Christmas Movies

Started by modage, December 01, 2003, 08:20:18 AM

modage

#18 :yabbse-thumbup: ONE OF MOD'S TOP FIVE CHRISTMAS MOVIES OF ALL TIME :yabbse-thumbup:

NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION (1989)
Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no! We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here! We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye! And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse!

i'm actually writing in with this one before we watch it tonite just because i dont want to have to think about what i'm going to write in about it and take anything away fromt the film.  basically i can only assume that all of you have seen this movie by now, but just in case...  this is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen in my life. there are so many great lines in this movie its hard to catch it all in one sitting which is why it gets funnier every year. (see imdb quotes page for a long list of them http://imdb.com/title/tt0097958/quotes )  this is my favorite 'vacation' and probably my favorite thing john hughes ever wrote.  not only is it funny, but also manages to capture so much of modern american christmas experience that it makes it (in my house atleast) a classic classic film.  everyone who celebrates christmas should try to squeeze this one in, and quick!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

If that dosen't spell X-Mas, I don't know what does.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: aClockworkWalrusIf that dosen't spell X-Mas, I don't know what does.

#19 :yabbse-thumbup: ONE OF MOD'S TOP FIVE CHRISTMAS MOVIES OF ALL TIME :yabbse-thumbup:

A CHRISTMAS STORY (1983)
The old man stood there, quivering with fury, stammering as he tried to come up with a real crusher. All he got out was... "Notafinga!"

again, i'm writing in with these last two before i watch them tonite because i dont want to have to think during them.  this is, like it probably is for most people, my favorite christmas movie of all time.  i've watched it every year since i was little and it never loses anything.  something about the attention to period and how clever the writing is in particular makes this such a classic film.  jean shepard narrating as an older ralphie looking back (a device stolen for the also great show 'the wonder years') is something that adds such a unique point of view to the movie.  (Jean Shepherd's book "In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash", which the film is partly based on, is a collection of short stories that Shepherd wrote for "Playboy" magazine during the 1960s.)  so many of the situations in the movie have seemingly become part of pop culture from flick getting his tongue stuck to the pole, the 'major award' leg lamp gleaming of electric sex in the window, and of course, ralphies red ryder bb gun.  and again, like christmas vacation i cant even begin to count how many great lines are in this movie.  for me, it wouldnt feel like christmas if i did not watch this movie, and i can only assume everyone has already seen this by now, but if you havent for gods sake what are you waiting for?!?!  seriuosly, this isnt just a christmas movie, its a great great film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Other than the obvious, I think American Psycho comes in a close second...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

#20 :yabbse-thumbup: ONE OF MOD'S TOP FIVE CHRISTMAS MOVIES OF ALL TIME :yabbse-thumbup:

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1947)
Ironically, after the initial flop of the film at the box office, its popularity grew after its copyright expired due to a clerical error and it was shown repeatedly on American television (especially at Christmas) without any royalties going to Frank Capra.

well it looks like we've come to the end here, and what a way to end it.  this is quite simply my favorite movie of all time, without rival.  it contains everything i could ever want in a movie and is to me, perfect.  since i was the only person to vote for it during the recent dekapation, in the next few days i urge those of you who have seen it to watch it again and remember, and those of you who havent to watch it and discover something great for 2004.  merry christmas and happy holidays, mod

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Does it seem foolish to anyone to purchase the Christmas Story?  It's on 24/7 (almost literally) around Christmas time, so you could just tape it...unless the DVD has some spiffy features, I'll just enjoy the TV glory.

Wonderful Life rocks on so many levels, far surpassing your general Christmas Spirit film.

pete

Go

this is a japanese movie about a korean immigrant growing up in Japan, his run-ins with the local thugs, his dealing with the national identity, and his love.  It's pretty badass and it's a movie that's real young at heart.  My only complaint was the stupid trendy editing tricks it threw in.  But the movie is rock solid, badass and tender all at the same time, and even poignant at parts.  The hot chick from Battle Royale was in it.

here's a trailer:
http://www.asianfilms.org/japan/go/clip1.html

oh yeah, it's a Christmas film too.  It ends like one anyways.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

How is that a Christmas film?

I suggested American Psycho because it happens during X-mas, but am I missing somethign with yours?

pete

the whole climax of the film takes place on Christmas eve.  it's a Christmas film like Die Hard is a Christmas film.  Take a look.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

rise old thread, rise!

CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)
During filming, it was reported that the cast and crew had ingested over 10 pounds of fake snow.

saw this today, despite pretty scathing reviews.  on a tim allen christmas movie scale, it was nowhere near as good as the Santa Clause, but nowhere near as bad as Santa Clause 2.  so thats to say it was not very good, but not SO TERRIBLE you could have a lot of fun with that.  actually it made me appreciate elf a little more, although despite good intentions and cast, thats really only a little better than this.  its silly and ridiculous and occasionally funny but mostly predictable and not very good.   odd rock christmas sntk. featuring Ramones, the Raveonettes, Chesterfield Kings, etc.  the idea is a good one, and could've been mined for potentially new comedy about how obsessive everyone is about christmas and the sort of trouble someone who usually throws the good party gets into if they decided to skip it.  but they take it REALLY cartoon over-the-top and then try to pound home a bunch of sentiment at the end which doesnt fit at all and too many story threads come out of nowhere.  i really cant see how John Grisham wrote a book about this.

