this is a really good song.

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 17, 2009, 08:16:41 PM

RegularKarate

I don't think she's putting on an African accent for that line at all.  I think you're choosing to hear that based on what you already know and the things you've decided about her.

That said.... I find this music very fake and forced.  The video makes me a little sick, it seems very 90s arthouse and it's not fresh at all... it sounds like Bobby McFerrin.

Fernando

Thanks to breaking bad I discovered this:

Timber Timbre - Magic Arrow

song features in S03E02.

squints

Timber Timbre - "Demon Host"

This is another Timber Timbre song from that same album, and it happens to be my favorite.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

They have a good sound, but call me when they write some choruses.
My house, my rules, my coffee

children with angels

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 01, 2011, 11:17:43 AM
I don't think she's putting on an African accent for that line at all.  I think you're choosing to hear that based on what you already know and the things you've decided about her.

That said.... I find this music very fake and forced.  The video makes me a little sick, it seems very 90s arthouse and it's not fresh at all... it sounds like Bobby McFerrin.

Sorry, missed this. I agree about not quite hearing the African influence on the vocals, JB (except for maybe that, what - we might associate the sound 'way', or '-we', with African languages?).

RK - what 90s arthouse would you compare Tuneyards to? (n.b.: This is a request for recommendations, not a rhetorical challenge.)
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Jeremy Blackman

The African "accent" on certain vowels is nitpicking and isolated and kind of subtle, so I'm not pushing that. However, the "African influence on the vocals" is not imaginary... it's her thing. Again, from the interview:

"When I give my influences, I give who they really are: I took this yodeling style from Central Africa, and I took this chordal harmonic sense from Hukwe Zawose in Tanzania. It seems like a tightrope walk of sorts, because one could accuse me of political correctness in the same breath as thievery of African musical traditions."

The Perineum Falcon

THIS is a really really good song.

Listen here here
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

squints

Reel

does having this stuck in my head all week make it a good song? I think Yes!

KREAYSHAWN- GUCCI GUCCI

you guys hate me, I know.

squints

oh man that fucking song, i put it on at parties and at the bar.

Jeremy Blackman

squints

I just made THIS at 4am two nights ago. I played it at a club tonight and it kicked ass.

it kinda sucks....

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 15, 2009, 09:32:12 PM
Musee Mecanique - "Sleeping In Our Clothes"

I mostly love the intro, about 0:00-1:50. But what a mesmerizing and masterful intro it is.

So I was browsing iTunes to see if Musee Mecanique has made another album, and this happened:

- I see a playlist on the left called 20 Underappreciated Masterpieces
- "Oh, that sounds interesting..."
- "Wow... 'Glass' by Bat For Lashes? I love that song!"
- "Number 2 is 'She Purred, While I Grrred?' That song is a masterpiece! And totally underappreciated!"
- [looking further down the list]
- "Oh my God, this is freaking spot on! Creepy!"
- [processing]
- "Oh... right. I made this playlist."

In any case, here it is. Plenty of "really good songs."

http://c.itunes.apple.com/us/imix/20-underappreciated-masterpieces/id386512074

I'm not sure what the 2 songs are that have since fallen off iTunes, because they were originally there. But I'm sure they were amazing.