Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

cute! they'll have handsome babies, that's for sure.
context, context, context.

freakerdude

Since this thread was bumped up, my favorite is Bjork...........b/c she is, well, Bjork!
MC Pee Pants

godardian

I've been sort of re-exploring Sinead O'Connor. It's always a mixed bag with her, but she has such a gorgeous voice, and when she's good, she's really, really good.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Finn

I vote for Aimee Mann, hands down.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

godardian

Quote from: SydneyI vote for Aimee Mann, hands down.

I love your avatar.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I love Aimee Mann and Portishead, magnificent driving music.

Their drummer's a guy, but girls otherwise, I like the Breeders.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

i would like to add beth, and beth.
under the paving stones.

myadopteddaughter

Joanie Mitchell
and
Carly Simon (I bet you think this song is about you, is not her best song)

Tori Amos is amazing, and I am looking forward to more Fiona Apple.
mmm, mmmm good

blueminded

i have to say beth gibbons, in portishead and in out of season.
also alison goldfrapp, sia furler and sophie barker (zero7), vocalists of lamb and lovage.
anyway...janis joplin has to be in this list too.

Sigur Rós

godardian

Quote from: chuckhimselfoin Nico already on this thread?

I'm pretty sure I mentioned her long ago, but she deserves as many mentions as are given her. Desert Shore and The End are devastatingly, mind-shatteringly brilliant records.

pookiethecat

yeah, i recently started listening to tuesday nights music club and really like it.  sheryl crow had a lot of spirit and charm on that record.  it may not be the best album musically, but it has charisma...which is unusual for an album.
i wanna lick 'em.

Film Student

Chan from Cat Power is my favorite, hands down.  Alternately sensitive and harsh, beautiful, tragic, innocent, weary, retro, an old soul...  thats such a terrible description of how I feel about her music, but all I can say is it comforts me on a rainy day, and any other day for that matter... I want to marry her...

Bjork would be a very close second, as well as Fiona, Tori, the girl from portishead (don't know her name unfortunately)...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter