Freaks and Geeks DVD?

Started by Redlum, August 08, 2003, 06:30:35 AM

Stefen

Quote from: meatwad
Quote from: StefenIts one of those things that will make you feel uncomfortable numerous times throughout an episode. Some things you aernt supposed to laugh at you find yourself laughing at.

and strangers with candy isn't that?

Not really, cause swc is intended to be funny, freaks and geeks most of the time isn't. It just plays on that awkward teenage angst. Whereas strangers with candy is littered with unbelieveable but hilarious characters.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

cine

Quote from: StefenNot really, cause swc is intended to be funny, freaks and geeks most of the time isn't. It just plays on that awkward teenage angst.
If this is the case, then I won't be getting it..... somebody want to shoot down Stefen's point?

Stefen

Quote from: 50 Centiphile
Quote from: StefenNot really, cause swc is intended to be funny, freaks and geeks most of the time isn't. It just plays on that awkward teenage angst.
If this is the case, then I won't be getting it..... somebody want to shoot down Stefen's point?

You are a heartless bastard. I am right. and it is good. trust me on this wanksta.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

American Splendor?  I think more like a nice version of Welcome to the Dollhouse or parts of Rushmore or the film version of Marty.  You know, you laugh out of identification--that you've lived through it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

kind of like The Wonder Years but in high school.  and without the narration or the fond reminiscing.  i saw an episode or two and it seemed good, so i'm going to check it out netflix style soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

forget any comedy in it, it's more touching than humorous.

there's no speck of fakeness in it, it's realistic and what pete said. mostly the appeal is that u fall in love with the characters as real ppl, and if u don't then u hav emotional problems.

it works on more levels than UCB/SWC (blasphemy?), it's subtle.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick
there's no speck of fakeness in it, it's realistic and what pete said. mostly the appeal is that u fall in love with the characters as real ppl, and if u don't then u hav emotional problems.

I'm considering buying the set, but it seems sort of sad to fall in love with these characters for 18 episodes, and then that's it.  No more episodes to watch.

Stefen

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: Pubrick

I'm considering buying the set, but it seems sort of sad to fall in love with these characters for 18 episodes, and then that's it.  No more episodes to watch.

P nailed my feelings on it. And yes, it sucks when you see the last episode and know you will never see any more of it. Maybe just watch until episode 16. That way you know you always have two more episodes to watch, even though you never will.

pete

what the hell is this?  it's a dvd boxset and you're suggesting ravi pull a dancer in the dark all up on this motherfucker?  what's wrong with you.
buy it, watch it, lament why there aren't any more good shit out there, then go out and make some kickass movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Fuck you pete. That was funny as shit.

Sleuth

Quote from: Pubrickforget any comedy in it, it's more touching than humorous.

it works on more levels than UCB/SWC (blasphemy?), it's subtle.

It's not blasphemy because it's true.  UCB/SWC is really just silliness that is often improv-based but a lot of times it happens to be satirical.  FAG is something altogether.  You were right when you said it's more touching than humorous, which is the best point to make because from a PURELY comedic point, which is probably what Cinephile first started out with, it isn't funnier.  Wes Anderson films are a good comparison as well.
I like to hug dogs

Redlum

Quote from: petewhat the hell is this?  it's a dvd boxset and you're suggesting ravi pull a dancer in the dark all up on this motherfucker?  

Haha, thats great.

I think its more like Rushmore but with the sensibilities and understatement of Bottle Rocket.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Redlum

Here's the first 8 minutes from the pilot episode. Not really that representative, as its basically just setting up the characters but its a nice taster.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/FreaksandGeeksTheCompleteSeries-1129931/trailers.php
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Redlum

IGN are doing a ten question's thing with the cast of Freaks and Geeks...

Martin Starr (Haverchuck)
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/511/511505p1.html

John Daley (Sam)
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/509/509708p1.html

Sam Levinne (Neil)
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/513/513971p1.html
  -  George Lucas