the streets - original pirate material (+ new album)

Started by phil marlowe, April 22, 2003, 02:50:14 PM

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwaihas anyone seen the "fit but you know it" vid? brilliant, i say.

Yes, it's brilliant.

Sigur Rós

context, context, context.

If someone has the mp3 of Fit But You Know It (MC Version) , please PM me.

A World Apart

I just downloaded a bunch of their songs. Wow!! I had never heard of them before now. I got into them right away. I love their rhythm, it's so unique and yet it just flows so well together, and they can be really hilarious.

Pubrick, I got "Weak Become Heroes" as you suggested. I love it.
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

matt35mm

I'm enjoying this album.  I'll need a few more listens before I can really say how it compares to OPM.

It's different than his first album... more romantic and kinda a lovely album, but not a softie album by any means.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I just got into them (a friend let me borrow their stuff).  At first I didn't know if it was a joke or what, it sounded so different, then I listened to it more intensely...it isn't a joke, he may be one of ht emore talented rappers out there today.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

Quote from: matt35mmI'll need a few more listens before I can really say how it compares to OPM.
Okay, now I can say that I love the new album.  It's great!  "Empty Cans" is such a great great song, my favorite on the album.  And I can't help but get into it when "Fit But You Know It" comes on.

"Could Well Be In" is so romantic, "Dry Your Eyes" is genuinely heartbreaking, so this album feels very real in terms of relationships.  "It Was Supposed to be so Easy" is a perfect track to prepare the listener that this album is about a regular guy dealing with regular things.

Anyway, I give my  :yabbse-thumbup: to A Grand Don't Come For Free.

matt35mm

Pubrick

yeah, it's good that he's releasing the best tracks.. fit notwithstanding.

dry your eyes came and went.
under the paving stones.

penfold0101

Just incase you didnt know The Streets are releassing there 3rd album, The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living,  on the 10th April 2006 here in the UK.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: penfold0101 on February 23, 2006, 03:32:41 AM
Just incase you didnt know The Streets are releassing there 3rd album, The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living,  on the 10th April 2006 here in the UK.

It's about time.  Any singles released yet over there?

matt35mm

Quote from: coxsparrow on February 23, 2006, 05:47:51 AM
Quote from: penfold0101 on February 23, 2006, 03:32:41 AM

It's about time.  Any singles released yet over there?
The Streets will return with a new single from their forthcoming album 'The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living' next month.

The track, 'When You Wasn't Famous', is released on March 27 prior to the band's third album on April 10.

The song tells "the true story of (Mike) Skinner's pursuit of a celebrity girl that put him right back to square one of the dating game".

Speaking about the album, Skinner recently told NME.COM: "It isn't a narrative. But to be honest I don't think I could write an album without feeling like there are plots going on. Actually this album is a true story. After 'A Grand Don't Come For Free' I was like, 'What am I going to write about?' I can't moan I've got no money any more, but then it gradually dawned on me that my life is so crazy! You'd never believe some of the stuff that's happened to me along the way in countries far away."

The Streets are set to perform four dates in the UK later this week culminating in a ShockWaves NME Awards 2006 show at the London Astoria on February 18.

They will play:

Norwich UEA (February 15)
Sheffield Leadmill (16)
Bath Pavilion (17)
London Astoria (18)

Gamblour.

So I seem to be a year or two behind stuff that is actually awesome, whether it's finally listening to Mogwai or liking Sufjan Stevens after Illinois had been out for a year. But I finally felt in the mood to listen to A Grand Don't Come for Free, which I HATED the first time I heard it. It sounded so stupid. but then, a couple of times on shuffle on my ipod, songs would pop up and I realized that the story he tells is absolutely hilarious and truthful and very telling of his life. So I listened to the whole album last night, and I feel stupid for not liking it earlier. I just love how he foreshadows topics in later songs, weaving this narrative all the way through. It's strange that it's really a concept album, which is mostly reserved for prog rock bands to claim. But damn, I fucking love how bad the rapping is at times, and how honest he can be.

From now on, when I see some new thread for some new band, I will try to pay more attention.
WWPTAD?