The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Started by underdog, February 27, 2003, 10:14:59 AM

Stefen

His heart totally isn't in it.

It's businessman Peter Jackson. Might be worse than businessman Steven Spielberg.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

Still nowhere as bad as businessman George Lucas.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

This movie is a MESS. The only reason anyone seems to want to make it is to make tons of money. It's pretty much the ultimate sellout move by Peter Jackson. You can totally tell he's not into it and is just doing it for the bucks. The fact that he will direct but it won't shoot in New Zealand is pretty shitty. I mean, isn't that his place? I'm sure it will make a billion bucks, but it just seems like everyone involved is involved for the wrong reasons. A passion project this is not.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Jackson blames thesps for 'Hobbit' crisis
Director takes aim at Kiwi unions in TV interview
Source: Variety

SYDNEY -- In a television interview in New Zealand overnight Peter Jackson has put the blame for "The Hobbit" crisis on a handful of actors who "do not actually understand the real repercussions and the situation."

Talking to NZ's TVONE, Jackson also took fire at Council of Trade Unions prexy Helen Kelly, saying she was "behaving like someone who thinks she knows about filmmaking and who hasn't got a goddamn clue."

Kelly remains convinced that "The Hobbit" is being lured overseas by better coin and that Warners knew as early as the weekend that the boycott was set to be lifted. But whether these few days would have had any real effect is not known.

Execs from Warner are heading to New Zealand next week to make a decision on where to shoot the pic that was greenlit recently with Jackson as helmer.

"Up until a month ago, no one had even thought in a million years that this movie was going to leave the country. And then this blacklist was brought on, and the studio said 'What the hell is going on?,' and we tried to figure out what the hell was going on," Jackson said. "At that point confidence in our country as a stable base to make movies started to erode."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i must see that interview!

here it is!

this is an excellent scandal.. everyone watch the first 7 mins of the above clip, PJ seriously goes off. i can't imagine any director in america talking like that or getting so angry like this on tv.. the fact he reckons the PRIME MINISTER should get involved plays so perfectly into the image everyone has of new zealand that it's like a small town. it makes you think that PJ is actually the most powerful person in the country.

haha if you watch the second half of the clip it is just hilarious to see these politicians say "the hobbit" so much. this shit is the biggest news in new zealand since those three dudes .
under the paving stones.

Sleepless

That's for the link, P. To me, the newscast was reminiscent of news in the UK - another small country. I did find it funny the number of times PJ and the minister stuck all the blame with the Australians. Like everything that goes wrong in New Zealand is naturally their fault.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Quote from: P on October 24, 2010, 01:09:45 AM
this shit is the biggest news in new zealand since those three dudes .

haha oh my!

Fernando

^^ even better, they were four!

I envy New Zeland actually, I wish THAT could be the biggest news in México, instead this weekend around 80 ppl were murdered because of the war against organized crime....   :yabbse-undecided:

THE WIRE

Stefen

MacGuffin

'The Hobbit' Titles Confirmed; Part 1 Hits December 14, 2012 & Part 2 On December 13, 2013
Source: The Playlist

Surviving a studio bankruptcy, a director exiting the project, a possible union strike, and a stomach ulcer, "The Hobbit" is actually happening and in the midst of a 14 month shoot. The highly anticipated pair of films have largely been operating with full interaction with the fans, with Peter Jackson frequently hitting Facebook to provide updates and answer questions, but fans have also been savvy and while today brings the official confirmation of the titles of each film, they've been knocking around for a couple of months now. New Line, Warner Bros. and MGM have announced that the first film will arrive as "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" with the followup titled "The Hobbit: There and Back Again." Referencing/acknowledging the source material directly ("An Unexpected Journey" riffs on "An Unexpected Party," the first chapter of the book while "There And Back Again" is lifted directly). Tolkien-heads should be more than pleased. So, when will you get to see these 3D sequels? Well, "An Unexpected Journey" will land on December 14, 2012. The move will certainly piss off Fox which has Ang Lee's adaptation of "Life Of Pi" scheduled for the same day. We expect it to be moved out of the way shortly. Meanwhile, "There And Back Again" will hit on December 13, 2013 which currently has nothing else slated and we imagine, most studios will steer clear. The press release also recaps the extensive cast, so let's do that shall we? Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O'Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas and Aidan Turner will all feature in the films. Still lots more to come from the Shire.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Has anyone seen the pictures that are on IMDB?

Martin Freeman is pretty excellent casting I'd say.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

Kind of excited for this.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

I'm sure the general consensus is going to be that it's great to see Gandalf, Frodo, Gollum, etc back in action, but I'm not really impressed by that trailer. I'm sure it'll be a great movie and I'll see it regardless, but the inclusion of the dwarves singing has me concerned that PJ and co are adding a lot of padding to these movies from the appendixes of Tolkein's books. Like I said, I'm sure the movies will be great, but I think it's going to serve me better to get excited about stills rather than trailers.

Love the poster though.

matt35mm

Did anyone else feel that the digital photography was so sharp that it was more obvious that it's just full of dudes wearing makeup?

I'm mostly excited to see the 48 fps.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: matt35mm on December 21, 2011, 09:11:40 AM
I'm mostly excited to see the 48 fps.
I'm worried that the effect will be similar to the "motion smoothing" you can observe on some HDTVs, you know, the absence of motion blur? It gives me a headache AND it looks unnatural and turns everything into cheap video. I hope that will not be the result of these faster frame rates, but that's the way it seems to me.
I assume that it is mostly in aid of the new 3D mode of filmmaking, but I just can't stand behind it.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.