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS (1991)
Humphrey Bogarts wife + SNL star + little girl from Ghost World = ?.

had never seen this one before, even after several years of being pestered by my girlfriend to do so.  so it was on HBO a few days ago and we watched it tonight.  it was not very good, sort of like a christmas parent trap featuring thora birch being a cute little girl (like in monkey trouble) and ethan embry overacting his way onto the cover of teenbeat.  haha, actually it wasnt that bad, its just the film didnt have that much to do with christmas actually.  i think one of the main factors was that although it had falling snow and santa visits etc.  there wasnt wall to wall christmas music in it like most christmas movies have to remind you you're watching a holiday spectacle.

also, plan on hopefully watching the Alastair Sim and Muppet Christmas Carol's this year because i havent seen either.  and possibly that movie Noel http://imdb.com/title/tt0383534/ which aired on TV last week.

modage

yeah!  i've never seen the bear, but i love the snowman.  its even got a kicking live action introduction by david bowie!  (how bout that, neon?)  and the animation is just beautiful as well as the story.  i hope to watch that again this year.

modage

A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951)
Another version down, 1000 more to go...

watched this last week.  it was good, but almost kind of hard to judge a story told so many times so similarly.  i'll say that this wasnt my favorite, and that the quality of the dvd was pretty poor so i dont know that this would be the version i revisit.  the flashbacks are very extended with very little of scrooges observations on what he's seeing like in most other versions.  "whats that spirit?" - that kind of stuff.  this also dwelled more on the death during childbirth angle than i've seen before (and could swear is not in most versions i've seen although my dad says i'm crazy).  the first appearance of ghost 3 is pretty great, shot very cool.  and interesting that scrooge doesnt show up at tiny tims place on christmas like a handful of versions do and waits till the 26th to reveal to them that hes a nice guy now.  the highlight of the film though was seeing the great Dr. Pretorius from Bride of Frankenstein as an undertaker.  he looks even creepier older.

Bethie

Quote from: themodernage02#20 :yabbse-thumbup:

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1947)
Ironically, after the initial flop of the film at the box office, its popularity grew after its copyright expired due to a clerical error and it was shown repeatedly on American television (especially at Christmas) without any royalties going to Frank Capra.

well it looks like we've come to the end here, and what a way to end it.  this is quite simply my favorite movie of all time, without rival.  it contains everything i could ever want in a movie and is to me, perfect.  since i was the only person to vote for it during the recent dekapation, in the next few days i urge those of you who have seen it to watch it again and remember, and those of you who havent to watch it and discover something great for 2004.  merry christmas and happy holidays, mod

It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite film of all time. I saw it earlier tonight on the big screen baby. I made my Mom go with me. I was so excited to see it in a theatre on the big screen. I'm glad I had the experience because it was amazing.

You know in the film where the bank examiner says, "I want to spend Christmas in Elmira with my family" Yeah, thats where I live. The audience cheered when he said that. Seneca Falls (right near Seneca Lake, 30 min from me) is thought to be the inspiration for the town in the film, Bedford Falls. Last weekend Seneca Falls held a festival that celebrated the film. I wish I would have known. Karolyn Grimes, who played Zuzu was in attendance.

stupid story- The film was supposed to start at 7 o'clock and my mom and I got there RIGHT on the dot. I didn't want it to start without me so I was rushing. I let her off in front of the theatre to purchase tickets while I found a parking spot. The theatre had a good turn out so it was difficult to find a spot. When it was over...we had to walk to the car...walking...more walking... like 3 blocks. My Mom says to me, "What did you do, run to the theatre?"   :oops: hehe. Maybe.  hey, I got there in time though. They didn't even start it until 7:10.
who likes movies anyway

ono

In the spirit of the season, here's David Cronenberg on It's a Wonderful Life:

CRONENBERG: To them [Rotterdam], I'm a total sell-out Hollywood mainstream moviemaker, because they show Chilean underground films, beyond art films, films seen by five people at most.
DAVID BRESKIN: Things that would make Stereo look like It's a Wonderfilm Wonderful Life.  (My typo, for your amusement.)
CRONENBERG: Yeah, exactly.  Although that is a very strange movie, It's a Wonderful Life.  You know, two hours of torture for one minute of catharsis.  I'm not sure it's a trade-off.  People who think it's a wonderful, warm comedy, I don't know what they're seeing.
BRESKIN: It's a vicious movie.
CRONENBERG: It's fucking vicious!  And it betrays a mind that really is, I think, misanthropic.  That truly is misanthropic.  That's been more critical of human beings and America than almost all of William Burroughs, in a way.  It's just so nasty.  And what a weird approach most people have: what a wonderful Christmas picture!
BRESKIN: See, it's the payoff.  We go back to catharsis, because if you didn't have that--
CRONENBERG: If you didn't have that, you'd see the movie as it really was.  That's a fake!  That's a fake!  The movie's not a fake, but the ending is a fake.

I like the movie, but I still thought that was amusing.