Ordinary People

Started by filmcritic, June 16, 2003, 11:23:25 AM

filmcritic

Does anyone remember "Ordinary People" from 1980. It won a few Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director (Robert Redford). It's a great film and over the years it's become a classic. If you haven't, rent it. Movies don't get much more powerful than this.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

MacGuffin

Otherwise known as the film that robbed "Raging Bull" and Martin Scorsese of their Oscars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

Quote from: MacGuffinOtherwise known as the film that robbed "Raging Bull" and Martin Scorsese of their Oscars.

hehe.....You just killed the thread!  :wink:

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinOtherwise known as the film that robbed "Raging Bull" and Martin Scorsese of their Oscars.

Yes, thank you. That's why I will always be biased against this film.

I read a 2nd draft of the script when I was in film school, and had nothing to do. There was a little script library down on Water Street in Vancouver, so I headed out and did the whole thing in a few hours. I dunno, but unless they did some great re-writes, it didn't seem all that great. That being said, I still want to see it one day, if for nothing else so I can compare a script to a movie I hadn't seen yet.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i just saw it recently (mostly due to PTA screening it for his crew for magnolia along with Network, and not to its undue best picture win), and thought it was good.  it was good and sad, reminded me a bit of moonlight mile (or rather the other way around).  but if you havent seen it i would say its worth watching.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Pauline Kael despised it, but I have a fondness for this autumnal/wintry type of film (in tone and composition, I mean). It's much along the lines of Woody Allen's Interiors- Bergman goes American suburbia, in this case.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mellow Fellow

about time some one mentioned this movie here, ha, im actually friends with noah hutton, timothys kid, it was cool i got to hang with them and deborah winger one time...good times
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

godardian

Quote from: Mellow Fellowabout time some one mentioned this movie here, ha, im actually friends with noah hutton, timothys kid, it was cool i got to hang with them and deborah winger one time...good times

Did Winger's personality at all reflect all the things you hear (I think she's a terrific actor, but I've never read or heard about even one instance where she really got along with cast or crew)?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

filmcritic

"Ordinary People" shouldn't be compared with "Raging Bull". They are both classics and they are both great in their own way. If "Raging Bull" came out a year before or after "Ordinary People", then maybe people out there could stop comparing them. Take them as individual efforts. Personally, both movies were at number 1 on my top ten list of 1980. Both were the best films of the year.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Duck Sauce

Quote from: godardianPauline Kael despised it.

Yeah, but she hated everything.... any similar recomendations to Oridinary People?

Mellow Fellow

regarding deborah winger as was inquired, she seemed pretty awesome to me, made really good food
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

godardian

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: godardianPauline Kael despised it.

Yeah, but she hated everything....

Aren't you forgetting a little movie called... PENNIES FROM HEAVEN!?!? :wink:

EL__SCORCHO

Ordinary People's got a hell of script.

godardian

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOOrdinary People's got a hell of script.

Based, as I recall, on a book I've never read. Or even heard of aside from the movie, though it was apparently a passing best-seller type of thing... that's why I'm afraid to read it, I don't want to compromise a perfectly good movie experience by associating it with some therapeutic potboiler of a book. I'm of the opinion that if a bad movie can ruin a good book, then the converse must also hold true.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Mellow Fellowabout time some one mentioned this movie here, ha, im actually friends with noah hutton, timothys kid, it was cool i got to hang with them and deborah winger one time...good times

two of my best friends are good friends with noah as well. they went to a college program over the summer with him. in fact, i think they recorded music together. i wouldn't be surprised if you met.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls