What is filmmaking

Started by I.ce Bergman, February 27, 2004, 08:22:00 PM

SoNowThen

I think the need to discuss this is fine, and many of us probably would. But -- in North America, anyway -- for these discussions to take on any intial impact, the wording might be better if it were a little less formal.

On a message board anyway...

(didn't you read the banner? we're 93% sarcasm)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

yeah sure, that and

1. it was posted in the wrong section.

2. at least do a search and find a relevant thread in which to post this, most recently this topic has been talked to death over here http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5200&start=0, to name but one place out of probable hundreds. it's constantly brought up in context of whatever movie is being discussed, refer to 21 Grams and the Oscar discussion of Return of the King/LiT for examples.

3. ppl tend to ignore when a new member goes into a long tirade without even an introduction or attempt at context, especially about a topic as overdone as this.

4. now that u have graciously revealed what this was meant to be, we don't appreciate plagiarism or inept attempts at punk'ng.. (except from mogwai, aka the punk'n master)

so, don't feel bad if we are not instantly awed by ur mind games. better luck next time.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

I.ce Bergman

Yeah, yeah, just what the world needs...another idealist.
But that the white eye-lid of the screen reflect its proper light, the Universe would go up in flames.  __Luis Bunuel, 1960

cowboykurtis

Quote from: I.ce BergmanYeah, yeah, just what the world needs...another idealist.

point taken, but i have one question for you -- what is life?
...your excuses are your own...

I.ce Bergman

I was actually referring that statement to myself.  Admitting that my idea was a little far fetched for this board.  However I will answer your question: Love and Film.  That my dear boy is life.

BTW- p, thanks for directing me to the proper strand of discussion.  I apologize for not recogninzing before posting.  I must say that plagerism is a harsh critisism: I was planning to say where it was from.  To be honest I'm not even sure what you mean by punk'd but nevertheless I meant no harm.
But that the white eye-lid of the screen reflect its proper light, the Universe would go up in flames.  __Luis Bunuel, 1960

SmellyBoobFungus

try posting this on the pta section(i know it's completely irreverent), but it's the closest thing you'll get to a serious response.
Guy with spoon: My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big.
Banana: I am a banana!

Rejected