Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Lottery

https://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/new-pta-film-shooting-under-working.html

Phantom Thread?

What do you lads think?
I can already see it in a simple font and the end of a minute and a half long youtube teaser.

Drenk

"The title is not THE PHANTOM THREAD. That is a production codename to deter paparazzi/film sites."

https://twitter.com/mccrabb_will/status/826211025200361472
Ascension.

Lottery

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/locations

Yeah, this is pretty new to him in that regard.

Quote from: Drenk on January 30, 2017, 06:50:25 PM
"The title is not THE PHANTOM THREAD. That is a production codename to deter paparazzi/film sites."

Kinda disappointing. I like those words, minus 'the'.

RegularKarate

Press Release

QuoteLOS ANGELES, February 1st, 2017 – Production has begun in the U.K. on writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson's untitled new film. Three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis is joined in the cast by Lesley Manville, who was a BAFTA Award nominee for Best Actress for Another Year, and Vicky Krieps, whose films include A Most Wanted Man and Focus Features' Hanna.

Focus holds worldwide rights to the film, and will distribute the film in the U.S. later this year with Universal Pictures handling international distribution.

The film's producers are JoAnne Sellar, Megan Ellison, through her Annapurna Pictures, and Paul Thomas Anderson. The executive producers are Peter Heslop, Adam Somner, and Daniel Lupi. Chelsea Barnard and Jillian Longnecker are overseeing production for Annapurna.

Continuing their creative collaboration following 2007's There Will Be Blood, which earned Mr. Day-Lewis the Best Actor Academy Award, Mr. Anderson will once again explore a distinctive milieu of the 20th century. The new movie is a drama set in the couture world of 1950s London. The story illuminates the life behind the curtain of an uncompromising dressmaker commissioned by royalty and high society.

The creative team includes Academy Award-winning costume designer Mark Bridges, marking his eighth consecutive project with Mr. Anderson; Emmy Award-winning production designer Mark Tildesley and BAFTA Award-nominated set decorator Véronique Melery; Academy Award-nominated film editor Dylan Tichenor, and BAFTA Award-nominated composer Jonny Greenwood, each marking their fourth feature with Mr. Anderson; casting director Cassandra Kulukundis, on her seventh film with Mr. Anderson; and lighting cameraman Michael Bauman.

modage

The lack of DP there seems to confirm PTA shooting this himself.  :shock:

Also interesting that the other 2 announced castmembers are both actresses who have been spotted on set already in the first few days. I wonder if they are indeed the film's two other most central characters or will there be more that just haven't been announced yet bc they haven't been seen. (Normally I would assume all the main ones are in the press release, but with PTA you never know.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fuzzy Dunlop

The fact that he is DPing it himself is interesting but we need to keep a close eye on that blue scarf he's wearing. Could just be a cold day, but could also potentially be the "That fucking brown shirt" of this era.

polkablues

It's at about a half-Aronofsky on the scarf meter for now, but we should continue to monitor its progress, just in case. God forbid it starts to Kravitz on us.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Could him DPing really be a budget mandate? Since when can't a $35 million dollar movie afford a DP? Hell I can imagine many talented young DPs who would work with PTA for free.

Fuzzy Dunlop

There's no way its a budget issue. PTA would never compromise on something that big. Crazy motherfucker just got a wild hair up his ass and wanted to do it himself.

I'm really excited to see what the look of the film is gonna be. Kind of hard to see from that angle but it looks like they are shooting 1.85:1 again.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Lottery

Dylan Tichenor is back. That's really big news to me. Leslie Mann* was the editor on PDL, TM and IV-  their vibe and flow is different from his other films.

No Crank or Fisk either on this one but type Véronique Melery into google images and you get a few pics of her work and you can totally understand the choice for set decorator.

Jonny! Woooooooooo!

The fact he's DoP on this one is still pretty crazy but I think the mention of Michael Bauman as lighting cameraman is probably important in this regard. He'll be important in balancing out the workload.

EDIT:

*Jones.

Reel

Quote from: Lottery on February 01, 2017, 07:56:42 PM
Leslie Mann was the editor on PDL, TM and IV-  their vibe and flow is different from his other films.

Leslie Mann is an actress and Judd Apatow's wife. You're thinking Leslie Jones. Not that one. This is all so very confusing.

The earliest report said this would be set in New York, another hope dashed! I was so excited to see the NYC sequence in 'The Master' that was entirely cut out of the film. We'll get him one day. The end of that movie wasn't actually shot in the UK, so I've become very curious what PTA's England will look like.

Great to see everything moving along so quickly!

Lottery

Quote from: Reelist on February 01, 2017, 08:48:49 PM
Leslie Mann is an actress and Judd Apatow's wife. You're thinking Leslie Jones. Not that one. This is all so very confusing.

Sorry, I'm a giant retard.

Perhaps Aimee Mann got caught into the mix of thoughts about past collaborators.

Quote from: Reelist on February 01, 2017, 08:48:49 PM

The earliest report said this would be set in New York, another hope dashed! I was so excited to see the NYC sequence in 'The Master' that was entirely cut out of the film. We'll get him one day. The end of that movie wasn't actually shot in the UK, so I've become very curious what PTA's England will look like.
Great to see everything moving along so quickly!

Yeah, that's the really exciting thing. He was kinda becoming known as a chronicler of America's 20th century in a way. So I'm wondering if he just followed the story he was writing or if there was some existing reason for him to try something different. A NYC sequence would be dope though. But there's always a possibility that there might be some scenes set in the US. I loved the department store parts in The Master, the production design was superb. I would love to see little NYC boutiques in a similar style.