Spider-Man 3

Started by MacGuffin, March 22, 2005, 12:43:47 AM

MacGuffin

Church Will Try to Squash Hero in 'Spidey 3'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Thomas Haden Church, who was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor in "Sideways," has been cast as Spidey's new archenemy in the next chapter of the "Spider-Man" franchise.

Director Sam Raimi made the announcement Monday along with producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

"Spider-Man 3," which is scheduled for release May 4, 2007, will reunite the team that was responsible for the first two blockbuster films, which combined to gross more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales.

The new film will again star Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and Kirsten Dunst is expected to reprise her role as Mary Jane Watson. Production on "Spider-Man 3" is scheduled to begin early next year.

"In addition to the ongoing relationship between Peter Parker and M.J., these films are driven by the great actors who have brought our villains to life," Raimi said. "Thomas Haden Church will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis, and we all look forward to working with him."

The filmmakers are not revealing the identity of the new villain.

Church is voicing one of the characters in the upcoming animated film "Charlotte's Web," and he recently appeared in Columbia Pictures' "Spanglish."

The actor's other credits include the films "George of the Jungle," "3000 Miles to Graceland," "Monkeybone" and "Tombstone." In 2003, he starred in, co-wrote and directed the comedy "Rolling Kansas." On the small screen, Church played Lowell Mather on the NBC series "Wings" from 1990-95 and starred on the 1995-97 Fox comedy "Ned and Stacey."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinChurch Will Try to Squash Hero in 'Spidey 3'

he's got venom's mouf.
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

Isn't he missing some inbetween movies? You just don't go from finally getting acknowledgement as a serious actor straight into a comicbook film. The nerve of some people...

mogwai

are they going to make three more spider-man's after the third? why don't they shoot all three at once instead of three years waiting inbetween movies. toby maguire will be 70 when part six is released.

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiare they going to make three more spider-man's after the third?
not that i know of, and certainly not with tobey. they are only contracted for the first three.

in the making of documentary on the Spider-Man 2 dvd they talk about why they couldn't make them all at once. and the benefits of not having done so.
under the paving stones.

modage

Two Villains in Spider-Man 3?
Source: WhiteKnight April 15, 2005

It appears there could be a possibility that there will be more than one villain in Spider-Man 3, according to a new rumor at Latino Review:

A while back Ain't-It-Cool-News broke the story that Thomas Hayden Church will indeed be playing SANDMAN and that here's a ton of Sandman conceptual art all over the Spidey-offices.

Well today 'Anonymous' tells us the following: "Yes the Sandman will be in Spider-Man 3 but he's not the only villain. And no it isn't Black Cat like some people were suggesting. It will be SANDMAN AND HOBGOBLIN"

Take this with a grain of salt right now and stay tuned for more on the villain or villains.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know its just a rumor, but take it from the Batman films, loading them up with villians to sell a few more action figures is the quickest way to ruin a franchise.   well, short of hiring Akiva Goldsman to write it anyways.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: MacGuffinChurch Will Try to Squash Hero in 'Spidey 3'

he's got venom's mouf.

I imagine somebody will end up making a Venom film if the character doesn't show up in a Spiderman film.

MacGuffin

Three More Spideys Planned
Studio wants six films in all.

Spider-Man helmer Sam Raimi recently spoke with the SCI FI Wire website and revealed that Sony Pictures has plans to make a total of six films in the superhero franchise.  Raimi even dropped that he might be willing to direct them all. He says, "I've heard Amy Pascal [chairman of Sony's motion picture group] say she wants to make six Spider-Man pictures. ... So I think she's a woman of her word. And if she says there'll be six, there'll be six. ... If they were to ask me, and if I felt as passionate as I feel now about the character and had this great hunger and desire to tell the story, which I really do now, you couldn't keep me away from it."

Raimi is currently in preproduction on Spider-Man 3, which he says will partially deal with Peter's emotional journey as he deals with the death of Uncle Ben.  "The task that I had was to try and understand where he was when we last left him ... at the end of Spider-Man 2, trying to figure out what he lacked as a human being, as far as where he was immature and what he had not learned," Raimi said.

Sideways star Thomas Haden Church has joined the cast as the villain, but nobody's saying who that is yet.  Raimi added, "We had to choose a villain that represented a proper obstacle in the path of that growth. He says the identity of the bad guy is being withheld until Sony and Marvel can make a big presentation for the fans."

Spider-Man 3 is set for a May 4, 2007 release.  Production on the film is scheduled to begin early next year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

He's going to be the first one to make a franchise still watchable past three?

Sam, there are other superheroes.

MacGuffin

That '70s "Spider-Man"!
Source: E! Online

Topher Grace is checking out of the basement and into the big time.

Coming on the heels of his last regular installment of That '70s Show, the actor has been tapped to join the cast of Spider-Man 3, Columbia Pictures announced Thursday.

Grace will join one of the biggest franchises in film, appearing alongside original Spider Man cast members Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco and recently announced addition Thomas Haden Church in the would-be blockbuster, due May 4, 2007.

Sam Raimi will return to direct the highly anticipated third installment, which starts shooting early next year.

"Topher Grace is an extraordinarily talented actor and will be perfect for the complexities of the role we are developing," Raimi said in a press release.

