PTA + Horror

Started by adolfwolfli, July 07, 2003, 08:01:55 AM

adolfwolfli

I read in a UK Film mag interview PTA briefly mention that he would love to do a horror movie one day.  Was wondering if anyone on this board had heard anything else to this effect.  Does anyone think this is a good idea?  Personally, I think PT's expert use of camera, editing, music and random occurance would make for an excellent horror film.  Also, his quirky writing and character development would obviously make for something original, a welcome antidote to the tired slasher movie and Sixth Sense carbon-copies being churned out in Hollywood.

I imagine it would be like a new John Carpenter movie, but actually good!

Ghostboy

This is a genre I can't WAIT to see him try. I don't want to predict what it will be like...I just want to be surprised and scared to death.

chainsmoking insomniac

As you will be, my friend.  Oh, what a great fucking horror movie it would be!!!! :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

TheVoiceOfNick

I think if PTA made a horror movie, it'd be same crazy sh*t!!! I'd love to see what he could do in the genre... it would definetly be a film to change the way we look at horror films!

By the way, has anyone seen "The Eye" by the Pang brothers? That is some great horror!

Nick

Cecil

i wonder if it would be 3 hours long.

a 3 hour long gore-fest

bonanzataz

i think we have too much faith in him. i don't know, what does he say about horror movies in interviews? does he know the genre well? i love horror movies and i haven't seen a decent one since scream, which doesn't hold up on repeat viewings. sixth sense isn't a horror movie to me. there were a few scary parts, but i don't really consider it horror. i want a movie that's so scary it will make you shit your damn pants. one that has you covering your eyes and saying, "oh dear god when will it stop?!" where the fuck are all the good horror movies? I WANT ONE NOW! if cabin fever sucks, i'm going to be really pissed off.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ernie

It would probably have tons of coke in it.

His next movie is probably going to be the closest he will have gotten to horror so far being an "adventure movie" as he calls it. Although there were a lot of critics and fans that called PDL "scary"...me being one of them.

Victor

boogie nights is kind of a monster movie. eddie adams creating Dirk Diggler is as good as Victor Frankenstien saying "Its Alive".

and taz, i disagree, i think a horror movie would be perfect for paul. something tells me theres some seriously fucked up shit in his head, just waiting to get out, and weve already seen his talent at creating shocking moments. if he can make a romantic comedy scary, imagine what he could do with homicidal radioactive goats.
are you gonna eat with us too?

jokerspath

Quote from: bonanzatazi love horror movies and i haven't seen a decent one since scream, which doesn't hold up on repeat viewings.

So what is a horror movie to you? Have you seen 28 Days Later?  I'm not ready to start defending or putting labels on things, but for the sake of simplicity, woudln't that be one?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

ono

Quote from: Lesterif he can make a romantic comedy scary, imagine what he could do with homicidal radioactive goats.
Best.  Quote.  Ever.  :-D

Seriously, though, I'm just excited, and I think the same as a lot of you about it: whatever PTA does, I think it's going to be interesting, because there's so much creativity and pure energy that goes into his films.  The comparison is correct: PTA is like Tarantino (from Pulp Fiction, mostly) and Scorsese rolled in to one.  But I also liken him to a Tykwer (Run Lola Run) or even Jeunet from Amelie, because that's the kind of energy and emotion I see in his films.  From Scorsese he only gets the grittiness that was apparent in Hard Eight, and I'm glad he's lost some of that, in favor of heart - all the great movies have a lot of heart.

adolfwolfli

Quote from: ebeaman

Although there were a lot of critics and fans that called PDL "scary"...me being one of them.

Ebeaman - funny you should say this.  I started this thread after watching PDL on DVD last night, and I was thinking how downright hair-raising and harrowing it is at points.  PTA's gift at creating this sort of coked-up nervous excitement, constantly ratcheting-up tension, would make for an EXCELLENT horror movie.

Another board member asked if PTA knows the genre well.  I can't say for sure, though I've read an interview with him where he confesses to loving some of Carpenter's early films (The Thing, Escape from NY, Halloween etc.).  There's definitely a Carpenter influence bubbling under the surface of PTA's films, especially in the use of the Cinemascope 2:35-1 widescreen.

On top of that, from what I've learned about Paul, he seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of film, so I wouldn't doubt that he's seen his share of horror films, especially the 70s stuff.

bonanzataz

Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: bonanzatazi love horror movies and i haven't seen a decent one since scream, which doesn't hold up on repeat viewings.

So what is a horror movie to you? Have you seen 28 Days Later?  I'm not ready to start defending or putting labels on things, but for the sake of simplicity, woudln't that be one?

aw

yeah, i saw 28 days later and i thought it was really good, but i just wasn't scared. the last time i was actually shaking in my seat while watching a movie was sixth sense, so i guess it really is a horror movie, i just forgot about how scared i initially was. i noted scream because i'm still scared that if i turn the lights on the guy in the mask will be there waiting for me with a knife. i wasn't really scared of the zombies in 28 days later because i knew it was just a movie and couldn't let go of that for some reason. last night i was watching the birds and i was a little freaked out, but, for one thing, i'd seen it a million times and, for another thing, there were people sleeping so i had to keep it down and those bird sound effects just aren't scary when you can't crank up the volume. i want to get scared in a theater. i haven't had that in a long time. it's not the same at home, i was saying this in another thread. nothing beats going to the theater. i don't care if you have a 70" screen and DTS sound, nothing beats it. we need somebody (don't care who, paul, whoever) to come along and crack our skulls open with some scary, hard-hitting shit.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

chainsmoking insomniac

I watched The Shining on a friend's 40" screen and that was as close to fucking scary as I've gotten so far.  

I love movies that leave you feeling drained (or elated or whatever).  Se7en did that to me.  I was literally shaking and sweaty when I walked out of that theater.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Vile5

People, you must to remind that a good number of filmmakers would like to do any kind of movies, so PTA would love to make an horror film,yeah  but it doesn't mean that he will, anyway i can't imagine how would be an horror movie by PTA, and maybe that's the reason why i love PTA's work, because he always surprise me.
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

oakmanc234

Horror. I can't think of a genre that I'd hate more for him to take on at the moment. I don't know. I just can't picture it. It's such a quantum leap of a genre.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'