John Landis

Started by mutinyco, September 09, 2003, 11:07:20 PM

mutinyco

He was certainly the most influential comedy director from 1978-1989, give or take. Think: Animal House, Blues Brothers, Trading Places, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Coming to America. And of course the inimitable An American Werewolf in London.

His career needs some serious rehab.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Find Your Magali

Don't forget "The Kentucky Fried Movie" and "Amazon Women on the Moon," a pair of hit-and-miss sketch comedy movies that both have some absolutely pee-your-pants hilarious moments.

I think it's fair to say that his career was affected by the tragedy during the filming of "Twilight Zone: The Movie." And, really, "Coming to America" is the only hit that he's had post-tragedy.

I'm not sure if he truly has another great film in him.

aclockworkjj

Coming to America is a great movie.  Just makes me sad that Eddie is the "family funny man now".  Beverly Hills III was stupid though.

I still like Spies Like Us a lot.  That movie still cracks me up.  Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd are also 2 I wish I saw more of, as they both were hilarious.

Oh, right,...Landis...sorry...well, I like those movies, but more cause they make me laugh than anything.  Trading Spaces is pretty funny though, and Animal House is sorta a given.  

*a funny quote that for sum reason reminds me of here...

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjTrading Spaces is pretty funny though

They redecorated his room?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

"What are you doin' here? I thought you promised never to do this sort of thing again!"

"I never promised you any such thing!"

"Not you, ya twit -- her!"

"But I've never seen you before in my life..."

"Oh, sorry."
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Cecil

see you next wednesday

Gold Trumpet

I liked Animal House and Blues Brother on minor terms. All the rest didn't do much for me. His filmmaking career were for general films that at best, could be above the average comedy or genre movies in the most general sense. I don't see much identity with him as a filmmaker. I see identity though in Animal House and Blues Brothers more for who was acting in them and what they stood as for a lot of people. If any director was given the scripts for both movies, all he'd have to do is film the material to get the same results. He easily could do much better.

~rougerum

mutinyco

He had quite a bit of identity. There's myriad references running through his films. His sense of composition and timing were impeccable. He basically created what I consider the modern mainstream comedy. I think he was to comedy what Spielberg/Lucas were to adventure and fantasy in the late-70s/early-80s.

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Landis Keeps it REAL
Dan O'Dowd's story centers on a small-town football game that pits gay against straight.

John Landis next directing effort will be an adaptation of Dan O'Dowd's Real Men, a football comedy which the Mount Film Co. has just optioned. Mount will turn serious attention to the project once the Ernest Hemingway biopic Papa, starring Nick Nolte, nears completion.

The plot revolves around an impromptu small-town football game pitting gay against straight, and it attracts worldwide attention. Mount and O'Dowd are producing, while Chris Kobin and David Jones will co-executive produce.

Landis has directed such classic comedies as Animal House and The Blues Brothers. His most recent effort was the documentary Slasher for the IFC Channel, about a man known as the world's greatest used-car salesman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Quote from: mutinyco"What are you doin' here? I thought you promised never to do this sort of thing again!"

"I never promised you any such thing!"

"Not you, ya twit -- her!"

"But I've never seen you before in my life..."

"Oh, sorry."

AHAHHA.

Sorry, I'm ho'ing it up on dead threads again.

John Landis might be one of the most underrated filmmakers of the 80's and possibly all time. An American Werewolf In London alone makes him underrated. That is the only movie that has ever scared me.

He pretty much sums up the shitty decade that was the 80's. Yes, it was really shitty, but more importantly it was fun.

It's like there was no intelligence allowed in the 80's. It was just one fun ass time. And Landis led the pack as far as movies go. Maybe that's why he wasn't able to make it post 80's??

Well, he's one of the best interviews I have ever seen. He truly loves movies and comedy and it shows when he talks about them. He seems like an alright fella.

I wish he'd make another great film. He deserves it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Weak2ndAct

Though it's a documentary, 'Slasher' is the best film he's done in... well, a really long time.  Definitely worth tracking down.

72teeth

They show it on IFC a lot...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

RegularKarate

That's because it was made FOR IFC... that movie could have been a lot better, but he wasn't given enough money to complete his "vision".

72teeth

it seemed pretty complete...What'd IFC screw him out of..
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

RegularKarate

The opening scene with the news footage was supposed to be a running theme of the film, but they couldn't afford the news footage.