed when Tom Cruise was still signing up for projects this weird:

jenkins

It's close to the opposite for me, because Crowe was a first director whom I heard people say nice things about all the time and I was like, nah you being silly. I had the arrogance of youth (which oh do I still have that?) and wasn't having him. I clearly remember saying he and Ron Howard were examples of what I didn't like in movies.

The most recently I've seen a Crowe film is Singles last month or so, on a double with Reality Bites. Reality Bites was more impressively made in terms of what they did with their camera there, I thought that night, but I must say that my current emotional memories are richer for Singles. So, props there. I never got the nerve to go see Aloha. Vanilla Sky strikes me as a possible entry into liking Crowe more, if at some point in my life I'll start liking Crowe more, since this movie is different from his other movies. So please report back on that.

Also, regarding Howard, I still want to watch Rush, which I'd forgotten about until now.

BB

Man, I'd forgotten about Rush too! And Aloha, even though it just came out. And I never did see We Bought a Zoo (which at the time of its release I always pronounced with the emphasis on "Bought"). Gotta triple feature it soon. I think I'm otherwise caught up with both of their oeuvres. (Is this perhaps the first and possibly only time the collected works of Ron Howard will be referred to as an oeuvre?)

As for Vanilla Sky, my memory is hazy, but I kinda lump it together with Donnie Darko as movies that blew my friends' minds in Grade 10 that I was too cool for because I had seen Mulholland Drive. The only things I really remember are the twist at the end and that a mole on Penelope Cruz's bosom played some key part. I definitely remember the bosom.