Sam Mendes

Started by TenseAndSober, February 27, 2003, 10:51:50 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Maya Rudolph: future Xixax award winner for Best Actress. Why? Because we love the father of her child.
Si

Ravi

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on March 08, 2008, 05:17:37 PM
Maya Rudolph: future Xixax award winner for Best Actress. Why? Because we love the father of her child want to be her.

MacGuffin

Columbia signs on for 'Preacher' feature
Sam Mendes to direct adaptation of Vertigo title
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Columbia Pictures has picked up the rights to "Preacher," the popular 1990s Vertigo series, for an adaptation to be directed by Sam Mendes.

Neal Moritz and his Original Films banner are producing with Kickstart Prods.' Jason Netter.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.

Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Getting a "Preacher" project off the ground has long been a favorite among the comic book literati in town, though none has been blessed to see completion. The project was previously set up as a one-hour series at HBO but was put into turnaround. Mark Steven Howard wrote a pilot which Howard Deutch was attached to direct.

A previous movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.

The new "Preacher" has no writers on board, though Mendes will lead the search while putting the finishing touches on his drama "Revolutionary Road, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet and due Dec. 26.

While comic book movies might seem as common as Joker Halloween costumes, CAA-repped Mendes directed one of this century's early comic adaptations, 2002's "Road to Perdition."

Moritz and Netter are working adapting another Ennis comic book, "The Boys," which also is set up Columbia.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sam Mendes Talks Preacher
Exclusive: Director on comic book movie 

Empire recently sat down with Sam Mendes for a nice chat, during which we asked the Brit director about the state of play on Mendes' next movie, a just-announced adaptation of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's controversial but brilliant comic book, Preacher.

So, Sam, what's the skinny?

"I'd love to make Preacher," he smiles. "But there's no script."

But... but... the Internet told us that...

"This is a typical Variety announcement," Mendes added. "'Mendes to direct Preacher' – I wish! Basically they should have written, 'Mendes in development with Preacher'. What I'm doing is, I've gotta find a script. I've just got to get it written."

Nevertheless, Mendes did go into some detail about his attraction to the project, which in pure thumbnail terms, is about a rebellious preacher called Jesse Custer and his quest to find God and make him accountable for crimes against humanity.

"It's brilliant, it's an incredible twisted vision," he said of the 66-issue story. "There's so much of it you couldn't possibly fit it all into one movie. It's just about what you keep and what you leave out, and how you structure the story. But just to have that toy set again, being able to paint on a big canvas and to say 'I am gonna do crazy crane shots and massive action sequences again because I want to,' it's exciting.."

Understandably, given the fledgling status of the project, Mendes isn't too keen to talk about specifics, but we did ask him about one casting issue – namely, the frequent appearances of John Wayne, whose ghost acts as a counsel to Jesse throughout.

"That's an interesting one, I wonder what the John Wayne estate's gonna say about that," teased Mendes. "We'll see, we'll have to get them on side..."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

That would be so awesome.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Opening on June 5th in limited release is Away We Go, a contemporary comedy directed by Academy Award winner Sam Mendes from an original screenplay by Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida. The movie follows the journey of an expectant couple (John Krasinski of "The Office" and Maya Rudolph of "Saturday Night Live"), as they travel the U.S. in search of a place to put down roots and raise a family. Rounding out the cast are Jeff Daniels, Carmen Ejogo, Jim Gaffigan, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Josh Hamilton, Allison Janney, Melanie Lynskey, Chris Messina, Catherine O'Hara, and Paul Schneider. Away We Go is produced and co-financed with Focus by Big Beach.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

2009 = the year of Eggers.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

Was Revolutionary Road filmed like American Beauty/and Road to Perdition - in regards to cinematography/stylized shots?

I knew Conrad Hall passed, but I wondered if he's still creating that look.
The scenes I saw from it during the Globes looked like he had.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

I mean, it's not as overt. There are those slow doorway push-ins, but nothing crazy like his pans left to right over the course of several shots. The film is beautiful, but it's definitely Deakins.
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

oops.
I just remembered that I never saw Jarhead. 
:yabbse-grin:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

John August to pen 'Preacher' film
Sam Mendes directing comic book adaptation
Source: Variety

"Big Fish" scribe John August has been tapped to adapt the supernatural graphic novel "Preacher" for Columbia.

Sam Mendes will direct the pic, which centers on the preacher of a Texas town who is struggling to get by and is driven only by his strong moral sense. When the city is decimated by an otherworldly force, he embarks on a journey across the country to take on the evil.

Critically lauded graphic novel was created by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon. The 75-issue "Preacher" series, which ran from 1995-2000, nabbed four Eisner Awards.

Sony-based Neal Moritz, who last year produced "Made of Honor," "Prom Night" and "Vantage Point" for the studio, is producing "Preacher" through his Original Film banner alongside Kickstart Prods.' Jason Netter. Ken Levin and Ori Marmur exec produce.

August, who is a frequent collaborator of Tim Burton, is currently writing "Dark Shadows" for Warner Bros. He made his directorial debut on 2007 drama "The Nines," which he also penned.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

God, I hope this movie gets made. But everyone involved so far is way too proper for the material. It needs someone with an edge and Sam Mendes and John August are the complete opposite of someone with an edge.

Potential spoilers....

Either way, to get the full effect of the story, it needs to be done as a trilogy with the first film following the first 4 issues introducing the main characters that will pull the story along, Genesis, Jesse, Cassidy, Tulip, Saint of Killers, Sheriff Root and Arseface. It should end with Jesse using the word to stop everyone from killing eachother then Saint Of Killers telling him, "I'm going to kill you." and Jesse saying, "Well, maybe, but not today." then him and Tulip ride off into the sunset.

The second film should follow issues 5-7. This storyline would be awesome. The one with the serial killer plotline. It's very early Andrew Kevin Walker'ish, but with humor.

The last film should follow the backstory after Jesse gets captured by his grand mother and the good ole boys and it shows his backstory. Growing up in that religious fanatic house with his grandmother after his father is murdered.

This could be so awesome if it's done right.

72teeth

did you just spoil anything...?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

Not really. I'll edit just in case.

MacGuffin

Columbia gets 'Lost In Austen'
Mendes to produce film adaptation of TV series
Source: Variety

Columbia Pictures is bringing a time-traveling Jane Austen drama to the bigscreen, with Sam Mendes aboard as producer.

Based on the Brit miniseries "Lost in Austen," film will center on Amanda, an ardent Jane Austen fan, lives in present day New York with her boyfriend, until she finds she's swapped places with Austen's fictional creation Elizabeth Bennett.

The show's original writer, Guy Andrews, is penning the screenplay.

The original four-part series starred Jemima Rooper and Gemma Arterton and aired on ITV in the U.K. in September.

Mammoth Screen, which produced the mini, will develop the movie version with Mendes' Neal Street Prods.

Andrews is exec producing alongside Mammoth Screen's Damien Timmer and Michele Buck and Neal Street's Pippa Harris.

Mendes, who most recently produced and directed "Revolutionary Road," is working with the studio on the apocalyptic comicbook adaptation "Preacher," which he is attached to helm.

Skeleton FilmWorks