Wolf Parade Lives! Also, Operators & Moonface (RIP Sunset Rubdown/Handsome Furs)

Started by ono, March 26, 2009, 05:42:04 PM

ono

Two weeks ago my brother and I saw Handsome Furs in Raleigh right before they were about to head out to another tour overseas.  They love it, we love it.  They're one of the best, most energetic and enthusiastic live acts I've seen, throwing themselves fully and physicaly into every song, giving such a memorable performance.  Dan came out clad in jacket which he lost after one song 'cause he was so hot.  His wife, Alexei looked all kinds of hot, complementing Dan's thrashes with her own jumping and bopping as she played her synth/drum machine and then crashed to the stage with (faux?) exhaustion after each song.  The couple actually remembered my brother and me from their earlier concert of two years ago in a nearby venue in Chapel Hill.  So before the concert, he snuck backstage and chatted him up a bit, and then when she came on stage, it registered with her again that yeah, you guys look familiar.  Dan's super friendly too.  Shook our hands, and we chatted for a bit.  Forget most of it, though.  Said though that their new album Sound Kapital had leaked, and this concert would be mostly new stuff.  Unfortunate, 'cause I love Plague Park so very much.  It's excellent driving music, especially through mountains and old cities.  Anyway, Sound Kapital -- check it out.  Like all projects from these group of guys, it's a unique beast to be absorbed and appreciated.

Oh yeah, and Expo 86 was just delicious.

modage

Yes, love Handsome Furs. Saw them a few weeks ago for the 7th(ish?) time. I heard that Wolf Parade might be nearing the end so that looks like Dan's fulltime gig starting soon.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Their unreleased new album has leaked?

Is she wearing undergarments in that photo? I'll never forget her topless photo in the Face Control pictures. It's pretty small on the CD version though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ono

7 times?  That's pretty fortunate/lucky.  Dan said they were probably going to swing by again after the album releases and they're done with Europe.  He also said Wolf Parade isn't done.  I think they just need a break, but I seem to recall him mentioning about starting that one up again at the end of the year.

bigideas: Yes, it leaked.  I got it from my bro who probably got it from someone at the Nonstuff forums.  I ... was not privy to the Face Control photos.  Any links?  Strictly for scientific purposes, I assure you.  Anyway, http://wolfparade.nonstuff.com/ is where I go for most news/goodies.

Though I listed Random Spirit Lover as my favorite SR album (and favorite ever, basically), I can't help but love and appreciate what Spencer Krug did with Dragonslayer.  RSL only elipses it because there are two very weak songs on DS.  BUT, You Go On Ahead, Nightingale, and Dragon's Lair are especially magical.  See the former:

"When me and the boys were out, we killed a thousand butterflies so I put their wings into my mouth and said a prayer for our safe arrival. And then a big black car crossed our path and I wondered whether or not that shit was empty!  YOU GO!!!"  The ending is even more transcendental.  Six outta eight isn't bad for that behemoth of an album.

tpfkabi

No links to the photos. One day I saw the Face Control vinyl at Hasting's in the Reduced bin for $3, I think. I didn't figure anyone around here knew who they were, so I didn't get it. Later it was gone. I already have the CD, but part of me wanted to see if the photos were blown up/bigger.

ono

Xixax always knows who everyone is.  A veritable oligarchy of esoterica, it seems to be.

modage

Quote from: modage on May 02, 2011, 07:57:06 AM
I heard that Wolf Parade might be nearing the end so that looks like Dan's fulltime gig starting soon.

"This is our last show for a long time" - Krug

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/06/wolf_parade_pla_4.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Serve the People is Handsome Furs awesome summer anthem.  HF posted this remix (replete with a Float On mash-up) to their FB page recently: http://soundcloud.com/hoodinternet/the-hood-internet-the-people  Oh yeah, and their album -- I refuse to say "dropped" -- today, if you haven't already stolen it.

socketlevel

I saw handsome furs at NXNE in toronto a couple weeks ago. It was pretty great. I'll upload a pic shortly
the one last hit that spent you...

RegularKarate

Yeah, I love the album. 
"Serve the People" is such a great track.  I feel like that Lupe Fiasco mash-up buries it, I kinda hate it.

tpfkabi

I wonder if they made some sticker to cover up the cover nudity for stores. Hopefully Hasting's carries this one.

Has the Moonface album leaked? I haven't looked into how that differs from Sunset Rubdown. Swan Lake may be due another, too.

Kaputt was received really well, though it seems to have already dropped from the public conscious.

ono

http://yfrog.com/gzajrpjj

:yabbse-lynchsighting:

Anyone heard the iTunes bonus track, Agony?

Yes, the Moonface album has leaked.  It is very different from Sunset Rubdown, and I don't know if I care for it yet.  Only one listen.  Shit-Drums EP was so great.  I'm always wanting artists to branch out, experiment, try longer tracks, so I'm trying to keep an open mind.  We'll see.  I do know that the odd-track out, the bonus one "The Way You Wish You Could Live In The Storm" is pretty amazing, though.  It's nothing like the album itself, which is one reason I perceive it as better.  Favorite on the album: ...I really can't say.  There's only 6!  It's between "Return to the Violence of the Ocean Floor" and "Fast Peter", but that'll probably change.

tpfkabi

Quote from: ono on July 03, 2011, 07:14:41 PM
 I do know that the odd-track out, the bonus one "The Way You Wish You Could Live In The Storm" is pretty amazing, though.  It's nothing like the album itself, which is one reason I perceive it as better.

The album itself not only leaked, but a bonus track as well?

ono

Well, not exactly "leaked" per se, but:

Quote from: wolfparade.nonstuff.comMoonface has a new song up for instant download called 'The Way You Wish You Could Live In The Storm' over at Moonface.ca. Here's his description of the song:

Here, take this. It's a song that was cut from the record – an angry duck that didn't get along with the other songs on the Organ Music LP. That is not to say it's a bad song (though not to say it's a good song, either), it's just something I made that I don't know what to do with. It's more techno, or something, than the rest of the Organ Music LP. Less silky. But still, I thought it was worth sharing, for anyone who cares. It's more than a pile of wet leaves. Maybe it's something you can listen to while you do the dishes, or draw, or teach your baby to dance. So if you're inclined, click on the link provided here and do with it what you will. The actual album, Organ Music Not Vibraphone Like I'd Hoped, is due out August 2nd, as planned, and that one I will demand your love for.

Thanks,
   everyone and anyone,
   for caring enough to get even this far.

sincerely,
   Moonface

Oh, and:

Handsome Furs - What About Us NSFW music video

ono

Handsome Furs is no more.  Dan Boeckner has teamed up with Britt Daniel (Spoon!) and some other dude to form Divine Fits.  New album coming later this year.

What's Spencer been up to?  Writing songs about hearbreak with Siinai, a second album for Moonface, which was released in April.

Alexei, left out in the cold.  Their six year honeymoon over?  Wolf Parade still on hiatus, but what they come up with while apart is interesting to see.