tips for Oink ratio (and now Spotify)

Started by cron, July 05, 2007, 11:27:21 PM

Chest Rockwell

I used to have an account with What but stopped using it because I had no internet connection for a year at my place. Wasn't a power user or anything but I had uploaded a few things (that I had surprising difficulty getting people to download).

Is there some way to get it back?

Stefen

From the What.CD Wiki.

QuoteEvery now and then we run scripts to disable inactive accounts (that is, accounts where one does not use the web site for longer than six weeks in a row). They are disabled, and it is unlikely you will get them back without a good excuse. Donors and Power Users (or higher) are exempt from being automatically disabled for inactivity.

There is no functionality to "park" an account, as all that is needed to reset the inactivity timer is to browse one page while logged in to the site.

If being away for more than 6 weeks is unavoidable, you must either become a Power User (or higher) or donate, as both of these classes are immune to inactivity rules.

A new invitee that confirms his or her account will have one week to log in for the first time before that account is rendered inactive.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Yo Stephen I now have a super mega fast 30 mbps connection, do you know any super good music/movie download thingy???

Fernando

Top 4 worst things I found out this morning....

1. mininova is death
2. so far can't find another torrent site, therefore,
3. haven't dl dexter s04e10
4. neither last night's californication

Top 1 to make my day better

1. receive the assistance of the xixax gang to see those shows (mainly dexter, help!!!)

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

MacGuffin

Quote from: Stefen on November 30, 2009, 12:32:17 PM
Didn't the pirate bay go legit, too?

'The End of an Era' - Pirate Bay Stops Sharing Files
by Dawn Taylor; Cinematical

Pirate Bay, the popular tracking service for torrents on the Internet, has announced that they're shutting down their file-sharing servers -- but that doesn't mean they're out of the file-sharing business entirely.

The move is most likely a way to get out from under the legal complications attached to connecting users with illegally uploaded movies, music and other data, but as usual, the Pirate Bay folks are taking an unexpected road when it comes to their public announcement. "With decentralized fetching of metadata (torrents) we don't need to rely on a single server that stores and distributes torrent files," reads the the statement on the Pirate Bay site. "This is what we consider to be the future. Faster and more stability for the users because there is no central point to rely upon." The statement also noted that "the decentralized system for finding peers is so well developed ... there is no need to run a tracker anymore, so it will remain down! It's the end of an era."

As reported here in July, the owners of Pirate Bay were found guilty in a Swedish copyright trial earlier this year and sentenced to a year in prison. They were also ordered to pay over $4 million in damages. The site remained in operation, however, and new owners said that Pirate Bay would be going legit, "with a new business model, which satisfies the requirements and needs of all parties, content providers, broadband operators, end users, and the judiciary." It would appear that this is the first step in that process.

Word is that Pirate Bay -- whose original owners operated the site as part of a larger philosophy of open information-sharing and relaxation of copyright laws -- is encouraging other tracker sites and torrent-download services to join them in a widespread decentralization of torrent use, doing away with trackers altogether. Pirate Bay itself will still operate as a magnet-link repository, which allows users to locate other peer-to-peer file sharers under something called a "distributed hash table" system.

So, essentially, while Pirate Bay is shutting down its file-sharing services, it still exists to hook up download-happy Internet users with those who upload movies for widespread consumption. However you feel about ethics of file sharing, one thing is clear -- technology's moving faster than the law, and the practice is becoming more widespread every day.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

don't use isohunt... it's a public tracker and that makes it super easy to get caught... a few of my friends have gotten cease and desist orders from downloading games and movies from isohunt. it could just as easily have been a notice of a coming $200,000 fine and/or legal battle
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pas

were they downloading like crazy or just normal 10-20gb a month??

I use rapidshare, for a couple bucks a month I download anything I want at a very good speed. Can't be bothered by bad public torrents or respecing a ratio in private sites.

Reinhold

one guy got his C&D after using it the first time (at my recommendation, unfortunately) downloading less than 1gb-- the game starcraft.

as for the other two people they were probably over 20gb for the period that they got caught but i don't know. they were getting lossless music

edit: now that i think about the music stuff  was also done on college campuses. i don't know for sure that the C&D's came from the music industry or if it was just from the campus. either way, isohunt isn't safe.

(btw, can a mod split/move this to the downloading thread?)
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who got his door kicked in by the anti-piracy gestapo and had a mail bag thrown over his head and was taken in for questioning all because he downloaded Dungeons & Dragons: Defender of Ravenholm 3rd Edition and the FLAC version of the Battlestar Gallactica soundtrack.

Reinhold

point taken, stefen. still, i'd avoid the public trackers if you can. the fines, as infequent as they are, are a big enough deterrent for me.

ono

Quote from: Fernando on November 30, 2009, 11:22:53 AM
3. haven't dl dexter s04e10
http://www.eztv.it/ (uh, when its service isn't down, as it is now).

Sure, it mostly just indexes other site's TV show uploads, but it's the best around.  Surprised to hear about isohunt (always liked that one).  What's this about mininova, though?

My brother swears by newsgroups for getting TV shows, for whatever that's worth.  Faster than torrents, and more anonymous.

Fernando

thanks for the replies, I ended up finding today one through the search of limewire  :multi:

Quote from: ono on November 30, 2009, 05:39:20 PM
What's this about mininova, though?

Mininova limits its activities to Content Distribution service

Hi all,

Today is an important day in the history of Mininova. From now on, we are limiting Mininova.org to our Content Distribution service. By doing so, we comply with the ruling of the Court of Utrecht of last August.

Unfortunately the court ruling leaves us no other option than to take our platform offline, except for the Content Distribution service. According to the verdict (Dutch link) we have to prevent uploads of torrents to Mininova that refer to certain titles or to similar-looking titles. We've been testing some filtering systems the last couple of months, but we found that it's neither technically nor operationally possible to implement a 100% working filter system. Therefore, we decided that the only option is to limit Mininova to Content Distribution torrents from now on. We are still considering an appeal at this moment.

We launched our Content Distribution service in 2007. This service allows producers and artists to easily publish and distribute their content for free through Mininova. The launch of Content Distribution has proven to be a success. Countless content owners have used Content Distribution to distribute their content (e.g. albums and documentaries) for free to millions of users. For example, the Dutch band Silence is Sexy released their complete album on Mininova and received the Interactive Award 2009 for doing so. The Dutch television broadcaster VPRO decided to start using Content Distribution in 2009 in order to distribute documentaries.

We would like to thank you for your support. Especially everyone that contributed to Mininova receives a big "thank you!" for the effort! We hope to keep welcoming you on Mininova and our other projects (e.g. Snotr, Dispostable).

Thanks! The Mininova staff

link: http://mnstat.com/images/blog/index.html