Of course, Raimi was mum on exactly what those "complexities" would be, leaving it up to the movie rumor sites to begin speculating on just which Marvel character Grace will essay.

Likewise, when Church was announced as Spidey's newest cinematic ne'er-do-well, Raimi was equally coy, saying the Oscar-nominated Sideways star "will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis and we all look forward to working with him."

It's widely assumed that multiple villains will appear in Spider-Man 3, and Grace is already an odds-on favorite to be one of them.

Meanwhile, Chloƫ Sevingy, who who has openly campaigned for a slot in the film, hasn't yet made the cut.

The actress has suggested she would make a perfect Black Cat in Spider-Man 3, but, per fan Website GoblinJournals.com, an "anonymous source" close to the film says there will be no Black Cat role in the new film; instead, the two baddies will be Sandman and Hobgoblin.

Villain issues aside, Spider-Man 3 is about the closest thing there is to a box-office lock.

Spider-Man 2 smashed records when it opened last summer, becoming the third film ever to earn more than $40 million in a single day. The film went on the gross $373 million at the U.S. box office. The original Spider-Man grossed $403 million domestically during its 2002 run. So far, the webslinger franchise has grossed more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales.

This represents Grace's biggest movie role to date. The actor, who along with Ashton Kutcher, decided to leave That '70s Show to pursue movie roles (they will both be back as guest stars in a handful episodes next season), has racked up solid cinematic credits. He most recently starred in In Good Company and the indie flick P.S., and had smaller roles in Traffic, Ocean's Eleven and Ocean's Twelve.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

I think Grace would make a good Doppleganger
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Franco a Villain in Spidey 3?
IGN talks to the actor about the role!

For two movies now, James Franco has played the angst ridden Harry Osborne, son of genius and former supervillain Norman Osborne (otherwise known as the Green Goblin). Harry has never gotten over the death of his father and heavily blames Spider-Man for the death. In Spider-Man 2, the ending hinted heavily that Harry would soon follow in his father's villainous footsteps.

IGN FilmForce got the chance to speak with Franco this weekend. With the shoot for Spidey 3 only months away, we asked him about his thoughts on returning to the franchise. "Not until January. But they're gearing up. I mean, I've met with Sam Raimi a couple of times to discuss it. I think there will be a little shoot in September. On the past two Spider-Man movies, they really invent a lot of the techniques that go into it and they're coming up with new stuff on each of these films - so what they do is, they shoot a scene or two months out from the main production, so then the effects team can go in and start, you know, experimenting with how they're going to go about bringing these superheroes to life. So they'll be a little shoot in September and then everybody will get together in January to do the main shoot."

Raimi and just about everybody involved with the project are remaining extremely tight-lipped on which villains will be featured in Spider-Man 3. Although the casting of Topher Grace and Thomas Haden Church has been announced, there roles have not. "I don't know. I've never met [them]. I'm a fan. I thought Sideways was awesome, but I've never met them." There has also been no confirmation on whether Harry will become a villain. "Nobody has a script yet, so… Yeah, definitely something's hinted. But although, I think everybody's tried to be pretty loyal to the spirit of the comics and things. I don't think they want to be too obvious about what's going to happen… As far as my, what they've given me so far, in the last two movies - I feel like I have the most kind of tortured character in the movies and so, it's always great to play as an actor."

Franco says that he has been speaking with Raimi about his part in 3 ever since the premiere of 2. "He gets on this so early. I remember meeting with him right before the premiere of Spider-Man 2 and we discussed the outline of character and his arc. And then we met again. Just discussing - He has ideas [of] where he wants to character to go and he's very, he loves actor input. I remember, even on the first one, going in there with Willem Dafoe and Tobey and Kirsten and just discussing, you know, every scene. Anyways, so he'll come to me with the ideas and then we'll discuss them and we'll meet again three months later and he'll say, 'This is where it's going.' I guess he takes all that stuff and gives it to Alvin Sargeant, the writer, and then we get a script back. But, I think he's very, very conscious… He very much wants to, not just make an action superhero movie - I think the secret to Spider-Man is that the characters are so rich and one of the ways he does that is meeting with the actors and really discussing the scenes between them [such as] swinging through the buildings…"

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I dont really have the time to look for all the pictures and post them, but if you look and get stills of every scene that this guy appears on Spider Man 2, he has that same expression in EVERY SCENE.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

killafilm

So I was working on a short film in LA.  I'm new to the state/city, so i'm not exactly sure where we were.  But I guess it was east la, at least east of the 'LA river.'

Anyhow, I was staging some gear and a bunch of guys walked out of a wharehouse across the street.  They headed towards me and asked what we were filmming.  I then noticed that about half of them were wearing crew shirts for various movies(godzilla, deep impact, and Fan4) so I asked them the same thing.

The answer given was, "oh this silly little movie called Spiderman 3."

I tried to get some info out of them, but alas I could not.  I gathered that they were working on costumes, but it seemed more related to practical effects, because one guy mentioned how stuff looks better when it's not completely CGI.  

Sadly they were not in need of a PA, they did at least laugh a little when I joked that i'd see them tomorrow anyways.