Nicolas Roeg

Started by MacGuffin, July 17, 2006, 01:49:08 AM

MacGuffin

Funding for Roeg's Next
Source: Cinematical

The ageless Nicolas Roeg (ok, he's not really ageless, just 78 and still going strong) received government funding last week for his latest film, an adaptation of Fay Weldon's 1980 novel Puffball that is already in post-production. According to a report in Screen Daily, Roeg got just over $1 million from the UK Film Council's New Cinema Fund to help finance the film, which stars Kelly Reilly, Miranda Richardson and Donald Sutherland.

Though a look at Amazon suggest that the British Weldon isn't too well-known in the US, she's established in the UK, and her books have been quite successful there. The one in question, Puffball, is "a tale of witchcraft and childbirth" in which a pregnant woman is abandoned by her husband, and then find herself the target of assorted spells cast by a neighbor who, for some reason, "believes that the baby ... should rightfully be in her." The only summary I can find describes the novel as "by turns hilarious and frightening," and Weldon has a reputation of touching on feminist issues in her work. So, basically, it's impossible to imagine what the tone of this one might be, but Roeg has successfully told very odd stories before, so his presence (along with that of Richardson, who plays the witchy neighbor) is an encouraging one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I'm begining to be a huge fan of Roeg. Right under David Lynch and PTA he's now my fav. director. I just finished The Man Who Fell To Earth on Blu-ray and its now one of my fav. sci-fi films but I wouldn't consider sci-fi. Anyone who hasn't should see this...Performance is my second fav. film of all time which he co-directed with Donald Cammel. I really enjoyed Don't look now and The Witches has a star performance by Angelica Huston. Walkabout had an astonishing realism to it that can't be ignored and I'm soon going to view Bad Timing. I'm also looking forward to seeing track 29, puffball, insignificance and eureka. And will post my reviews ASAP.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

I've never even heard of him.  :oops:

I used to love The Witches when I was a kid. It's one I haven't thought of in awhile and something I should revisit. Actually, I should re-read some of Roald Dahl's books as well. I used to love those as a kid as well.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

jesus stefen...unless your completely fucking with me, thats sad. I'd recommend watching 'don't look now' for your second film into roeg's oerve. I need to reread Dahl's books as well...but I haveto get through some other books first.

My Collection

72teeth

Love Man Who Fell to Earth! It's like the flipside of Brother from Another Planet... and I've had Bad Timing for yeeaars and never bothered to watch it...

shame on me?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

New Feeling

Bad Timing is worth watching asap.

SiliasRuby

My Collection

hedwig

Quote from: 72teeth on January 20, 2009, 11:16:20 PM
Love Man Who Fell to Earth! It's like the flipside of Brother from Another Planet

shame on me?
hell yeah. i've thought about that before, those two movies would make a kickass double feature.

Quote from: 72teeth on January 20, 2009, 11:16:20 PM
... and I've had Bad Timing for yeeaars and never bothered to watch it...
watch it.. but i'm warning you, it will forever change the way you look at Art Garfunkel. :|

nix

All too true. I saw Bad Timing recently and now get a little nauseous every time I'm scanning the music section and stumble upon a Simon and Garfunkel album.

Speaking of Bad Timing and music, this movie single handedly restored my love for "Who Are You" which I developed a serious distaste for because it's so fucking overplayed. One could argue that it's use in the film is a bit on the nose, but it worked like a charm for me.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

samsong

hedwig

ok if we're just gonna namedrop:

W A L K A B O U T

&

P E R F O R M A N C E

has anyone seen Puffball? if siliasrubes had not revived this thread, i'd have no idea of its existence. :shock:

Bethie

JUST watched Walkabout. Unbelievable. Watched Performance last week. Blown away by both films. The Man Who Fell To Earth just went to the top of my queue.
who likes movies anyway

SiliasRuby

'The Man Who Fell To Earth' is fan-fucking-tastic. Enjoy bethie.

My Collection

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: SiliasRuby on February 22, 2009, 12:36:42 PM
Seriously. Roeg is one of the great unsung directors, and I'm glad the Criterion releases have been increasing notoriety.

Bethie

Quote from: SiliasRuby on February 22, 2009, 12:36:42 PM

some parts really frightened me. i'm going to have to dig the night light out of my drawer. i swear.
who likes movies anyway