tips to be a good viewer/get movies better

Started by Alexandro, March 16, 2006, 03:43:23 PM

Alexandro

Ok so maybe no one will think this is worth of any time, but I've been trying to put together a list of things, attitudes, tips, whatever, that people should have in order to either be better at watching movies or understanding them better. Let me be a little clearer: if someone would ask you for advice about watching movies and how to sort it out to only end up watching worthy movies, what would you tell them?? Or in order ot enjoy movies in the richest possible way you can imagine??

For example I would say something lilke:

1) There are no rules. Films, or any work of art for that matter, is not supposed to be anything. It's about feelings, so any rule can be thrown out the window. You don't approach a movie thinking that it should be, develop, have in it, something in special, be it plot, character development, subject matter, genre, etc...First you feel it, and then you think aobut it.

2) Going deeper into it, subject matter doesn't define how enjoyable a movie can be. Just because a movie is about golf and you don't like golf it means that you won't like it. Nobody likes war (except for certain presidents), but a war film can be great.

And so on...but I wanna hear some other thoughts on this.