The Death of a Great Director

Started by filmcritic, June 10, 2003, 04:40:28 PM

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Duck Sauce

I think the saddest part about seeing Eyes Wide Shut is knowing that it is his last movie he will ever make and like Tom Cruise said, we will never see anything like it again. Heres to praying PTA gets a little more crazy and a little more reclusive to fill that gap.

modage

lets just hope he doesnt start leaving 12 years between his movies though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

i was in sixth grade, extremely sad about it - tried to find comfort in all of my friends, who said "stanley who?"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I was first told after viewing Clockwork Orange.  I had been a huge fan thus far with Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb) and even though a lot of people I know said it sucked, I loved the Shining.

I am still yet to see Full Metal Jacket and 2001.   wasn't a huge fan of Eyes Wide Shut.  Maybe I should just watch it again...and I'm not too keen on seeing A.I.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Fernando

Damn, today it's been six years since SK's passing, time goes by real fast these days.

:(

Gold Trumpet

I forgot the date... I remember his death being a major factor of turning me into a cinephile.

samsong

Finn

Geez...that's like having your birthday on Sep. 11th
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SiliasRuby

I remember the exact moment that I heard that he died. It was that day and I was of course surfing the net, like always when I came across it like so many others had, on imdb.com. I couldn't believe it. Strangely enough, I went on a kubrick binge with my dad that friday and saturday, and watched Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey on friday, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining on saturday. Then on sunday, Wammo, like a ton of bricks and I really wanted to see more of his stuff. Then later that year, I saw Eyes Wide Shut in a theatre with my father and I thought, Jesus, this really is the last film he will ever make. Coincidentially, That was also the year that I saw my first PTA flick (magnolia), and that was also the year that made me a cinephine 4 life.

Sometimes I still can't believe it and I think he's living on an island somewhere with 2 pac and Andy Kaufman making short films with a 16 millimeter camera. I know that is absurd but a man can dream can't he?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Myxo

I really wish Kubrick had lived long enough to give us a proper version of A.I.

mogwai

Quote from: MyxomatosisI really wish Kubrick had lived long enough to give us a proper version of A.I.
that is his version. he wanted spielberg to direct it. and kubrick only wanted to produce it.

kubrick is currently producing napoleon

Myxo

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: MyxomatosisI really wish Kubrick had lived long enough to give us a proper version of A.I.
that is his version. he wanted spielberg to direct it. and kubrick only wanted to produce it.

kubrick is currently producing napoleon

Really? God, I didn't know that.

Do you think the film might have been less cheesy toward the end with Kubrick collaborating with him? I know he and Spielberg talked about the project for ages but wasn't so sure all of their ideas had been flushed out enough to turn it into a screenplay. Spielberg worked off notes from conversations he had with Kubrick. Was it a working relationship like Lucas had with Spielberg for Indiana Jones then?

mogwai

Quote from: MyxomatosisDo you think the film might have been less cheesy toward the end with Kubrick collaborating with him? I know he and Spielberg talked about the project for ages but wasn't so sure all of their ideas had been flushed out enough to turn it into a screenplay. Spielberg worked off notes from conversations he had with Kubrick. Was it a working relationship like Lucas had with Spielberg for Indiana Jones then?
the ending was kubrick's. kubrick felt that it was a typical ending only spielberg would prefer. that's why he wanted spielberg to direct.

relationship? um, i have a book that deals about that. it's written by one of kubrick film crew. it's actually an diary on the eyes wide shut shoot. i'm not really sure it's 100% accurate. and i don't know if it will give you an insight on the working relationship either. he writes the following:

"the work on a.i. began as we were prepping "eyes". kubrick and spielberg usually met on a wednesday. one wednesday spielberg flew over to england to discuss a.i. with stanley. and on this day tom cruise was present. they had dinner and tom cruise laughed hysterically over a joke stanley had said. spielberg stared manically at tom cruise's teeth (because they are huge!). he got irritated and said to tom: "hey kid, you got something in your teeths". tom started to cry and ran away from the dinner table. that was an odd wednesday"

cowboykurtis

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: MyxomatosisDo you think the film might have been less cheesy toward the end with Kubrick collaborating with him? I know he and Spielberg talked about the project for ages but wasn't so sure all of their ideas had been flushed out enough to turn it into a screenplay. Spielberg worked off notes from conversations he had with Kubrick. Was it a working relationship like Lucas had with Spielberg for Indiana Jones then?
the ending was kubrick's. kubrick felt that it was a typical ending only spielberg would prefer. that's why he wanted spielberg to direct.
[/i]

i believe you're wrong. At the end of the day, there's really no point in debating based on speculation. But an educated guess can say, if Kubrick was alive and active in the production, it would have been a different film - No doubt about it.
...your excuses are your own...