cinema needs to be shaken, not stirred (squid vs truth)

Started by w/o horse, October 22, 2005, 03:39:24 PM

JG

Quote from: Pubrickmore LTH/JB/GT and less JimmyGator please.

you're right.  i sound like a complete idiot in this thread.   :cry: i'll shut up now.

Gold Trumpet

I'll chime in.

With the new crop of filmmakers, I'm not enthusiastic. Wes Anderson is essentially a cult filmmaker. He makes films that really are for his audience. With how much linkage his last three films have, there was little doubt his core of fans were going to be displeased. Him making his films doesn't necessarily bother me, but the weight they are given does. Where many eye great talent in his work, I just see someone who filled another niche. His next project, animation, unlikely will have any semblance of true progression. Just another avenue for his brand of storytelling. As he continues to make films, the only progression I really see is the budget. I hope to be proven wrong.

Tarantino is not responsible for Boondock Saints, but the opportunism of his films and their success allowed for a film like Boondock Saints to get made and released. There will always be people who have aspirations to make the new gore fest. Not all of them will claim Tarantino their inspiration, but they can thank him for dusting off a welcome mat into Hollywood.

My problem is that these two filmmakers are two of the biggest faces for Independent Cinema in the United States. This country has too much freedom. Totalitarianism has some advantages. Their filmmakers, when given budget to make a film, handle their stories with better care and weight because they realize how lucky they are to be making a film. We're allowing too many films to get made that have no ambition and reek of geekiness.