the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

Sleuth

oh hey, Morrisey's got a new album
I like to hug dogs

Morrissey is appearing in every magazine in this planet.
context, context, context.

Pubrick

and still no one knows who he is.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Haha very true here in Quebec.

godardian

Seems many know who he is in my neighborhood... but then, I chose my neighborhood wisely.  :)

The single is a bona fide hit in the U.S., with a #4 position on the Billboard singles chart.

The album is out now, and no excuse not to buy it. It comes in the most remarkably aesthetically-pleasing CD sleeve I think I've ever seen; it's been designed to look like an LP. The contents are, of course, unimpeachable.

I'm getting ready to hold my nose through Craig Kilborn so I can watch the man on TV every night next week. I really, really don't like Kilborn.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

I'll get around to hearing this album at some point.

Ghostboy

My excuse for not buying it is that I have no money to spare, but I did hear a handful of full songs, as well as about a minute from every track on the album, on a radio show the other night, and it all sounded quite good, sometimes truly excellent, with, now and then, an ever so slight touch of the mediocre (although, truth be told, if the DJ hadn't gone to the trouble of  reading the lyrics to that song about the US out loud, I might not have noticed their ham-fistedness on the first listen). I'm happy to see the single doing so well, and I wish I could contribute to the monetary success of the album, but alas, I have to choose my music purchases carefully, and there are a few upcoming albums that are higher on my list of must-haves.

Pas

Quote from: godardianSeems many know who he is in my neighborhood... but then, I chose my neighborhood wisely.  :)

The single is a bona fide hit in the U.S., with a #4 position on the Billboard singles chart.

The album is out now, and no excuse not to buy it. It comes in the most remarkably aesthetically-pleasing CD sleeve I think I've ever seen; it's been designed to look like an LP. The contents are, of course, unimpeachable.

I'm getting ready to hold my nose through Craig Kilborn so I can watch the man on TV every night next week. I really, really don't like Kilborn.

Do us a full album review when you get a minute !  :yabbse-thumbup:

godardian

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: godardianSeems many know who he is in my neighborhood... but then, I chose my neighborhood wisely.  :)

Do us a full album review when you get a minute !  :yabbse-thumbup:

I should have one posted on my blog over the weekend.
 :oops:  :oops:  I don't even have to ask if I'm a nerd...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyMy excuse for not buying it is that I have no money to spare, but I did hear a handful of full songs, as well as about a minute from every track on the album, on a radio show the other night, and it all sounded quite good, sometimes truly excellent, with, now and then, an ever so slight touch of the mediocre (although, truth be told, if the DJ hadn't gone to the trouble of  reading the lyrics to that song about the US out loud, I might not have noticed their ham-fistedness on the first listen). I'm happy to see the single doing so well, and I wish I could contribute to the monetary success of the album, but alas, I have to choose my music purchases carefully, and there are a few upcoming albums that are higher on my list of must-haves.

"Shoplifters of the world, unite and take over."  :)

I should feel fortuante, then, that I don't have to choose between this and the new PJ, which is also looking to be very good, better than the last one.

A Matter Of Chance

Detailed Thoughts

I bought this CD on the day it was released, school was starting late so popped by tower records and picked it up... it's amazing. I liked the Smiths and Morrissey before, but now it's even better. The packaging is refreshing, too.

modage

Morrissey/Franz Ferdinand/Godardian Loses Control Over His Entire Body
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

godardian

I have posted on my blog a giant, way overlong post regarding the new Morrissey and various other debris of my life/cultural intake. In case anyone's remotely interested.

Morrissey and Franz Ferdinand, together at last... honestly, it's possible I wouldn't have ever heard of FF if it weren't for Morrissey. I know which sources to trust by now...

I think I'm gonna brave Lollapalooza to see the man.

Ghostboy

Man, that coverage of yours just makes me want to go out and spend the twelve bucks. Maybe I can afford it after all (if I think that way, anything is possible!).